Pirate 4x4 banner

Sheet Metal Corner Notcher

13K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  Todd W 
#1 ·
I have been needing a sheet metal notcher for a while to use with me small hand brake but now that I Have acquired a larger 48 inch box brake and a large shear I have been in the need of one even more.

I have not had much luck with eBay finding one used and really did not like the price of the new ones either...

These are the ones I have been considering

http://www.vansantent.com/sheet_metal_machines/JET_bench_notcher.htm
and
http://grizzly.com/products/4-Ton-Notcher/G7152
and
http://www.toolsplus1.com/cornernotcher.htm
but I have found one on craigslist...

So do you guys have any experience with these and what should I look for one these as far as damage and wear

I assume the odvious checking the pivots and blade but what else?

Im going to go check it out and see what this guy has. The price is right at 100 bucks (my kinda deal)

Let me know what you guys think and I will go check it out later...

Another thing is all these look to be the same with different paint and badges so is there one better than the other or are they in-fact all made from the same place???

JOSH

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Your money would be better spent on more versatile tools.

All a corner notcher can do is cut little 90 degree notches - that's it. What if you aren't bending 90 degree flanges? It isn't adjustable for different degree notches, and it leaves a sharp non-radiused inside corner that makes a stress raiser/crack point when you bend your flanges. A corner notcher makes *more* work if you want to leave one of you two perpendicular bend flanges extra length to wrap around the bend for riveting because you have to just make another cut anyway. The tool's only real perk is that it saves 2 lever strokes and about ten seconds of work. Ten seconds really adds up if you cut 10,000 low tolerance corner notches per day. I have never seen a corner notcher wasting floor space in an aircraft sheetmetal shop.

A turret punch combined with either a Beverly shear (or a guillotine shear) can be used to make beautiful corner notches, any degree you want, and put nice rounded inside radius any size you wants on the inside corner. The whole process takes about ten seconds per corner. Your layout lines for the bends are marked so punch a hole where inside of corner is marked, go over to the beverly shear. Snip, snip, and you're done. It isn't hard and you have a much more professional end product. You also own two very useful sheetmetal tools that can perform an infinite number of other jobs instead of just one. If a turret punch is too pricey just use a hand punch (they'll make a nice 1/8" hole in 16 guage with one squeeze) and trim with a Beverly shear. Old turret punches go for about $1500, Beverly shears $4-600.

If you are making a lot of small cuts in 14 gage or thick steel, use a powered press punch and a bosch unishear. (Unishears are up to 8 gage capacity, but they aren't cheap) Big press punches are actually cheaper than sheetmetal turret punches.

Cheap little hand punch for punching inside corner->

Beverly Shear:

Turret punch (import :barf:):

#3 ·
Bumpy your knowledge of such tools is impressive. Seems like you ahve used them plenty too. I admit am still learning on the sheetmetal tools:grinpimp:

I like the ideas you have and well noted. The hand tool you posted may be a good addition to my tool collection.

As for the beverly shear, I have a line on one if I can wait the guy out. He has a ornimental iron shop that is soon going out of business and it looks like I will be able to get all his tools for a very very good price and he has 2 Beverly shears. he also have a small Iron Worker that has plenty of dies so the turret punch is not on the top of my list but I have found one close for a good price. It is smaller than the one you posted and is a good american made Gorton model. It is missing some of the dies but has had some also made for it...

Im still going to go check out the notcher because I have a devoted purpose that will make life grand on this project. Im sure I will find other uses for it in the future too. Price is right dont you think?

Do you know if there is anything else other than the pivots and blades I need to look at???

Thanks for the info Bumpy... My shop is going to need a machine room added to it soon!!!:D

JOSH

#7 ·
oK This is what I got for 100 bucks...

It does not have a name or brand tag on it anywhere but it looks just like most I have seen so Im pretty darn sure there is only one or two manufactures of these tools...

its in pretty good shape and I feel my money was well spent.

It has some wear on the rollers where the handle pivots bot no slack. The blades are sharp and pop through 16 guage with ease...

Pic 1

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.