Pirate 4x4 banner

School me on shop compressors

1K views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  mason44 
#1 ·
Friend has a large stone and marble business. He goes thru compressors in a year.What's a good compressor to run a large shop and last several years?
Anyone here sell em?

Thanks
DJ

#2 ·
Like I said, Eaton makes quick ass compressors, thats what I have. Quincey's are the shit too but $$$.

#3 ·
I think this topic has been covered numerous times in the past couple months....

If you want a compressor that gets used HARD to last a long time take care of it, and start with a high-end industrial product not some at-home shop type compressor.

For under 8g's you can get a rotary screw compressor with tank and dryer built in. IR brand and around 40CFM. That should last years and years and provide abundant airflow.

#4 · (Edited)
I have a Champion 7.5 hp 80gallon unit that saw duty at a concrete testing facility for 8 years and is now sitting in my garage. It has no problem keeping up with die grinders and air drills.

BTW, if he is wearing out the pumps, he can replace it with an eaton pump and never look back.

#5 · (Edited)
I agree with Todd W. In a commercial application nothing will beat a screw machine. My guess since you say its a large stone and marble business, he is most likely running 30 lb chipping hammers and a sand blaster alot.

Some info on what he has had for compressors before and what tools he uses would help. Most of the places that I have been to that do things like head stones and stone carving run screw machines, quite frequently tow behinds so they can work off site at the customers place.

An tow behind IR 185 will give you 185 cfm at 125 psi all day non stop. Thats a small machine. I've seen some real giant 3 phase beasts in commercial shops that run alot of air tools. Usually they are running multiple machines as well.

#7 ·
If he is running polishers you need to figure 12cfm per polisher and multiply it by how many polishers he is running. I try to have double to output cfm I as I will use to keep from overworking the compressors. I normally run around 5 polishers and both compressors together will put out around 120 cfm

#16 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.