Pirate 4x4 banner

Any Way To Convert A Hand Drill To A Drill Press

13K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  Mechanos 
#1 ·
i know it's not the best way but i got a big ass 3/4" hole hawg drill. it had a funny chuck on it and to buy one will cost me about $100-150. not bad considering the size of this beast. but there is no way in hell that i'll ever use this thing to it's potential. was wondering if there was some way to clamp this in a stand and use like a drill press. if not guess i'll get aflac and break my arms:laughing:

#7 ·
Make a stand using some tube.
Insert rod into 'arm', make clamp on bottom of rod (for drill), put spring on top of rod above mount to push drill up). Now you can add an arm to pull down the drill like a press or just press on top of it to go down.

I could go into more detail but if you look at that pic I posted above you can see how you can make your own.

But IMHO you are either better off buying a nice one OR just dropping 100 bux on a desktop drill press.

FWIW: You can also buy the bearings/shafts that are used in notchers to make a nice one but they are even more $

#9 ·
I've got an old Hole Hawg. It's a beast. When my Grandpa gave ito me, he told me that my Mom's cousin broke a couple of ribs when he was drilling holes through studs to run some plumbing and hit a knot. Spun him right off his feet.

Wouldn't suggest trying to mount that in any type of makeshift press, but have you noticed that there are female threads on each side of the drill body? You're supposed to thread a section of pipe in there and then use that as leverage to keep the thing from spinning on you. I try to rest that up against something solid, but don't have an occasion to use it very often. Just get a small drill press.

#12 · (Edited)
Seriously.... a Hole Hawg is capable of ripping your arm off and beating you to death with the bloody stump until it stops spinning..... and that's in high range. God help you if you get the bit hung up in low range.

I twisted the frame of an HF nothcer into a pretzel when the hole saw got hung up with my Hole Hawg. My brother is a plumber and got his hung up in a floor joist of a new house. It spun around, damn near broke his arm, handle caught him on the chin knocking him out cold and removing him from his ladder. He woke up on the basement floor about 20 minutes later... :eek::eek:

If you try to mount that torque monster in a frame of some sort, you'd better build stout and bolt the fucker down. It's a mean bitch....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.