Pirate 4x4 banner

Price check please: plasma

1K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  SeaBass44 
#1 ·
An old guy about 30 miles from me is sick and is selling off all his equipment. He bought a Miller Spectrum 701 plasma cutter and never really used it. He's old school and preferred torches. The info on this machine is here:

http://www.millerwelds.com/om/o279_mil.pdf

Its rated to cut 3/4" mild steel at 50 amps at 60% duty cycle. The machine looks like brand new, The hoses aren't even scuffed. He wants $900 firm for it. I think its a decent deal but you never know.

Yay or nay?

#5 ·
Take no offense to me calling you out, but your dissing a product that I and many other people have had great success with. Quit running your mouth about your god blessed hypertherm and post up some pics of how ungodly awesome it is. You never know if you yourself did some cuts side by side with the Parker, you "may" decide it cuts just as well. Possibly you are a supreme craftsman and comparing your ability to someone far lesser than yourself is not "apples to apples" ie comparing to pics you've seen. I guess in a nutshell it appears you have a vendetta for Parker, which if thats the case your not going to buy anything anyways whether you say you are or not, and are just trying to tarnish a companies name with gossip.

Pics of STFU. :p

#6 ·
Call up your local Miller shop and ask how easy it to get parts and repair that that model. Ya, local shop will want to sell you a new one, but if parts are no longer available... it would be nice to know before you buy it.
(Given it is a Miller, parts and repairs are most likely available).

If the guy is selling off a bunch of stuff, he might be tossing in a bunch of consumables with it... so might be an even better deal. :D

Tom

(Hyper Therm 900, btw.... I've used it almost exclusively on 3/8" and smaller.... but bought it for clean cutting aluminum... hence the 900... if I stuck with steel, way overkill)

#8 ·
Ya, it comes with a whole box of consumables.

Is the Parker up to the task of heavy industrial use? I know that the Miller that i'm looking at is. I figure if i get it for $800 i'll take it either way.

#14 ·
I love it, can't comment on the MILLER as I have not used one
Can't comment on if a parker would hold up to heavy everyday use as I only use it every few months.
I have loaned it out to a few friends & they love it too, they need there own:p

I just don't understand people that never used one telling you how they "guess" they work:homer:

if I don't know,I don't guess just to post;)

anyone that is close by is welcome to come over and try mine out, :smokin::smokin: bring your own metal:p & call ahead so I can make time.

#15 ·
I've used my Parker exhaustively. I used a Hypertherm once.

The $1,800 Hypertherm was amazing, and I messed my pants when I used it. Way cleaner cut (tiny, tiny, very thin stream), way faster.

My $600 Parker serves me well, and for my use, I'd buy one again in a heartbeat. For a home fab shop, there's no way I'd spend $1,200 on a more expensive plasma when it could be better spent on a lot of other things.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.