Pirate 4x4 banner

Picked up some new toys for the shop today

2K views 16 replies 12 participants last post by  DUG 
#1 ·
A local machinist who also happens to be a friend of some friends is retiring and selling all of his equipment. Well I was made an offer I couldn't refuse and ended up picking up a lot more than I planned on getting. I got a huge old Lincoln Idealarc Tig welder with water cooled torch and pump, a 20" Rockwell Vertical band saw, a 12" Ramco horizontal band saw (with coolant pump), a steel table with attached 12" disc sander and bench grinder, A nice aluminum cabinet, a metal bolt bin, air hose reel, medium size heavy duty drill press, and a few other little things.

Oh and did I mention the welder came with a PILE of different filler rods and a couple boxes of spare parts, tungsten, an argon tank with flowmeter, and an extra gas cooled torch. Both band saws also came with extra blades as well.

Now I just gotta figure out how I'm gonna fit all this into my shop. It was getting crowded in there already and now I'm gonna have to do a serious cleaning and rearrangement to get it all in and functional. I simply couldn't pass up this deal though, so even if I have to store some of the stuff for a while until I can move into a bigger shop it'll be worth it.

Dallas

Attachments

See less See more
#8 ·
I don't know if that is 42", we have a 42" Bullard VTL at work that has been retrofitted with a Fanuc CNC control and it is a hell of a lot bigger than that. But I am still a newb to the machining world. We also have a Toshiba Shibaura (sp?) VTL that is over 3 stories tall, that is inside a 2 story tall building and sunk into the floor. The table is BIG, I'd guess in the 18' territory.

Awesome deal, btw.

#4 ·
looks like a bullard. that is a small one. many were built with 50"-72" swings. also made them with 108" swings. betts made some really large ones as well as niles- 25foot diameter tables. you could turn it on and go for a ride on it!!!.(no i've never done that or got to operate one of them.) b.t.w.-you scored on the lincoln tig welder. well made and pretty reliable. we had one in our maint. shop and i used it every day sometimes 8 hours a day 5 days a week for a couple weeks straight and never had a problem with it. worked at that plant for 14 years. one job consisted of lining all of the walls in the room with 1/8" stainless steel sheets 4'x8' bolted to a cinderblock wall and then tig weld all the seams together. the bottom seam required me to lay on a creeper while welding it up. couple week job day in and day out. that welder never failed to work.

#9 · (Edited)
I really know nothing about the turret, but there was a tape measure sitting on it so I ran it across the table and got 42".

I just got done unloading everything from the trailer and into my shop. It's all just sitting in the middle of the floor for now until I find a place for everything. Here are some pics of the other stuff I got.

Oh, and to make you all really hate me, I looked on ebay last night and found that exact model vertical band saw selling for about what I paid for EVERYTHING.

Attachments

#13 ·
(drool) (drool) every dog has his day, the day you got this collection was your day. must have felt good and probably still does. :smokin:

#14 ·
cha ching! nice score Dallas. I love the hunt for cool "old man tools" that's where most of my stuff comes from too.
Speaking of big stuff Yoder just had a buddy clearing out and old place (yes we scored) I have a picture of Yoder standing with his back to the chuck of a lathe and the spindle is a foot above his head. 14' (yes that's foot) swing. Would have loved to see that old schooler in use.

#16 · (Edited)
Our tool and die shop just got a used Rockwell similar to that. It has a pneumatic feed adapted to it, well worth the time and money IMHO. Unless you have a horizontal bandsaw which you do. :D

There's always kickin' deals around here, just no dinero to buy any of it..................yet. :shaking:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.