HF Tubing Roller Review - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Shop and Tools
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2008, 11:35 PM   #1 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 120418
HF Tubing Roller Review

As we all know rolling tube is almost as cool as dimple dies.

I will start off by showing you guys my unique design I drew up last year, as you can tell from the picture it used the HF pipe kinker as a starting point. I never took this design to production due to the high cost of the dies, the best quote I got was $120 per roller and using three rollers I thought the cost would be too much for most people to swallow. So I later redesigned the parts to work with the Pro Tools tubing roller dies, however they sell for $300 a set.

Yeah my design is cool, and one of these days I was going to spend some $ and bring this thing to life, until a month ago I ran across a post on the HF tubing roller. Sure the HF unit is made in China and cheap in comparison to anything I could produce and sell. Once I saw it, my heart sank as I knew there was no way I could compete with the HF unit.

OK on with the review.
Attached Images

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Innovative fabrication tools, & Drop down tailgate kits for YJ's, TJ's and JK's.

Visit us on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Swag Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2008, 11:38 PM   #2 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 120418
I dropped by my local HF today and found the employee assembling the display unit. I asked him how many you of these you have in stock, he replied just this one, I said ok when you are finished assembling the unit let me know, I will buy it off the shelf. So $150 and 20 minutes later I was headed home to put this tool to work.

As you guys have noted they mislabeled the size of the dies in on the product sticker, the sticker says .5” -1.25”, and the dies are stamped .5” .75” and 1”, however the actual sizes are 1” 1.5” and 2”.

Typical HF packaging covered in grease to prevent rusting while on the slow boat from China.

The quality of the dies leaves a lot to be desired, pit marks and casting cracks. The dies are attached to the .75” drive axle with 3 allen head bolts that land on 3 machined flats on the axle.
Attached Images

Innovative fabrication tools, & Drop down tailgate kits for YJ's, TJ's and JK's.

Visit us on
Sponsored Links
Old 12-01-2008, 11:41 PM   #3 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 120418
The stamped steel frame is built quite well especial considering this is a HF unit.

They provide you with 6 of the same sized bearing assemblies, 2 for the drive axle and 2 on each outer roller. They are a sliding fit into the ends of the outer rollers, so to change from one die to the next you tap them out and transfer them to the next die.

The captain’s wheel on my unit is a wobble mess, it must have at least 1” of run out and has a dozen or so slag balls on the inside that rattle around every time you turn the handle. I will drill a small hole in the steering wheel and insert a bit of great stuff, expandable foam to capture the slag balls and quiet down the refugees inside.
Attached Images

Visit us on

Old 12-01-2008, 11:45 PM   #4 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 120418
On with testing the unit, I don’t usually have a lot of thin walled tubing in the shop, What I did have was 5 feet of 1.25” .065 wall HREW. So I used the 1.5” die and went to work. The unit was easy to operate and you applied downward force on the center roller using a 3/4” socket to rotate the all-thread shaft. I was using a 3/8” ratchet to apply leverage and after every cycle I would turn the shaft another 1/4 rotation, after 30 cycles here is the result.

Yes the tube is crushed but keep in mind I only had 1.25” tubing in a 1.5” die so that is a no brainer.

The tubing did not roll in the Z direction, hence it laid flat on the table when I was done.

Over all impression, I think this unit will be a good addition to the shop, and I may just have to turn out dies for 1.25” and 1.75” tubing. For those of you thinking you can hog away at the 1” die to make it fit 1.25” tubing, I don’t think there is enough wall thickness on the die to achieve this, but do it and tell me if it works. In just the dies alone I believe this kit is a deal.

If I had to take a stab in the dark on what will break first I would say the cast threads that accept the 3 allen head screws that attach the center drive die to the axle will be the first to go.
Attached Images

Visit us on
Old 12-02-2008, 12:33 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 103610
Send a message via AIM to jeep937
Uhm, I don't know about that piece you made. Try another one or make a table or something so we can see how great it works. Would this be able to do roll cage stock, say .120 wall? Nice review.
jeep937 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2008, 08:45 AM   #6 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 120418
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep937 View Post
Uhm, I don't know about that piece you made. Try another one or make a table or something so we can see how great it works. Would this be able to do roll cage stock, say .120 wall? Nice review.
I know the first piece I bent up was piss poor but as I stated earlier what else would you expect from 1.25" tubing in a 1.5" die.

Tonight I will roll up some 1.5" .120 wall HREW and report back.

