Pirate 4x4 banner

electrical service in a garage/shop

803 views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  5540jd 
#1 · (Edited)
I have finally decided to do something about the poor wiring in my garage/workshop. I had three outlets in my barn plugged into my barn.

So I started upgrading things, I put in a 220 breaker box and have started adding outlets. I currently own a 220 welder and a 220 compressor. the garage is only 20x20 but I still want to have power where I need it. I am putting a 110 volt outlet every 4 feet on three walls (not the wall with the doors) and was thinking 220 (2 wire) outlets half way down the side walls and maybe 1 on the back in addition to the two I will have on the wall with the doors one in the middle between the doors (3 wire) and then one in the corner by the door for the compressor. Should I add more outlets or do you think this will be enough. currently my truck is fairly stock but will be going bigger in the future, hoping to turn it into a trail rig.

#2 ·
What are you asking? How many amp service you need?

You load calculation should be based on the amount of stuff you will have running at the same time. Basically a sum of the tools' power requirements (and lights) - not a sum of all the outlets or breakers.

Your new panel will have a maximum amp rating. You can supply it with less, but not more.

#3 ·
I am putting a 110 volt outlet every 4 feet on three walls
I did outlets every post (post frame building) which is every 10' feet.

But IMHO, I'd rather have triple tap retractable cord reels @ every post than put in a whole bunch of wall outlets and junction boxes. Then just wire up outlets at the specific places you *know* you will need them.

#7 ·
I usually install one 220V plug for the welder in most shops I wire. Then I build a nice heavy extension cord to be used with it. This allows the user to drag it where he needs it. This being for wire feed machines. If it is a stick welder, decide where you plan to leave it and wire a receptacle for it there. This is also what I do for the compressor, since nobody usually moves them once they sit them. Just remember that you get what you pay for on this kind of stuff. The 41 cents a piece receptacles at the home depot or lowes won't take the abuse of most people in the garage. Spend a little more and get the spec grade devices. Good luck on your project.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.