Pirate 4x4 banner

Seems everyone's getting a lathe (56k beware)

2K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  fj40guy 
#1 ·
This has been sitting on my trailer since Jan. Now that the mud has finally died off we were able to get it unloaded. It's a 15x80 Leblond. I'm guessing early '70s vintage?

I don't own anything that can unload this safely (approx 3k lb) so I called the local rental place and asked for a "forklift." They told me they have a 5000lb forklift, and I say great. With a standard warehouse forklift this woulda been a ridiculously easy affair. I didn't ask for a 4wd forklift, all terrain forklift, construction forklift, or Skytrak. My fault for not confirming. They show up with what I would call a mini-Skytrak. Hmm, well w the mezzanine running down the center of my shop this is gonna be interesting.

W 4wd and rear steer I shoulda just taken it 'wheeling around the property.....

Rather than picking the lathe off the trailer from inside the shop as originally planned, we opted to pick it outside. Here we just picked it and then pulled the trailer away.

Now to pull into the bay where I want it and somehow get the whole thing turned 90 degrees

VERY carefully backed under the mezzanine

At least it's in place. I still gotta level it and figure out what I wanna do for phase conversion

See less See more
#9 · (Edited)
It's hard to say exactly what I paid for the lathe 'cause the guy also threw in a Brown and Sharpe 24x36 surface plate on a nice stand, Mitutoyo 18" vernier height gage, two steel tables, a huge 3ph Powermatic drill press, Miller spot welder, Wilton 4.5" machinist bench vise, cart full of tooling, chucks, steady rest, old Rockwell belt sander, and even a chain saw sharpener LOL. It also came w a 5C collet closer. My trailer was loaded down and our little half-ton Chevy wasn't too pleased.

I was not specifically looking for the longer bed, and it seems kinda rare for Leblond to put out a 15" swing in this length. Most are 15x30 or 15x40 which woulda been fine w me. The seller was getting desperate 'cause he said the several people who had looked at it would say "that won't fit in my garage" once they saw it. He had pictures posted, I dunno what people expected.

Unfortunately the spindle bore is only 1.5", which is smaller than I wanted, but it'll work for now. Ultimately I'd like to have a second larger lathe for big jobs, and keep this one for the day-to-day quick stuff.

#12 ·
My LeBlond 13x18 had the opposite effect "whoa, too short to make parts on". Yes, very short bed... first put into service in 1943.... aboard a Liberty Ship. :flipoff2:

Now you can start making driveshafts! :)

Fellow I bought my LeBlond form also had a 17x360.... yes, 30' bed length. (it was either 17 or 19, but that sucker took up a wall in a 40' shop.... funny part was a rod the lenght of the lathe so he could turn it on and off when standing down by the tailstock.

#13 ·
Hey, you need to get this lathe and place it. :flipoff2:

I think the 4.5" hole through the center should be large enough! :)

http://dallas.craigslist.org/tls/613788786.html

Spec's:
HEID Engine Lathe
Manufactured: 1969 (made in Austria)
Serial#0710001
Type: DZKS-1250/1250
Swing over bed:62"
Swing over carriage: 45"
Between centers: 46' (2nd bed section not shown in photo)
Hole through spindle: 4-1/8"
Chuck size: 39-1/4" 4 jaw
Spindle speeds: 9 - 560 rpm
Threading through carriage includes D.R.O.
Main motor: 50 h.p.
Machine weight: 55,000 lb. approx.
Note: main bed section with spindle head 32' long approx. extra bed section
24-1/2' long not currently in use stored outdoors.
Included: 14" steady rest roller type & 36" steady rest roller type
Condition: Very Good Operating Condition
INSPECT UNDER POWER contact Dennis Diciglio 360 901-7296
Price includes loading on 2 trucks f.o.b. Portland, Oregon

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.