Pirate 4x4 banner

Top picks for Portabands?

3K views 30 replies 23 participants last post by  Xjcrawler736 
#1 ·
Any thoughts, personal experiences are appreciated. (Drunken rants, editorial comments, and anecdotal stories are optional.) I kinda like the ergonomics on the DeWalt 28770, but it's still a tossup. Variable speed is a plus. Pics are hotlinked, but I don't think they'll mind the free advertising.

Milwaukee 6236

Makita 2107

Dewalt D28770

Traditional Porter Cable, but supposedly no longer available from Porter Cable

See less See more
#2 ·
I have the dewault and milwaukee. (Got both new)

I got the dewault cheap and started using it in 'bad' spots where I could careless if I did damage to it. Ended up using dewault for almost everything.

I occasionally use the Milwaukee but I HATE IT. It may just be mine but the trigger is WAY to sensitive. Unless I hold it PERFECT it does not go at the speed I have it set for (in the trigger). This may be the other problem, the wire for the adjuster in the trigger may be loose? All I know is that it jerks, and goes fast then slow etc and makes cutting a pita.

I have used the piss out of the dewault and only broke the blade once and it had to have been from age. I cut 3"x3"x.250" SS with the dewault sideways using it to shave off a piece, and have done that TONS of time more with tubing and its going strong. (Anyone who has used one knows this has a tenancy to jerk and catch, etc,)

Both are BEEFY units that I wouldn't hesitate to drop on the floor but the adjustable speed thingy on the milwaukee has given me a lot of issues. If the trigger worked I'm sure the milwaukee would be as nice as the dewault. The dewault, atleast mine has a work light which is kinda cool too.

FWIW blades are cheap on amazon for replacements.

#13 ·
i have been using the milwaukees for probably more than 10 years and love them. a friend just told me that he likes the dewalt better but i didn't get the reason why. i have never had any speed problems with a milwaukee. i think the only problem i have had is wearing out the rubber tires but this takes years. i may look into replacing the trigger on yours. i don't use the trigger stop to set the speed. i just hold the trigger where i want it and go.

#10 ·
I have an old Rockwell fixed speed portaband. The predecessor to the Portercables. It's a tank, almost impossible to kill but weighs a ton. If I had to replace it I would go with a deep cut saw. I have found the shallow depth of cut somewhat limiting at times. Variable speed would be nice but I have lived with this one for so long I could survive if it wasn't variable speed. Does anyone even make a fixed speed saw any more?

#11 ·
i use the dewalt at work a lot. use it to cut threaded rod, angle iron, powerstrut and pipe, all of which is black, galvanized or stainless. it's a comfortable saw and easy to control, but i don't have anything to compare it to.

#14 · (Edited)
I had a milwaukee and the stand, bought the Dewalt and sold the milwaukee as soon as I could. After owning both I see no advantage to the milwaukee at all. I also have the Kama that uses the same 44 inch blade as the portables. The Kama is overpriced new, but I bought mine used and it gets a whole lot of use. It is really a great tool, they show up occasionally on ebay and seem to go for 300 to 400 which is a great value. The milwaukee stand doesn't allow mitering, so it is of limited value. The Dewalt flexes less under use than did the milwaukee

#18 ·
#20 ·
I've used both Milwaukee and DeWalt Port-a-bands. From my experience the DeWalt was a little more user friendly, but the Milwaukee was a better built unit. ALL of my Milwaukee tools have outlasted their DeWalt counterparts by a fair margin.

#23 ·
Just a thought, and don't mean to throw the thread too far OT: once you've got a cordless portaband you'll find all sorts of uses. Fence posts, address signs, mailbox posts, truck frames "out back," you name it. I love my Milwaukee V28, and the little LED light which illuminates the cutting area is very nice in low light conditions.

#25 ·
Aw crap, you had to throw another choice in the mix! I had it narrowed down to two saws: the Dewalt (comfy to use) vs. the Milwaukee (cheap replacement parts, and there's lots of them out there). I was almost sold on a Milwaukee 6236 but now you have me second guessing that decision.

This is a tool I would mostly be using *outside* my shop, so the added portability might make it worth the extra bucks for a cordless one. How many cuts can you get from a battery and how long do they take to charge? Is it really worth the $150 difference in price?

Thanks to all for the input!

#24 ·
I've used the porter cable and milwaukee band saws in the past. Didn't care for the porter cable ones, and i mainly use the milwaukee ones at work. I bought a milwaukee band saw for home use and i love it. I made a new base for it so i can clamp it in the bench top vise to use it as a vertical band saw when needed. The cordless 28v milwaukee band saw would be very versatile. I've never used the dewalt band saws before so i cant comment on those. Most of the contractors i've worked for over the years most of their power tools have been milwaukee's, the dewalt and makita tools just don't seem to last as long in my experience.

Tim

#27 ·
How are they made better than the Dewalt since you seem to think you know? What advantages do they have over the dewalt or other brands?

I also have a V28 Milwaukee in addition to the dewalt and kama. If the battery is fully charged you get a surprising amount of cuts from it. I haven't compared it side to side to a corded Milwaukee, but Im pretty sure based on its looks, weight, and physical size that it uses all the same castings. It is a really handy tool anywhere it fits, and is a real stud at the boneyard. LiOn batteries don't hold a charge well on the shelf, and suck bad below 45 degrees. I know they are the current rage, but I prefer NiCads

#30 ·
I have a DeWalt and like it. The seperate variable is nice when I'm using it as a vert bandsaw, the light is nice (although mine died). The thickest material I've cut is .5". Another nice thing is there's enough of a lip on the foot to be able to clamp it in the vice without buying anything extra.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.