SWAG Off Road Machined Harbor Freight Tubing Roller Dies - YouTube

Visit us on
Old 12-02-2008, 10:16 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 37600
Send a message via AIM to PAToyota Send a message via Skype™ to PAToyota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swag Off Road View Post
As you guys have noted they mislabeled the size of the dies in on the product sticker, the sticker says .5” -1.25”, and the dies are stamped .5” .75” and 1”, however the actual sizes are 1” 1.5” and 2”.
Mislabeled - unless they are talking radius while you're talking diameter...
Old 12-02-2008, 10:45 AM   #8 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 120418
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAToyota View Post
Mislabeled - unless they are talking radius while you're talking diameter...

Not If you read the sticker it says .5” -1.25” so by your justification it will do 1" and 2.5"

Visit us on
Old 12-02-2008, 02:24 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 37600
Send a message via AIM to PAToyota Send a message via Skype™ to PAToyota
Sorry, I saw the
Quote:
.5” .75” and 1”, however the actual sizes are 1” 1.5” and 2”.
and that seemed pretty straightforward - missed that the sticker had something entirely different...

Ok, so they are totally screwed up...

Last edited by PAToyota; 12-02-2008 at 02:24 PM.
PAToyota is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2008, 05:21 PM   #10 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 63840
i have lots of 1.5" .120 wall, send it to me and i will finish your review

its on my list of (stuff to buy), unless someone wants to donate

Last edited by supervert; 12-02-2008 at 05:22 PM.
supervert is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2008, 07:14 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 2205
GREAT post, thank you for the detailed pictures. I saw the ad recently with them in it and thought it was useless for my needs since the dies were too small for the tube I typically use. Thanks for the info on the mislabeling, I havent read the other post yet.

NMOffroad.com

Last edited by Brian1; 12-02-2008 at 07:23 PM.
Brian1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2008, 09:55 PM   #12 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 120418
Tonight I threw in ~8 feet of 1.5" .120 wall HREW. Man was that a work out. It worked but you if you were to build a complete cage doing this manually you my friend could beat Popeye in an arm wrestling contest.

I had the great idea to take a .75" shaft collar and weld a 1/2" drive socket to the collar then attach the socket to my old school Milwaukie wrist breaker of a drill to replace the captain’s wheel. After 10 or so cycles I feared it would burn up the drill, so that idea was not so great after all.

Back to manual cranking. The tube you see in the pictures had ~ 50 cycles, back and forth.

Deformation as you can tell from the calipers is right at .025". And the tube did not twist in the Z direction when laid flat on the table.

Here is a quick video of me driving the helm of this ship.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FO1FOxscqqM

You would be nuttier than squirrel shit to think of bending this same size tube in DOM.
Attached Images

Visit us on
Old 12-02-2008, 10:27 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 42472
Send a message via AIM to WhatsStuckK5
that roll looks pretty good, esp for a 150$ HF piece...why not add a longer "handle" to the wheel out of some scrap tubing? more leverage that way so it wouldn't be as much of a work out.
WhatsStuckK5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2008, 10:46 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 24640
cool of you to do that write-up.

It doesn't sound like you were that impressed by it. It doesn't look like their is really much fundamentally different between that one and the protools roller...surely no $800 worth.

I would think that the wheel like the HF one has would be better than the crank handle like the PT one. It looks like the the non driven rollers on the PT one are further apart...maybe that makes a difference...I wouldn't think that would make it easier or harder to use as much as the preload you put on the driven roller would though.

Iv'e been eyeing the PT for a while...I may have to think about it some more.
jmhinescj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2008, 11:00 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 30026
Send a message via AIM to beartj
Thanks for the review. I almost picked one up when I was home for turkey day.

How plausible would it be to add a sprocket (and probably a pillow block) and tie it to a gear box/motor w/ a simple forward/rev switch?

er

beartj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2008, 11:17 PM   #16 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 120418
Don't get me wrong, I know I am pushing the envelope of what this machine is rated for. However 90% of the guys on this board will all want to know the same question, can it bent .120 wall tubing, yes it can, all be it slow.

I too think the wheel is much better than a crank handle, and by spreading the rollers out it would waste more tubing than the HF unit.

Worth the $150, you bet. Would I step up to the PT unit, not with out a side by side comparison first? That is a huge price jump.

In the video, I'm cranking away thinking to myself if I were to use this when I build cages for people there is no way I could justify charging one hour per tube that is say 40" in dia.

I definitely need to find a motor and gear box to drive the center wheel

Visit us on
Old 12-03-2008, 05:22 AM   #17 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 17605
SWAG, why did you think your drill would burn up? was it getting that hot? How hard was it cranking on the wheel? Was it the amount of force required, or just the repitition that made it tiring?

