Pirate 4x4 banner

Welding blankets

6K views 35 replies 21 participants last post by  Todd W 
#1 · (Edited)
I need to pick up a welding blanket to protect my dash pad and seats while working on the front cage. I'd rather not pay a lot, but also don't want to get something that I'll burn a hole through and mess up what it's covering.

Found these on ebay, but I want to make sure that a flax canvas is good enough.

http://cgi.ebay.com/8-FT-x-8-FT-WEL...ZWD1VQQ_trksidZp1638.m118.l1247QQcmdZViewItem

Or maybe the tilman would be better - just not as big:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Tillman-6-x-8-H...ZWD1VQQ_trksidZp1638.m118.l1247QQcmdZViewItem

#2 ·
I've used a big HF canvas blanket doubled for plasma and welding and am happy with it. I added a couple layers of foil under the blankets over real sensitive stuff and haven't had a problem.

#5 ·
Ditto, I'm happy w my HF blanket which claims to be flax canvas per their site:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=41506

they also offer a fiberglass version which is nearly useless. Good for only the lightest of sparks on relatively unimportant surfaces.

If in doubt order two of the canvas and double them up. You'll always need to cover something larger later; they're always useful to have on hand.

#3 ·
IMHO the HF work but are only worth their $20 on sale.
Mine has MANY holes through it. I would not rely on it for protecting anything that can get RUINED by welds. It's good to prevent major `looks` damage to say a coil spring, but I wouldn't use it to protect a gas line,etc.

#10 ·
I've used those rubber backed industrial rugs from Cintas.
Flip them over and use them rubber side up.
Work great.
When you're done, put them back for Cintas to replace :D

#15 ·
Ive learned the hard way that damp furniture pads DON'T work. We always have them laying around and when we are in a jam always hit them with a hudson sprayer and use them. The results are always the same, those blankets really like to burn. We even have tried them damp under fiberglass welding blankets and they always still catch fire

#22 ·
Bumping this back up for more opinions.

I'm getting ready to start on a cage project for my Polaris XP , I'm looking for the utmost in protection. All you guys that are familiar with SxS's know these things are covered in expensive plastic panels and I don't want them burnt up.

Whats the top of the line welding blanket made of ? Anybody own one ?

#26 ·
I have one of these. I have not used it much but it seemed to work really well. It is supposed to be some kind of carbon fiber stuff but it looks and feels like really thick felt. It is almost 1/4" thick which really seems to help with burn through. I have seen them on northern tools website. For around $75 IIRC.

Here is my experiance with the crappy HF welding blankets

#27 ·
I have one of these. I have not used it much but it seemed to work really well. It is supposed to be some kind of carbon fiber stuff but it looks and feels like really thick felt. It is almost 1/4" thick which really seems to help with burn through. I have seen them on northern tools website. For around $75 IIRC

I also saw this style , it looks very tough. How flexible is it?

I recognize the brand-name from weld supplies we buy at work..and our welders only use the best.

#28 ·
I wouldn't get too caught up with the Tillman name. 10 years ago I never heard of them, now they are all over the place. Their gloves have a quality feel about them, but the stitching sucks and they fall apart just as fast as no name cheap stuff. Other than the tillman name I doubt there is anything different from their blankets than something from HF. I have some really pretty blankets that look to be made of woven fiberglass cloth. They have nice brass colored grommets on them. They burn through as fast as anything else. If im doing something I care about at home its a wet towel with the blacket underneath. If its at work its whatever the boss gives me and whatever damp cloth is laying around.

#32 ·
Your description of the old ones is amazingly accurate. I obviously need to replace mine so maybe I will try one of the new ones

#35 · (Edited)
Ended up driving across town and taking a look at blankets at the weld shop I have my tanks filled through. Talked to a couple people milling around the store and the consensus was that the Tillman fiber blankets ain't much better than a HF cheapo and that the Steiner Velvet's are great. It was a toss up between the Steiner and good old fashion cowhide .. until you feel how light the man made stuff is , literally a 1/8th the weight of leather.

So I had them order my up a 8'x8' Velvet shield and I went home and tossed all my nasty , burnt up old bedding I've been using .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.