Pirate 4x4 banner

Shopping list for mill tooling?

1K views 15 replies 14 participants last post by  D60 
#1 ·
I am in the process of scoring a Grizzly G0484 mill, if things work out.

No tooling.

What would be a good "shopping list" so to speak to get started up and running, as far a tooling? What are the essentials, what can come a bit later as I learn more?

#6 ·
check with some local machine shops for stuff that they want to get rid of. i scored a 6 inch kurt vice for free from one of my local shops. all i had to do was clean it up. when i bought my used enco mill i had no clue on what to buy, so i bought alot of stuff from grizzly and enco (check out the sales fliers). clamp kits are great, end mills, collets, stuff to measure with. that will get you started and as you go you will figure out what else you need.

trev

#7 ·
i got a decent chinese vise from www.shars.com. $80 for a 6" kurt-style vise with a swivel base wasn't too bad. the keys that keep it aligned to the T-slots didn't fit my Bridgeport, so i made some custom keys...no big deal.

you'll also need a dial indicator to stick in the spindle, a full set of collets, a hold-down clamp set, and a drill chuck. but the rest as you need it.

i get all of my tooling from Wholesale Tool since they are local. they have special deals on over-runs of stuff, like $8 for a carbide endmill, which is what i stock up on.

#9 ·
I'd start off with a decent vise, collets (few sizes... 3/8", 1/2" if the budget is tight). Drill Chuck (if you don't have a decent drill press).

Rather than buy parallel bars pick up some flat 0-1 steel to use.

You can start making your own "T" nuts (the slots in milling machines are not always the common 5/8" size... I bought T nuts THEN discovered I had 9/16" T slot size.).

Once you've done some projects you'll get a better feel for what other things you need (i.e. rotary table to make that nice alternator bracket).

If I went back and looked at "what I planned to make" vs. "what I ended up making" it would be totally different. Still learning...

#13 ·
Keep an eye on the for sale section, I have a bunch of HSS/carbide E-mills both new and used that I will be putting up for sale real soon.

I bought a tool box from a die maker that retired and it was loaded with perishable tools.

Jeff

#14 · (Edited)
-number one is a good vise. Kurts are about the best out there.
-two is a dial indicator. you need to be able to true the head and square the vice with your table or all you have is a rigid drill press.
-collets. buy a standard set like 1/16 through .75 inch by 16ths.
-buy a set of paralles. an import set is pretty cheap.
-drill chuck. you're going to want to drill holes and aren't going to get 64 plus collets. get a keyless chuck.
-edge finder. buy a decent one. if you get a cheap one you will have to rebug the edge 50 times until you get it right.
-i'd get an msc catalogue and pick up some standard size coated carbide endmills. get the cheapest ones they have to start out with.
-get a nice fly cutter, or a cheap face mill. facing a part with a half inch endmill gets old and is hard on your endmills.
-a cheap boring head is convenient for odd size holes and doing OD's

#15 ·
Fly cutter :D

Basic class at your local college.

Im a machinist by trade and apart from parralels, vices ect you should do a short course type setup so you know what is the best tool for the job and how to use and maintain it correctly

#16 ·
A set of collet blocks (square and hex) and a nice set of 5C collets (watch egay) is invaluable for quickly putting square or hex flats on smaller round parts.

Maybe not a #1 must have, but a close runner-up IMO

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.