HF Air Dryer

5K views 26 replies 8 participants last post by  jimcolt 
#1 ·
Anyone have one?
How does it work?

Thinking about getting one...

-Todd

#6 ·
Please do report back - I've been interested if they really work. Also - I've wanted to know what kind of electrical draw they have ($$$).

#7 ·
I talked to a couple industrial supply places about air dryers and it sounds like the HF unit will work as long as you don't mount it close to the compressor. It says it works up to 140* and compressed air comes out ~180* they said. The IR units are rated for 200* (the one I was looking at getting) and can be mounted closer to the compressor. Also the IR unit is rated at more CFM so I can use it for entire garage not just plasma... HF SAYS 23CFM but they fail to say to what point at max volume it will cool the air. The IR Units say at Xpsi you will get X degrees which is information I require. For all we know the 23CFM air dryer is all that it can handle with NO cooling.

Also, the IR unit with no tax and shipping is about $500 more than the $330 HF one.

So, while it's almost 2x as much I really know what I`m getting.

Hope that helps make your decision.

#8 ·
Ok, HF site is totaly different than the PDF manual for their dryer.

They state that 21.6CFM is the MAXIMUM capacity of the unit. The maximum air inlet temp is 175F and the horse power is 1/4hp. They however still do not state at what CFM it will drop the temp. too.

The IR unit says it will go down to 35 Degrees Fahrenheit Dew Point Pressure @ 15 SCFM Capacity and 50 Degrees Fahrenheit Dew Point Pressure 19 SCFM. Considering my compressor pump is tired I would imagine @ full power I can only do 15cfm :shaking: SO. Since I KNOW the IR is rated for more, and states these I plan to go with the IR unit :)

-Todd

#10 ·
I e-mailed Jim @ Hypertherm and he said he's heard nothing but good things about the Harbor Freight unit being used with plasma+plasmacam, and that some people have been using them over 3yrs w/out issue.

So just something else to chew on.

#14 ·
I`m going to check it out today :) If it works for the price it may make a nice backup or secondary unit.

I got my HF air dryer yesterday and it looks solidly made actually. I took detailed pictures and will be taking video soon too. I`ll report back in the next few days with how it works and in depth pics and video.

-Todd

#15 ·
So, two years later..How do you like the HF unit? Is it still working? :D

#17 ·
How'd it work for the few months? :laughing:

I see these things going for ~$800 on Ebay! :eek: They don't even change teh description or part number... But research is showing that those with it have liked it.

I'm going to try a mechanical dryer (like the franzinator) first and if it doesn't work, I'll go to the refrigerant. Worst case it will all help and make the refrigerant unit even more efficient.

#18 ·
I have a good mechanical water separator, but my blast cabinet is just not working as good as I think it should (I have a high end compressor as well so its not its fault). I'm really thinking its because I need to step up to one of these $ dryers. Anyways, good thread and I'll keep following it.

#19 ·
Works/Worked great :D

I had just the M60 and got tired of changing that, and when I got my CNC table a few years ago I wanted the best consumable life and cut, even without the CNC table I will still use the dryer anytime I use my plasma, paint or sand blast.

I actually have a pretty elaborate drying setup.
You can see it all:
http://www.4x4blog.com/devilbiss-dad-500-clean-air/

Instead of selling I just configured it all to work together :laughing:

When setting up my compressor in the new shop I am also adding an auto-drain setup to drain the tank when pressure drops below Xpsi to keep moisture down to a minimum too.

I plan to only use the devilbiss for painting/blasting/plasma, and optionally the HF dryer for entire shop.

Can't beat the setup for what I got it all for :smokin:

#20 ·
Just to be clear, when I said 'mechanical', I didn't mean coalescent. I meant the Franzinator.

After about 6 trips to different stores today, I think I finally have all of the pieces to make dry, clean, air. I'm liking how it's all coming together. I'll try to remember the camera tomorrow and get some pictures. If this doesn't work, which I'm sure it will, I'll add the HF refrigerated unit. But even then, IMO this is all stuff someone should have even with the ref. unit, so... No doubt in my mind this will make my air dryer than before, but will it be enough?

EDIT:
I'm putting something like the franzinator between the pump and tank, on the side of the tank. Then I'm going tank, to the long orange HF Dessicant filter to a colescent .05 to a dessicant .01 to the plasma or other air tools. Everything from the tank to the HF is 3/4". out of the HF to the coa. is 1/2" into the .05 is 3/8 and into the .01 is 1/4"

#21 ·
I have heard good reports about the Harbor Freight air dryer. It is usually available for $400 to $450 (although It was on a one day internet sale at HF two weeks ago for $269!). For plasma and air tool use...refrigerated air dryers (with auto drain on the compressor, and auto drain after the refrigerated dryer) are the best way to minimize moisture in the air. Your air tools will last longer and your plasma will cut much better and have longer consumable life. Its a good idea always to have a particulate filter of some sort...after the dryer. This type of system is maintenance free for the most part, where dessicant dryers and element type filters will require maintenance often if the humidity level is high.

I found an Ingersoll-Rand (small, 13cfm rated, 120 volt) air dryer on Craigslist recntly for $80. Keep an eye out for these deals....every body shop has an air dryer and when they upgrade or go out of business there are good deals, snatch em up!.

Jim Colt Hypertherm

#22 ·
Right now they are running $399 in the stores and around $800 on ebay. There are also 20% off coupons out on the net, making it about $340 out the door. If I saw that sucker for $269, there would be no question! :smokin:

There was a nice IR unit on Ebay for $400 in So Cal. Nearly picked it up. I don't think it sold, either.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180561730826&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT
Now I remember the biggest reason why I didn't... The seller has a pretty good "I paid, but nothing ever shipped" rating.

I've gotta try this mechanical version first. Something about less moving parts and something really weird looking brings the win.:homer:

#24 ·
#26 ·
Cuz you're one of them Facebook whores? :laughing:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.