Pirate 4x4 banner

National Brand Box and Pan Brake

3K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  SPEEDCRAVIN 
#1 ·
Ok I posted this in a new thread instead of adding to "the box and pan brake" thread because I kinda need a fast response...

I have read THE thread multiple times trying to figure out if I was going to buy the one from Enco like you guys have and I was going to do this Monday sometime but...

I found one not far from me for 600 bucks and i am headed in that area tomorrow so to save me another trip (about 2 hours away) I am in the search of information to is how good compared to the Enco brand and similar is the National brand.

The one I found is 48 inch box and pan brake 16 gauge with stand. The guy said that it is missing 12 inches of the fingers...

I think I could probably get him down to at least 500 bucks but if I am not getting a better brand then i would rather just buy a new one from Enco...

Shat do you guys think? What should I look at as far as damage and wear when i see it?

If I get good response in this thread I will link it in (THE) other thread for cross reference...

Thanks again...

JOSH

See less See more
#3 ·
No personal expericnce with the nationals, but inspect the tips of the fingers for curling and the apron pivots and surrounding attachment points for damage due to trying to use beyond capacity. check to see how straight the apron is as well.

#4 ·
I'm headed south in a couple hours for the inspection! I hope all checks out well! I spoke to TrickTools since they carry 4 or 5 brands including National. They said Tennsmith is hands down the benchmark but some 20 years ago a guy working for Tennsmith went one town over and started National. He said If this tool has been taken care of its one of those tools that I could pass down. To me that's impessive.

I also asked him about the Jet brand and he said they are the top import but not even near the quality of the Tennsmith or National! I like that both are "Southern USA" built tools, "Tennessee" also a new National can run in the upwards of over 2K, hopefully in this case the price reflects the quality and value!

Updates later today and as always ill take picks!!!

JOSH

#6 · (Edited)
Well yesterday I picked up the brake. Its been USED!!! The guy said he got it an a going out of business sale at a race car shop in Fort Smith. I can just imaging the number of dash panels and skins this thing has bent up...

The fingers need to be replaced. It is missing 12 inches of fingers and someone has tried bending more than its 16 gauge rating and it has gouged some of the teeth. I bent some 16 gauge steel just fine and the indention's on the fingers did not make any imprints on the metal but it might on aluminum. The stand it is mounted on leaves much to be desired. I'm sure one day when I get caught up on all the projects then I might build a new one or maybe just keep my eye out for something else I can mount it too...

I did not steal this like I could have liked to but considering the price of a new one and considering the price of new fingers I am in to it for the right amount.

All in all I think I made a good buy. I know this brake has been around for a long time and its obvious it was build well so after my tuneup, maybe some paint it will yet another tool that will last me a long long time...

Pics!!!

JOSH

Attachments

#11 ·
you could try and contact the manufacturer to buy the remaining missing
fingers..

Even if you gotta make a wider bend (than the fingers you have) just space
them out a bit.... small gaps won't be a huge deal..

I have a very old Whitney 6 foot finger brake that is missing fingers also.

I contacted Whitney back east and got them to send me a print of the

Finger(s) I would like to buy.... they start are 280/each.... soooo, I just
space out the wider work..........

--Sherpa

#12 ·
Just got off the phone with national and they told me they make the fingers in runs about every 5 or 6 weeks and a set would cost me about 260 for a set... That's not to bad. I will probably buy a new set eventually but for now I think it will do what I need it to do. I have a couple chassis in the works and will need floors and dashes soon so I will have to see how it does with the aluminum...

Even buying new fingers I am still int eh ballpark of a decent deal on this tool...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.