Pirate 4x4 banner

starting an electric motor?

723 views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Pt_Ranger_V8 
#1 ·
I know, I know...plug it in :flipoff2:

Seriously... I've rigged up an old motor from a dryer that (Was) working when I took it apart. I'm using it for an evacuation fan above my welding table, to try and limit the smoke inhalation factor.

My question is this... When I plug it in, it just sits and hums. If I give it a spin, however slowly, it starts turning under power. What do I need to do to make it spin (The right direction :laughing: ) when I plug it in (or flip a switch)?

#2 ·
Did it have a starter?

#4 ·
I didn't see a cap in the wiring harness. (but I didn't look all that close either!!)

what size cap would be good for a motor that size (1/3hp?)

I'm assuming I need the associated circiutry for said cap as well?

#6 · (Edited)

purple, blue, and white.

I let out some of the magic smoke when I hooked it to the blue wire though :laughing: and ran it for ~5 seconds.

I pulled a switch off of the frame (open frame, BTW) that looked like it engaged some sort of centrifugal weight (or held it engaged) that had 6 connections.

I also pulled off a small black 'box' that looked like an overheating cutout, but I'm not sure.

After some googling last night (capacitor start motor wiring) and found a diagram that looks similar to what I *may* have had...
http://www.metalwebnews.com/howto/elec-mtr/elec-mtr.html

Figure 3 looks *most* like what I have, but of course, I can't copy/paste it here

How do I determine how large the cap needs to be? :confused: Or am I all fuckered up?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.