Pirate 4x4 banner

band saw

1K views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  Toddy 
#1 ·
I have a plasma, and when you need it, it is great, that being said, it is not nearly as nice as cutting out brackets on a band saw. Anyways, I want to get one. So here is my delema. Since I really want it for brackets and stuff, I was thinking about getting this vertical one.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/Vertical-Wood-Metal-Cutting-Bandsaw/G0621

I have used a vertical BS before at tobys shop and really like it. That being said, a horizontal BS would be nice to make straight cuts. I dont have room for both. I already have an abrasive chop saw and plasma, so I can cut whatever I need too, but I pretty much loath my metal cutting chop saw. The noise and black dust, and uneven cuts piss me off. Is there a GOOD horizontal/vertical band saw with a decent throat to be able to use vertically for brackets and horizontally to chop plate and tube?

#13 · (Edited)
x2

band saws work best cutting thick material, or thin plate when it is cutting across the thinner axis(that make sense) if you try to cut less than .250" on a band saw the way it sounds like you want to, you'll be going through blades like crazy.

If I bought a bandsaw, it would have a clamp/feed, and I would pretty much only use it for cutting material from bulk. not intricate stuff. atleast on material <.250"

EDIT: I've never really played with different blades, as I only use the shop's ones

#8 ·
I think he means that cutting brackets with a plasma takes a lot of time too. You have to do some grinding when you are done it's not cut and forget. I think a vertical bandsaw cutting the same thickness for brackets is going to take just as long though.

-Todd

#10 ·
With the correct blade and speed a vertical band saw will go through 1/4 plate like it's nothing. I use one at work all the time but it's a huge DoAll, not exactly in most people's home shop budget.

#11 ·
My plasma is great, a hypertherm 600. It will cut anything I tell it to, my point is I can draw a part in cad, print it out, take a can of spray glue and glue the paper to a piece of plate. Center punch each hole perfectly, hit the drill press, and then walk over to a band saw and perfectly cut out the part by following the lines. I can do that as many times a I want and make repeatable perfect parts that way. A plasma is faster but it wont be anywhere near as clean, or repeatable... I have cut a bunch of 3/8 plate on a vertical band saw. It takes time. I guess my point is I think if I need to cut a sheet or flat bar into pieces, a straight edge and the plasma make quick work of it... But I dont know of a better way than the veritical band saw to make high quality and repeatable parts... I have never had a horizontal band saw, so I know I want a quality vertical feature, but I dont know if any of the vertical/horizontal saws work worth a crap in the vertical position

#14 ·
Vertical bands saws are nice for some stuff. Blades are not cheep if you don't have a blade welder. And you will go through blades Turning to cut circles and such and you need lots of different blades for tighter or larger radius parts. I think you will be disappointed in the long run with the type of work you are expecting to do with a saw. Like on brackets with a smaller (3" or so) radius you will need a small (1/4") blade and you put alot of pressure on it to get through 1/4" plate and snap.

All this being said I think a belt sander will do you more good. Cut the brackets with the plasma and dress them up on the sander. You can lay them out, scribe them, cut with plasma, then dress them with a belt sander to your lines. Much faster and alot cheaper then a box full of blades.

Then you still got money left to buy a horz. saw for the strait cuts and a marginal vertical feature.

Toddy

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.