Pirate 4x4 banner

I beam or H beam???

7K views 16 replies 12 participants last post by  bigdreamin 
#1 · (Edited)
Is this I beam or H beam? What are the differences?

This beam measures 12 inches tall and 6.5 inches wide. the center is 1/4 thick and the ends are 7/16ths thick or about...

How much does this stuff weigh???

I got this free, 2 15 feet sticks and I also got some 1/4 inch thick angle iron that is 4 inches x 4 inches...

There is more of it where it came from and I can get as much as I want. Its far enough of a drive that it almost does not pay well to haul a lot to the scrap yard to make a buck but I think I will at least get enough that i can make some axle jigs and that kind of thing out of it...

The reason I want to know how much it weighs is because I want to weld some steel casters to roll it around when i make something out of it and want to get the right capacity casters...

JOSH

Attachments

See less See more
#11 ·
OK so if I want to build a table 4 foot wide, 8 foot long and have this (I beam) as my 2 sides then that would be 16 foot at 30 lbs per foot...

Roughly 16x30= 480 lbs in jsut that...

I will have some cross braces to conect the 2 beams and some short legs and then a 4x8 3/8s plate as the top... I have some steal casters that are rated at 700 lbs load so I should be golden with 4 or even 6 700 lbs casters...

Thanks guys, I really enjoy the time I spend in the Shop and Tools section...

JOSH

#7 ·
No kidding.

Scrap is so handy for making carts, storage containers, legs, braces, etc, I never toss anything unless its to small to use, to small and odd shape, or really really rusty and thin or has to many holes.

I find a use for so much "TRASH", and free steel is not trash :)

-Todd

#10 ·
There is a lot more of this kind of stuff where these came from and I can get most of it for free for my self. At the time I just did not have the room to haul it safely down the road without it falling off. You can see in the pictures I had my newly acquired shear and it was taking most of the room on the trailer...

I will go back for sure and get what I need. I just have to find the time and room to store it... A lot of this stuff looks like it came from a building that was taken down...

There is a lot of 1.5 inch pipe that is threaded that I want to get to plumb my shop air through but it is rusted... I am scared the rust would run through my air tools and then I would have 2 grand worth of useless air tools...

As I acquire more and more machines I will eventually build onto the back of my shop and have it only 10 foot sidewalls for a machine shop only area. I think it will probably be 40 long x 15 foot deep...

Thanks for the information...

JOSH

#13 ·
Actually from my tables it would be a W beam or wide flange. W12x30, so 30lb / ft. Nice snag. Definately the ultimate in building materials for a shop expansion. I could definately see a second floor or a crane in my future if I had a free supply of that. Hey I'd even love 2 lengths for main rails for a trailer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.