Pirate 4x4 banner

Eye Protection While Plasma Cutting

11K views 20 replies 15 participants last post by  SteelFuser 
#1 ·
Just curious what you guys are wearing for eye protection while plasma cutting. I have been using my welding helmet, but to be honest it's just too dark sometimes. I notice on a lot of these "Build something" type shows they are wearing nothing but safety glasses sometimes. I gotta think there's a good in-between.

#2 ·
You can use a cutting lens. If you have a fixed lens hood get you a number 5 or 6 lens. If not get you a set of torch cutting glasses. For cutting flat plat I dont see where you would need them but cutting tube and the sort some eye protection is needed. Just go to the welding supply house and they will fix you up.

Toddy

#9 ·
I use a pair of UVEX brand Bandit safety glasses with their sunglass lens in them. It is plenty of protection for most plasma cutting, as the arc on any decent plasma is shielded by the cup/tip. The only time I get a brief bright flash is while I am trying to cut something odd shapped, like tubing. I tried my helmets, both my elite and optrel satelite, and couldn't see for shit in either. The optrel goes down to din 5 in auto dark mode. I even tried the optrel in fixed shade, grind mode, din 3, and couldn't see shit then either. Mostly due to the arc being shielded, not enough radiated light from it to see surroundings.

Later,
Jason

#11 ·
My hypertherm came with sunglasses. The sunglasses look like safety glasses with a dark lens. I also tried using my welding helmet and it was far too dark. The sunglasses are perfect but...I wear prescription lenses. So I have to wear the sunglasses over my eyeglasses. It's not comfortable but it works.

#21 ·
I mean the pics aren't cool, it sucks that they have to work like that without any safety equipment. I have heard a lot about the ship yards and how fucked they are. But One time I was out in the field doing a repair job and I did use four pairs of sunglasses stacked up to do a quick little weld job. luckily I didn't get flash burn.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.