Pirate 4x4 banner

Odd angled walls?

1K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  southonbeach 
#1 ·
I could see a garage pad and framing being build with an odd angled wall, but what I cannot see in my head is the roofline, how it will work, how it will look, etc...

My property line is not square and I'd rather not waste any area by building it square...

Where could I find pictures or designs of something like this ?

simple sample attached.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
How were you thinking of running the roof? shed style, A style? Send me a pm with an email address and I'll try and send you some ideas. Wall lengths and heights would be helpful to me if you want me to try and model it.

If you want a quick and easy way to see what something would look like, get some playdough. Make a rectangle and shape your roof as if the strange wall didn't exist. Then take a sharp knife and cut the wall angle. Seems kind of silly but we used to do this in our architectral design classes to quickly model ideas and strange 3d shapes. Its a lot faster than trying to do models with cardboard. I'm going to something very similar to this but in autocad.

Try to get the scale, wall lengths and height as close to what you think the building will be so you get as accurate a model as posible.

good luck

#4 ·
Another thought that occured to me would be a flat roof after reading southonbeach's reply. I think flat roofs suck, loads of potential problems and leaks. However you will find that this is the predominent commercial roof style and it handles angles easily.

#6 ·
PM'd

I'm not too crazy on flat roofs either.

For height, I have to follow the local bylaw rules, will build it to the maximum allowed:

----------
The maximum height of a detached garage cannot exceed 4.6 metres, measured from the finished floor level of the building.

The maximum eave line height of a detached garage cannot exceed 3.0 metres, measured from the finished floor level of the building.
----------

I've seen some roof truss before that provide higher clearance ceiling, not sure if those would work for me?

Dimensions:
I'm not sure if you can see the grid in the attached, grid is 1 yard.

I'm looking at:
9m (wall facing house)
15.4m (right side)
10.4m (facing back lane)
10.1 m (left side)

Roof style:
Open to suggestion on whatever will work with the angle and possibly give me more interior height.

Also, I was planning on using a curb wall to gain some of the height and to get the wood frame walls off the floor.

#5 ·
flat is an idea that would work. i think i'd rather do a low slope shed metal roofing, with the low side draining off on the longest wall would be a really easy one to do. though i just looked and see that the original poster is from canada, thats gonna need to bo some heavy roof framing to deal with the snow load probably on a flat or low slope roof.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.