I have a gear motor that I use on my bead roller, I was thinking I couldreplace the coupler to make it removeable, and use it on the tube roller as well, seeing as how I already have it wired up to a directional switch and a foot switch. The Gear motor is rated for 250 In Lbs. Any chance you could put a torque wrench on your adapter, and see how much torque it takes?

I was thinking too, if you were to get a cheap digital micrometer and permanently mount it to the top of the roller and the pillow block for the adjustable roller, it should help in reproducing curves that match, as you could get the adjustable wheel with in .001 inches every time.
Murfman1967 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2008, 09:07 AM   #18 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 120418
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murfman1967 View Post
SWAG, why did you think your drill would burn up? was it getting that hot? How hard was it cranking on the wheel? Was it the amount of force required, or just the repitition that made it tiring?

It was getting hot, and it took all she had to turn that drive axle.

I have a gear motor that I use on my bead roller, I was thinking I could replace the coupler to make it removeable, and use it on the tube roller as well, seeing as how I already have it wired up to a directional switch and a foot switch. The Gear motor is rated for 250 In Lbs. Any chance you could put a torque wrench on your adapter, and see how much torque it takes?

I will put a torque wrench on that, however I doubt 21 ft/lbs will do it

I was thinking too, if you were to get a cheap digital micrometer and permanently mount it to the top of the roller and the pillow block for the adjustable roller, it should help in reproducing curves that match, as you could get the adjustable wheel with in .001 inches every time.
With as little movment as I was getting per cycle, I think it would be pretty easy to replicate curves. You could put a jam nut on the all-thread shaft to limit the vertical travel of the center roller.

Visit us on
Old 12-03-2008, 02:09 PM   #19 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 17605
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swag Off Road View Post
With as little movment as I was getting per cycle, I think it would be pretty easy to replicate curves. You could put a jam nut on the all-thread shaft to limit the vertical travel of the center roller.
But the Digital caliper would look so much more high tech

If you cant dazzle them with your brilliance, baffle them with your Bullshit

It did not look like you were working too hard on the wheel, not any harder than my bead roller was when still manual that is why I was asking. If your drill was working too hard, how about an electric (or Air) impact wrench?
Murfman1967 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2008, 02:14 PM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 77424
Thanks for the write up Swag
Old 12-03-2008, 02:45 PM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 13959
Send a message via AIM to 87JeepWrangler
i assume most would want 1.75" rollers. anyone have an approximate price on a set to roll 1.75?

87JeepWrangler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2008, 02:57 PM   #22 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 120418
I'm willing to bet these dies would fit in the HF unit. Nothing like spending $240 for one set of 1.75" rollers to use on your $150 tubing roller.

21701 EW Tubing Roller $1,249.99 Special shipping charges apply.

21702 1" Square tube rolls for 28321 Tube Roller $249.99

21703 3/4" Square tube rolls for 28321 Tube Roller $249.99

21704 1/2" Square tube rolls for 28321 Tube Roller $249.99

21705 Square Die Tube Roller 3pc Kit 1/2 3/4 & 1 inch $699.99

21706 1/2" Round tube rolls for 28321 Tube Roller $239.99

21707 3/4" Round tube rolls for 28321 Tube Roller $239.99

21708 1-5/8" Round tube rolls for 28321 Tube Roller $239.99

21709 1-3/4" Round tube rolls for 28321 Tube Roller $239.99

21710 Round Die Tube Roller 4pc Kit 1/2 3/4 1-5/8 1-3/4 $919.99

http://www.eastwoodco.com/shopping/p...&keyword=28321
Attached Images

Visit us on
Old 12-03-2008, 05:41 PM   #23 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 120418
FYI: It takes 34 ft pounds to turn the cender drive axle as you see in the posted video.

Visit us on
Old 12-04-2008, 04:56 AM   #24 (permalink)

Member # 81341
That review was great, thanks for taking the time to write it up. The 15% coupon I have been waiting for showed up last night in a HF flyer, yes I am that cheap! I will be picking one of these up today over my lunch break. I have been collecting tools for the build up of my wifes YJ this winter, this will make a great addition. All I need now is a JD2 tubing bender and I will be ready to go.
Old 12-04-2008, 09:07 AM   #25 (permalink)

Member # 108445
Thanks for the review.

I've been wanting to get one of these since the flier came out which indicated they would carry it in stores. Alas, they haven't had them in any of the 3 local stores.

That changed yesterday and I ran down with my 15% off coupon and an on-line printout with it at $169 ($10 less than the flier). Guess what? The thing was on sale for $149.99 and the coupon took off $22.50.

So if you still have your receipt, they should refund you the difference otherwise, you might do a buy & return (with the older receipt).

Now mine has the same sort of pits in the large die. I'll probably call customer service and see if they won't send out replacements for any with these pits.
rocket flier is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.