Pirate 4x4 banner

welding aluminum

965 views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  sn0border88 
#1 ·
I need to weld some alum. on a cj tub, radiator, and other parts for this project. plus it well be nice to have the capability when needed. so heres my ?. I have a lincoln powermig 300 and am looking at a Python-plus push-pull gun at$1700, or would i be better off just spending a little more an getting a lincoln/miller tig. from what ive read the python is about the best setup for my welder, I dont know which would be more practical for my amout of use TIA
TONY

#2 ·
damn i think for 1700 just for a gun i would spend a little more and have a tig welder also. in my opinion it looks alot better and easier to weld aluminium with a tig than a mig.

#3 ·
That's pretty crazy for a gun, way crazy in fact. You could get a good used machine with a water cooled torch for a better price than that. Just missed an auction for an older Hobart AC/DC with watercooler, no torch or pedal for around $350. Would have had to spend another $300-400 but still a decent deal.

#6 ·
I've used a spoolgun with a PM350 before. It got the job done. I've also used a push-pull MM350MP. I do like the push-pull better than the spoolgun, but the only way I'd buy a push-pull setup is for repetitive production work.

I'd either get a spoolgun and a bottle of straight argon, or get a used AC/DC tig setup. You'll get more use out of a tig setup than a spoolgun.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.