Pirate 4x4 banner

Needle Scaler

1K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  fulltrack 
#1 ·
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_12817_12817

This thing is 1/3 of the price of the next cheapest (not HF) - anyone have any experience with this one? I thought it would be a nice addition to my tools collection but don't want to buy it if it is just going to fail. The reviews on the site looked pretty good. I am a weekend worrier so it wouldn't be used all that much - a couple times a month for peening (sp?) and rust removal. Thanks in advance for the input.

#2 ·
I haven't used that particular one but it appears similar to others I have used. On mine the scaler can be removed and if you can find a spring retainer and points it can be used as an air chisel. Actually I have replaced the air hammer itself when we killed it and moved the needle scaler atachment to another air hammer. I find it usefull for removing slag from stick welds and abrading concrete, the primary purpose we got it for. I don't know how well it will work removing light to medium rust but heavy rust and flaking paint it will do a decent job of removing heavy stuff. BTW it will be VERY noisy on metal hearing protection will be a must. It will also be an air hog so I hope you have a decent sized compressor and tank.

#3 ·
We used to use those a lot back in the Navy. They kick ass at removing heavy rust and paint, but that's all I've ever used them for. As for the quality of that one in particular I have no experience, but I can tell you that much of Northern's stuff is the same chi-com crap that HF sells. I'd say it's worth a shot for that price.

#5 ·
I will buy it and let you guys know how well it works ($40 is worth the shot of it being a piece I guess). Air is not a problem, have a 60 gal at 125psi with 11.5cfm replacement at 90psi. Thanks for the input - I will report back in a couple of weeks.

#6 ·
I still vote the cheapest air hammer you can get and the HF needle scaler attachment. I don't use mine often, but when I need it I'm glad I have it. Used it the other day to clean out some right angle "box" crevices where very few other things would work or fit.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.