Pirate 4x4 banner

Overhead I beam for lifting and cost for laying pipe!

789 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  DSW 
#1 ·
Anyone have any photo's of their overhead gantry setup? I am looking for some Ideas for the new shop.

I am also concidering spending the extra dough to put water and sewer connection in. I can connect it ith the house lines and will need to trench about 120 feet to the shop and put in a bathroom and wash bay. Just currious if those of you who know or do it for a living figure something like that may cost? I figure 6in line for the sewer and simple 1 inch line for the water.

#2 ·
I worked for an excavator for 5 years and we did a lot of septic and sewer work. It's been a while since I did septic and sewer work so I won't even try to price anthing for you, but here is some general info.

6" line for sewer is over kill. Your house exit to the street is 4" max, for a shop4" for a toilet and 2-3" for just a sink will be fine. 120' is a long way to go. I hope your shop is up hill from the house. At 1/4" / ft ( which is what is generally used for gravity drains for waste) you will need 30" of fall for that length. Most sewers are a min 36" down in our area to stay below the frost line. If the house is level with the shop you won't have enough slope to do it unless your house drain is deeper, at least 6' down. If you have an outside sewer cleanout you can measure down to see how deep it is.

You may have a couple of other options if this wont work. Tie directly in to the sewer main if you are close enough. You may have an aditional monthly charge from the water dept for this. If you are in an area that will accept septic, put in a small seepage ring/cesspool for just the shop. The wash bay may complicate this due to the vol of water, but you could discarge that to a different spot.

A seepage ring / cesspool for just water, no sewage, will probably be acceptable in most locations. You could have a sink but no toilet. Basicly its a hole in the ground that will hold the water untill it seeps into the ground, sometimes its filled with rocks sometimes not. This is what my old shop had. I had a wash sink that drained to a small septic tank out back. this would hold say 375 gal of water and I had some holes in it so it would slowly drain into the stone around the tank. You can't dump a lot of oilly crud down these types of systems because the oil will clog the ground pores and posibly contaminate ground water. In our area most wahing machines drain to one to keep the extra water out of the septic systems.

If you can't get enough fall you might be able to use a grinder pump and pump the stuff up hill to the house. Read EXPENSIVE. I've seen this done in some houses that are to low to tie in to the sewer main by gravity.

The last resort woud be a holding tank that a septic guy would pump out on a regular basis. sort of like an inground porta-pottie. Everything drains there and stays till you have him come and get it. Unfortunately I know several people who have no choise but to do this for their house. The health dept won't give them a new permit for septic so this is their only option.

Water itself is no real problem. Just run cold to the shop and put a small instant or 30 gal water heater in there. Run copper or well casing for the line. Pvc dosent seem to hold up unless its sch 80. In some locations you can not run potable( drinking) water in the same trench as sewer, you will need a seperate trench for both, usually seperated by at least 5'.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.