Pirate 4x4 banner

Make'n Chips!!

1K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  Todd W 
#1 ·
I'm stoked! I finally was able to hook up my 'new' mill and make a mess with it.

:bounce2::bounce::bounce2:

I bought it mid last year, and its been sitting (and some folks say in the way) waiting to get hooked up. Finally had the opportunity to take the time to kill the power to the place, add an outlet and build an extension cord and all the other things required.

Sweet!

Better yet, its first job was work related so it was a paying gig :D

Clamping set-up isn't nearly as hokey as it looks, its just a drilling and tapping operation, I wouldn't do any heavy milling with it, but it worked for what I was doing.

3-phase, 3-horse, Step Pulley Bridgeport head, mounted on an ANCIENT Leblond horizontal unit (long since non-powered), but if I add a motor to it all have power feeds on every axis.

Little sloppy, and needs new handles, but did come with a pretty decent DRO and a bit of tooling (always good).

Heavy as hell, and thats good.

I need to go tooling shopping. I got spoiled at my last couple jobs and took it for granted most of the tooling and fixtures they had, now I need to get my own (decent drill chuck(s), end mills, drill sets, complete clamp-down kit, angle plates etc).

Now to get my lathe fired up (unbury and make new pig-tail), and rearrange the 'shop' so things are more in a 'permanent' location and set-up.

:smokin:

See less See more
#9 ·
Probably not. The Horz spindle was run of a flat belt, from an overhead source (told you it was old :D). However the gear-box that would run the power feeds is separate I if I felt adventurous I could rig a motor to it... some day.

Hey, your holes are off center of where you marked :flipoff2:
:flipoff2: ya, I don't know what I was on when I laid them out, glad I looked before I drilled and fired off the DRO and noticed something funny. The other side of the box had two similar holes with a 2" spacing, this side was 3" but I laid it out as 2".... O-well, it got fixed.

Transmission pan?
Nope, that would be one hell of a tranny pan :D
Explosive proof panel?
Bingo! Explosion proof J-boxed and panels for one of our jobs. Overkill, but its what was provided. I had four of them that need to be drilled and tapped with various 3/4 and 1" NPT holes, and one 1.5". I outsourced that hole. It was nice to be able to finally do my own holes "in-house" for once without doing it free hand.

I see a fellow green lube guy :p
What's the secret green gooo? Cutting lube obviously, but what kind/where to get?
I was using a stuff called "Anchor Lube". Looks like the same stuff Todd was using. First time I've used it and its some pretty killer stuff. Thick consistency so it sticks where you put it and its pretty slick. Noticeable differance between it and the 'Rapid Tap' I was using before that. I got it from my tool and fastener supplier, not sure were to get "retail". I'll definitely be using it more often. Nice stuff.

http://www.anchorlube.com/lube/

#4 ·
Hey, your holes are off center of where you marked :flipoff2:

Transmission pan?

I hate you.

#8 · (Edited)
What's the secret green gooo? Cutting lube obviously, but what kind/where to get?

Enco?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.