Pirate 4x4 banner

Lathe and Mill find

2K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  Realsquash 
#1 ·
I found a couple other tools for sale from the same guy i bought my Power Shear from. He has a Norton Mill that is in awsome shape with lots of tooling and a Leblond lathe with lots of tool also in pretty good shape.

The lathe has power feed but not taper so Im not real interested in it but possibly. The mill on the other hand I am very interested it...

What do you guys know about these machines and what are they worth???

JOSH

First the lathe...

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
The leblond looks like it is really old, probably early 1900's. If it is in good shape, and works, well nearly any lathe can cut a taper. It does nto have to have a taper attatchment. You can cut internal and external tapers with the compound rest, and long external tapers by turning between centers and offsetting the tailstock. I just saw a virtually identical lathe for sale for $500, but I didn't need another...

The mill is a Gorton, not norton. I have one, and so does Jnutter. Mine is a 0-16a, and earlier than that model. It appears to be in good shape, and from teh tool holders hanging off the side, I would venture a guess that it is not the dreaded tri-lobed GTM taper which I have. Defenitely find out what taper it has, if it is B&S#9, they are almost as difficult to find as the GTM, but not quite. Some folks still make them. It is not a universal head version, and that is sometimes a downfall, but it also makes them more rigid. Mine is fixed head as well. They are way overbuilt, and will turn circles around a manual B'port series 1.

Later,
Jason

#5 ·
Thanks for the Info Jason... I think from what you said he is over priced on the Lathe and since I have little knowledge and experience with these machines its more than what i want to get into...

Todd he said he would sell the welder but its range only went down to 10 amps and I would like to get a machine that has a 5amp range. Besides you can get the 200 for nearly the price he was asking for the 180...

JOSH

#8 ·
Right now i am just tapped out and I don't think they are going anywhere so If I decide i want them I can wait until the finances are a little better.

On the lathe one thing I really like and is important to me is the spindle bore was almost 2 inch so a 1.5 inch bar would pass through with ease...

I usually don't buy tools to sell or trade so when I buy one I tend to save up to buy exactly what I want so to get a good machine to do what I want it to and wont have to move them much.

He did say on the lathe that it had the option to mount a tapper attachment on it but did not have the tapper attachment. I'm betting the attachment would be nearly as much as the lathe though???

Any thoughts on that???

JOSH

#7 ·
I looked at a Leblond very similar to that in PHX. As is common w Craigslist they weren't entirely forthcoming about the condition of the lathe. It was worked! They were asking $800 and had already said they'd take less. I walked away.

#9 ·
I can understand the buying exactly what you want vs buying what's available now - done that once or twice myself.

The biggest downfall of either of them is going to be age... like you said, you can get a taper attachment, but at what price.

Well, if you can wait, I'd tell the guy you're interested, but need to save some cash first. then ship either of them up here to alaska for me to enjoy :flipoff2:

#11 ·
Honestly I have never heard of a Gorton before this weekend but I am far from being a machinist and just from what I have seen and heard in the last couple days a Gorton IS a much better machine that a bridgeport and if the one you listed is a going rate or even close then I will try to buy the one I found if it dont go anywhere between now and when ever I can afford it cause it sure was not that high...

JOSH

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.