Pirate 4x4 banner

Tube bending question

745 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Murfman1967 
#1 ·
When bending 2" .120 wall DOM to 90 degrees @ a 6" CLR, what kind of springback can I expect? This is most likely the thickest and heaviest tubing I will be bending, I assume the larger the diameter, and the thicker the wall, the more it will spring back, am I correct?

I am laying out my bender and trying to get 90 degree bends in one shot. Right now I can get ~ 97 degrees out of my arm. Is 7 degrees going to be enough? Or should I try to move the ram to get even more travel?

BTW, I started with the Gottrikes plans, but I am using a 2.5" 24" travel Cylinder instead of the engine hoist jack. I extended the uprights to 46", and am adjusting the lower mounting point to compensate for the length of the cylinder.

#4 ·
I get about 3-4 degrees of spring back on my 2" die so you should be fine. I'll be interested to see some pics of the bender when it's built up, or even CAD renderings. I'm building almost the exact same setup but I haven't started laying it out yet.

#5 ·
My CAD is between my ears:flipoff2: I sketched it out on a note pad and figured out the math, I made the arms 1" longer to make sure the ram will not crash into the tube or die at full extension, after laying the actual pieces out, I do not think I had to, I may shorten it up befor I'm through, That will also give me more range from my cylinder. I will take some pics when I start building it up. I finished drilling the 16 (32) 7/8" holes in the 2x2 box tube today Thanks god for my DRO on the mill. I ordered a Chamfer cutter for my mill today, as I have about 50 Chamfers to cut.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.