Pirate 4x4 banner

Left hand Taps

1K views 18 replies 17 participants last post by  MAD MAC 
#1 ·
I'm planing to buy some taps to be able to tap aluminum links. The problem is that I can't find a place that sell both 7/8-14 and 1.1/4-12 left hand taps that are US made, only the cheap imported ones. I'd like to avoid to order the taps from different places.

MSC only seems to have the 1.1/4 left hand taps made by Greenfield.

Travers only have the 7/8 left taps made by Regal.

Enco only have their onwn brand cheap imported left hand taps.

I've found a company called ICS cutting tools that have have both taps but I can't find any info if they make quality taps or not?

Are there any other places that I've missed that sells quality left hand taps?

#5 ·
I have a domestic source that can provide you any and I mean any tap diameter and pitch that you need with in 24 hours. And I know you will not like the price. For example I needed a m10 x.5 tap I got it the next day for $135.00. Let me know if you need the source.
And let me add this you need not worry about Greenfield nor Regal Beloit taps being junk, they both make real good taps that we run on our production lines.

#6 · (Edited)
It seems like E-Taps.com have both taps and their taps are made in Poland which I think is better than taps made in China.

Does anyone have any experience with taps from E-Taps?

#8 ·
Widel will custom make any tap you need, at a price that beats most other's off-the shelf parts. Very good quality USA taps. OSG also makes the taps you need, but they come from Japan and are ~$250 ea because the spiral flutes. I'm assuming this will be done on a lathe?

2nd note, we rent hard to find taps to customers that over heat their tube adapters, we just require a deposit and no more than a weeks time out of our hands.

Jeff

#16 ·
I bought all my of size taps from ETaps , they are high quality and the customer service is great .
x2. after receiving 2 left hand 7/8-18 taps from them (was supposed to be one lefty, one righty), i called a month later and the dood sent me a right hand at no charge. wouldn't even let me send the 2nd 7/8-18 left hand tap back to him. he said "his mistake"

#13 ·
I've not had bad luck with most import taps bought from reputable sources.

Many of Enco's brand of taps are made in Eastern European countres, Poland and Israel. For limited use, such as making a fixed number of links or steering rods, the imports are probably pleny good enough and much less expensive.

There is something to be said for buying the level of quality one needs for the job, or number of parts to be made.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.