Pirate 4x4 banner

century 160 welder blew up

2K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  PAToyota 
#1 ·
i laid my 1st tac weld of a project yesterday and then i heard a pop. same sound as if circuit breaker was tripped. then smoke starting coming out of the welder. I ran to the breaker on the wall and turned off the power. after I looked over it. when i turn it on it does the same "pop" noise and has no power. anyone else had this problem. or know where to look 1st.

#7 ·
this century has been around for 10 years. built 5 complete rigs. Has been a great welder for the garage. But i noticed on the last buildup that it was losing its guts. It would not penetrate nearly what it used to. So i was already going to start looking into how to fix that problem. then boom. smokey mcpot happened

#8 ·
My buddy had pretty good luck a few years back dealing with Century on sending out some parts after lightning did a number on his welder. I'd definately give them a call to assist you in troubleshooting it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.