Pirate 4x4 banner

Shop wall repair

1K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  paulkeith 
#1 ·
Fucking kids today...

In the shop for 'play time' on the weekend and I found this in the back wall behind some stuff I had a, soon to be previous, shop monkey stack up with the big fork truck. Apparently those 96" forks are tricky. :mad3:

It is, thankfully, only through the outer bricks and not into the inner cinder block wall which, I assume, is where the real strength of the building comes from; I guess that is the upside here. Downside is I have no clue when it comes to masonry work...

Is this something that can be easily repaired?

Can I just break out the broken bricks and mortar in some new ones?

How bad is the open hole for the rest of the wall; can a leave this for a bit or should I fix it yesterday?

Thanks.

See less See more
#2 ·
Its not that bad you can leave it open for a bit.. You can pick up a bag of motor and a couple of bricks and go to town... Its simple..Just knock out the broken ones and put moter in and wipe of the xtra..Just like putting butter on bread...

#3 ·
I agree it, won't cause any problems in the short run to leave it open. As said just remove the old bricks and mortar and replace them. A hammer drill will help to remove the bricks. Drill the old ones full of holes or drill out the mortar between the bricks. A cold chisel and mallet will break them up. Be careful not to loosen any other bricks, hence the suggestion of the drill. "butter the sides and top and heavy on the bottom. Slide the brick in place and use a stick or norrow trowel to pack the joints with mortar. After its mostly dry you can take some water and an old terry towel and clean the surface off. A wire brush will work also but may scratch the brick if used to hard and may remove to much from the joint.

Good luck, PM me if you have any problems.

#7 · (Edited)
Well when we usually have one of these repairs , we take a wet grinder to it to take out the Bed (Horizontal) joints then the cross (horizontal) joints, then the bricks come out with a little chisel action.

Without a wet grinder, an old circular saw will work with a masonary blade to cut the bed joint will definately make things go easier when removing the bricks. Just remember the masonary blade can cut brick too so watch out. The BIG warning is that the blade will create a lot of dust which is not only harmful to a circular saw (hence using an old one), it's also very harmful to you and a leading cause of Silicosis so wear proper PPE (ie mask).

I would just cut through the brick in the middle (above the hole) vertically matching with the joint above it as well after doing the bed joints. This should all come out pretty easy with a little chisel work.

Once it's all out, a good suggestion made was to wet down the bricks around the area before you start laying up so the mud doesn't get stiff and dry up on you to quick and crack. Lay the bed joint with mud, butter the ends and start sticking the brick back in. Once all the bricks are done make the joints look nice with a jointer and done deal. Make sure to clean up (face of the brick) before it dries, wet rag works wonders when used carefully.

#8 · (Edited)
One other thing before you begin, make sure you still have a few bricks to repair this or still can acquire the old bricks to match for this repair. Been to a few repairs when all the brick was out, the owner couldn't find replacement brick for one reason or another (ie different size and style mainly).

#9 ·
if this is somewhere that doesnt get a lot of traffic or visibility, just stuff it full of mortar and paint it to look like brick. or don't even paint it.

but, if you want it to look right, chipping out the old and getting 2 new bricks in there wont be hard either.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.