Pirate 4x4 banner

New S&D Machines

1K views 18 replies 5 participants last post by  PTSchram 
#1 ·
Just got my 5x6 Jet bandsaw from this place, as well as the Wilton multi-purpose vise. Some stuff is significantly cheaper, but some things like my bandsaw aren't a whole lot cheaper. Think it was only $25-75 cheaper than I found it elsewhere. But I also needed a nice new vise that'll hold tube (better), $30 and the same shipping seemed damn good to me. This bandsaw only has to last me a few years, if that.

I'll report and post pics of the machinery condition when I get home if desired.
Redmond Machinery Outlet Store

They have a regular store as well.

#4 ·
Well now I believe the guy when he told me that if there was anything wrong, it was scratches. Because I must be missing something because there is NOTHING wrong with either of these units! :smokin:

Thought about getting the HF bandsaw, but I've used the heck out of this style Jet for smaller stuff at the shop I learned to fab in and it stood up to the abuse. Plus they are comfy to sit on when your using it in the vertical style. :D

#9 ·
90% of the time I have enough 11" Vise Grips, and so-far the HF ones for under $5 (large) seem to be working good.

As far as the drill press, yep seems good, I've seen it elsewhere for ~900 but at 490 that seems great. I wonder what shipping would be though.

Keep posting up deals from that site.

#13 ·
Have you tried the bandsaw out yet? I'd definitely read it if you posted up a short review with any hints/tips/tricks particular to that machine. Been thinking about getting a small bandsaw for a while.

If you want another inexpensive tube/ round bar holder get an old REED bench top mount pipe holding vise and bolt it to a piece of wide flange beam sliced in half down the web (so it's T shaped). The old pipe vises usually go for about $10 on fleabay and are *strong*. You can clamp the pipe vise in any large sized regular vise after it's bolted to a T-mount.

#14 ·
Have you tried the bandsaw out yet? I'd definitely read it if you posted up a short review with any hints/tips/tricks particular to that machine. Been thinking about getting a small bandsaw for a while.
Well we had a Wellsaw model 8 and one like this in the shop I worked in for 2 years.

The guys in the shop said they usually lasted 2-3 years the way they used them, and I didn't see it die.

1) Take off the adjustable pegs in the back, and build new solid legs that T into a piece that is 3" wide and sticks out 4" or so on each side and sits flat on the ground. Do this so you can stand on that to keep it from pushing over if standing up and pushing stuff thru vertical. I'll post pics when I do this, might be a little while.
2) These bandsaw's are great for tracing stuff and sitting on it and cutting it out, I've never used the plate that comes with it. Your feed rate is most important, I've sat there cutting 1/2" thick lift points for 5 ton plus machinery out on this style saw.
3)I think we drilled and tapped an extra bolt hole to keep it square, it was either this one or the Wellsaw, not sure. I'm just going to watch it and see how well it does.
4)Use the detachable part of a combination square to square up the blade.
5)Spray the rollers and blade down with chain oil every once in awhile.

I did do a cut thru some 1.75" OD .120 wall DOM with the crappy blade before I put the Lenox on it. Took it a little over 30 seconds on the lowest speed.

#15 ·
Boring Friday night so had to do something productive, low budget stand out of scrap. I'll build a nice adjustable roller one later. Just can't drag it on this one. :laughing:

Here's a cut through some 1.25x2 as well, looks pretty straight.

#18 ·
I can't remember if that's where my buddy Dan took me or not a few years ago, is it right in the vicinity of the mall? Can't remember if I saw bandsaw's in there or not. I need to remember to stop in there next time I'm in the Fort.

#19 ·
That's it. He rented space in the building where my first shop was, which was right around the corner from his store. He has all manner of stuff and can order anything you want at pretty damned good prices for chinese machinery. I've gotten several bandsaws and a coupla drill presses from him, along with lots of shop stuff.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.