Pirate 4x4 banner

20 ton bottle jack leaking down.

6K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  Twisted Minis 
#1 ·
The 20 ton bottle jack on my press has just started to leak down, just 2 days ago i was pressing some bearings apart and the jack was working fine. Then yesterday i went to press some u-joints out and i couldn't pump fast enough to keep pressure on the joints. You can see the jack cylinder move back into the jack..... the press is an arcan thats "made in america"(probably with chinese parts). And is not that old... have any clue what went wrong with it? I don't really want to try to disassemble it. Any ideas?

#5 ·
Oil is passing through somewhere it is not supposed to.

The screw you are talking about, will have an O-ring on it if you take it out. There are also check balls below that. This isn't commonly an issue though.

The most common issue is the pump. Usually the cup seal goes out, and it doesn't build pressure when you pump. It will move fluid, but once it meets some resistance thats about all you get. This is probably your problem. If this where an American made product I could get the Model # from you and send you a new cup seal. However since it is not, I can't really help. You will have to pull it out (very easy, remove the pump lever and it slides out), and take it to a bearign supply house and have them match the cup seal. Should cost more than a few dollars.

#6 ·
the cup seal provides all the sealing for the cylinder? thats blows.... because i can pump it when there is resisitance but you can see the large cylinder going back in to the jack like the bleed screw isnt tight.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.