Pirate 4x4 banner

miller 252 worth it

2K views 19 replies 15 participants last post by  THachiya 
#1 ·
Im trying to figure out if I should buy a millermatic 252? If you had the cash wouldjya? or would you spend it something else.

I have a lincoln 110V mig and the only projects I have in the pipeline that require welding are a SO on the front my cruiser and a couple of roll cages.

arndog

#3 · (Edited)
Well that's the new model that replaced my 251, so we're talking the same class unit.

I bought mine because I know I'll need to do up to 1/2" on a regular basis. Sounds like the thickest your doing is 1/4" and not alot of it. Buy something else if you already have a 110V machine capable of that. Especially spring perches, weld em inside and out, twice the weld area! :laughing:

EDIT
But if you like to weld hot and fast its nice to be able to do it on 1/4. Whereas your 110V is likely topped out.

#4 ·
I don't think you will be unhappy if you get one, its a great machine. I doubt you would go back to the 110v one very often after you started using it. It will run a spoolgun if you ever wanted to do alum, I doubt that your 110v has the umph to do that. I really haven't regretted going up to my miller 200 and if I had to replace it for some reason that would be my first choice.

#5 ·
I'm looking at the same 252 as well.

I'm currently running a SP170 mig - smallest 220V Lincoln made back then. 30% cycle time. It burns OK up to 1/4" but I don't think it likes doing it for very long as I can tell a difference power wise over time of welding.

Cycle time is one reason and capable of doing thicker. Another reason is using a spool for welding aluminum.

I'm looking to purchase this to be the last welder I will buy - next in line is a good plasma cutter:p

#7 ·
I only needed the 210; but the short answer to your question is yes.

#8 ·
The ability to weld thicker material in one pass is worth buying the big welder even if you don't plan on welding thick stuff that often. In short, I personally would be looking for a bigger, better welder than a 110v unit.

Considering that it sounds like you don't plan on welding thicker material very frequently, you may be able to get away with something in the 210 amp class (or maybe even smaller?) and save a bit of cash. I've been very happy with both the price and performance of the Hobart Handler 210 unit I have (made by Miller FWIW) which was several hundred cheaper than what you could get a similar Miller for and way cheaper than what a Miller 252 would have cost me. It obviously isn't as much welder as a 252, but the only thing that I would really like the extra amperage for would be if I wanted to try welding aluminum with it.

#9 ·
Think ahead, if you are going to get welder X and save some money, are you going to outgrow it? If not then save the money, if you think you will outgrow it in the future then step up and buy the 252. I have the MM250 and am very pleased that I didn't buy smaller even though I hardly ever use the 250 to it's full potential, it is good piece of mind knowing that it is there when needed. My buzz box is a dust box because of the 250

#10 ·
My lincoln powermig 250 is the most used tool in the garage in terms of fabrication. I LOVE IT.

I say GO FOR IT! Get the biggest welder you can afford because one day you will have a need for bigger stuff.

The same is true for gas bottles... get the biggest you can afford! Less time going to the welding store and only a lil more to fill up.

#11 · (Edited)
I wouldn't trade my Lincoln 255 for it, but they're nice. (Ohio is a Red State!) Having the amps and the better controls of the 250 class machines is good for making me seem like I'm a better weldor than I am. I also like the idea of not outgrowing it. I also have a PT-185 TIG/Stick machine and wish I had gone bigger.

Good luck.

#17 ·
like it is said, you wont ever wish you bought a lesser welder. some one said the bigger welders made it seem like they were a better welder than they were, i know what you mean. i love burning metal with the miller in Zach's shop. its so easy to lay a sweet bead where as my 180 you have to work at it a little more.

#18 ·
If you dont need to weld the thicker stuff and want to save some money the Hobart 187 is a fantastic machine. One of my good friends has one and I really like it.

BUT if you think there is even a small chance youll outgrow it and you can afford it without getting your electricity shut off this month buy the shiny blue one. I have the 251 ( last years model) and it is a great welder. It really makes me look like I know what Im doing , in all reality I know just enough to be a danger to myself and others. lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.