Pirate 4x4 banner

Grizzly band saws?

1K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Travis Waldher 
#1 ·
Have a lead on a Grizzly band saw (vertical) that has been used in a wood working shop. Anyone have any insight on this brand? I have not heard of them and did a quick google and not much came up. Listing says it weighs in at 400 pounds, 1.5hp motor and 3 speeds. Sounds promising to me but I have thought that in the past as well. Opinions? Thanks!

#3 ·
Grizzly is a small step up up from HF, most of their entry level stuff is identical to HF stuff, just painted green. But, they do have some high end stuff, too.

Blade FPM is probably too fast for metal work, could be slowed down a variety of ways, if you want to spend the extra effort. http://www.grizzly.com/home.aspx

If you want a metal bandsaw, get a metal cutting bandsaw.

#4 ·
The post above is pretty much right on. They do make some pretty low end stuff, but they also make some really decent higher end stuff that competes well against other manufacturers. The saw you are talking about seems to be stout, but is it a woodworking saw? They make some good drill presses.

#5 ·
i have a 17 in drill press from them and it works fine but i dont use it everyday all day. just for general hobby use. only complaint ive heard is the electric motors suck but thats an easy fix. other than that i thought the stoutness of the drill press was pretty good. but x2 on getting a metal band saw for metal.

#6 ·
Thanks for the replies guys! This is probably one of the dumbest questions, but what is considered to be an "ideal" speed for a band saw? I did some looking and there are a some companies that offer metal/wood working saws with variable speeds. Just curios as I continue to search around. Thanks again!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.