Pirate 4x4 banner

Bender build -

2K views 24 replies 13 participants last post by  TBob 
#1 ·
well almost done - Chandler and I have been working on this for the past couple of weekends. Hooked up the electric and the hydro this weekend and found out the "new" hydro valve was bad so Northern tools is shipping out a new one. Build uses Hossfeld style dies. Running a 36" ram. Build cost with 3 dies right around 2k. Still need to build a rack for the dies on the bottom backside and a tray under the die being used. Should be finished up this week then off to powder coat.

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
It looks to be 1/2", think the arms width is what makes it deceiving.

I guess I would suggest putting a strut from the back corner of the table to the back mount on the ram. Why? Well the reason is is that your very close to having a straight linear push, however that 3 tons of force or so thats required is going to have a moment arm from where the table ends to the back of the ram. I might also suggest putting some little triangular gussets as tall as the tube between the table top and tube to counteract any torsional twist.

It'll work as is, I personally just prefer to be safer than sorry when I have something exerting 3 tons of force a few feet away from my vital organs. :D

#6 · (Edited)
Thanks - I actually copied this from a buddy of mine who did the initial design
he made a couple of them. They've held up real well - one guy tried to bend some think dom and actually bend the pins. So the design has been around and tested.

#24 ·
Why is there so much space between the die and frame? Are you planning on centering the die using spacers? Seems like applying the ram force to the center and having the dies sitting off center is what will cause some flexing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.