EVolution 14" cold cut saws $250 on sale at sears - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Shop and Tools
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2009, 03:10 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 76684
EVolution 14" cold cut saws $250 on sale at sears

that is all...mine is on the way.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...yword=chop+saw

Add it to cart to see the price drop.

Last edited by nissancrawler; 05-09-2009 at 03:12 AM.
nissancrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 06:33 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 103814
anyone got any feedback on these?

seems to fall in between an abrasive cutoff and a true "cold" saw...

it uses a blade instead of abrasive, but it turns fast (1400+rpm) vs the normal cold saw (50-80rpm)
Flatline's Up! is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-09-2009, 07:32 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 5691
I have a DeWalt version of that saw that I got to cut aluminum stock only.But the RPM is way too fast for steel.The people I know that have cut steel with theirs tend to tear up blades.5 to 10 cuts and they start getting chipped teeth and its all down hill from there.And welded carbide blades aint cheap
Old 05-09-2009, 11:11 AM   #4 (permalink)
D60
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 6398
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatline's Up! View Post
anyone got any feedback on these?

seems to fall in between an abrasive cutoff and a true "cold" saw...

it uses a blade instead of abrasive, but it turns fast (1400+rpm) vs the normal cold saw (50-80rpm)
Have been discussed extensively here.
Old 05-09-2009, 11:16 AM   #5 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 30026
Send a message via AIM to beartj
I've got one and so far I love it. It's a dry cut saw and like d60 said, if you search with that term you'll find a lot of info on them.

I've made about 10 cuts on black pipe (.135" wall) cut up a bunch of steel angle (1/8") with it and made a cart for my welder out of .188 aluminum tube, angle and flat bar.

I built a welding table with it and the cuts (on the black pipe legs) were square enough that I could just set them on the table top and tack them. The cut finish is really nice too. I use mine in the sunroom at my rental house here at school which is also the laundry room so it's nice to have a nice pile of chips that i can sweep up instead of a dust cloud that envelopes everything.

I don't want to sing too much praise though because right now, I use it about 50x less than most of you (which should change when school ends in a few weeks).

It's a solid saw IMO, it's got a pretty decent cast base, and it's really easy to change the angle and miter cut and return back to square.

Most of us know not to put our weight on any cutoff saw but on this one, I've found if you follow it and let it cut like you do with a mill or lathe it does just fine on steel. The cut rate isn't bad at all either. I'm used to a 14" makita abrasive and with me cutting (i let the saw cut with just a little downforce), this dry cut isn't much slower (if at all) on tube/pipe. Don't know if that would hold true on a piece of harder solid though.

I haven't tried to cut any real thick solid stock though so take that for what it's worth. In 5-10 yrs when i get my own place, I'll probably get a quality abrasive cut for coping and cutting heavy stock and keep this for general fabwork of steel tube, flats, angle and alum.

I've got a lot of schoolwork to do today but if i get done early enough, i'll try to take some pics of the cut quality, chips, etc.

Last edited by beartj; 05-09-2009 at 11:19 AM.
beartj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 01:14 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 76684
I got it tonight. Fuck I love this thing. I tried 1.5"-1/8" wall pipe, 2" angle-1/4" wall, solid 2" rod.

It ate it all up and loved it.

The 2" rod could be held with no problem after cutting.
Old 05-14-2009, 02:45 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 54522
looks like a carbide toothed chop saw to me. not a bad price for one but i always thought a cold saw used cutting oil.
Old 05-14-2009, 11:04 AM   #8 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 4506
Quote:
Originally Posted by dopeassjackson View Post
looks like a carbide toothed chop saw to me. not a bad price for one but i always thought a cold saw used cutting oil.
Yep, looks to me like a dry-cut saw as well. "Cold Saws" have a slow moving, pretty heavy blade with pretty much flood cooling. Kick ass for production work, over kill for a hobbyist.

I have Milwaukee dry-cut saw. Thing seriously kicks ass. I won't use my abrasive saw if I don't have too. Faster and for the most part a bit quieter that and abrasive as well. Instead of sparks and dust everywhere you just have hot little buts of metal. They sweep up easy, but get everywhere within a 5' or so radius of the saw. Hot little buggers when flying off the blade as well. Wear gloved and eye protection.

Well worth the money if you can spring the extra $$ over an abrasive saw.
Old 05-14-2009, 07:52 PM   #9 (permalink)
Run For the Hills

Member # 44531
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustoleumWhite View Post
Yep, looks to me like a dry-cut saw as well. "Cold Saws" have a slow moving, pretty heavy blade with pretty much flood cooling. Kick ass for production work, over kill for a hobbyist.

I have Milwaukee dry-cut saw. Thing seriously kicks ass. I won't use my abrasive saw if I don't have too. Faster and for the most part a bit quieter that and abrasive as well. Instead of sparks and dust everywhere you just have hot little buts of metal. They sweep up easy, but get everywhere within a 5' or so radius of the saw. Hot little buggers when flying off the blade as well. Wear gloved and eye protection.

Well worth the money if you can spring the extra $$ over an abrasive saw.
You have the 6190-20? A buddy of mine has a tool company and I can probably get a discount from him on the 6190-20 ... or any other Milwaukee saw, for that matter.

I can't imagine the Sears saw is as heavy duty as the Milwaukee.
Old 05-14-2009, 08:58 PM   #10 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 30026
It may or may not be as quality as a milwaukee but the msrp on these was about 400 and i never saw any (did look casually after trick tools pimped them in the vendor section) for much less than that. Then, I found one for 229 at the local ACE. It's not a poorly constructed chicom POS for sure. Hopefully it holds together and I don't have to eat my words but I'm pleased with the overall construction so far.

I am not gonna lie and say that if there was a milwaukee sitting next to it at the store when I bought it and it was 50 bucks more that i would have chosen the evolution anyway. Obviously, Milwaukee knows a thing or two about tools that last.

I guess time will tell.

Last edited by beartj; 05-14-2009 at 09:01 PM.
beartj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 10:55 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 76684
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudinyeri View Post
You have the 6190-20? A buddy of mine has a tool company and I can probably get a discount from him on the 6190-20 ... or any other Milwaukee saw, for that matter.

I can't imagine the Sears saw is as heavy duty as the Milwaukee.
It's not a sears saw. From what I've seen from Milwaukee lately, not all that impressed. I haven't used their saw, though.

This is built 3x as heavy as my old B&D professional chop saw (back when B&D was decent).
Old 05-15-2009, 06:26 AM   #12 (permalink)
Run For the Hills

Member # 44531
Quote:
Originally Posted by nissancrawler View Post
It's not a sears saw.
I simply meant that it's being sold at Sears (see the link from the OP).

My buddy that owns the tool store is a pretty big Milwaukee dealer. I'm going to see if he can get them to give me a saw in exchange for a writeup about its quality and performance and post the writeup on here.
Old 05-15-2009, 09:08 AM   #13 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 9835
Quote:

My buddy that owns the tool store is a pretty big Milwaukee dealer. I'm going to see if he can get them to give me a saw in exchange for a writeup about its quality and performance and post the writeup on here.
Nothing personal, but I wouldn't too inclined to give much credibility to a guy reviewing a saw in exchange for getting a free one.

We have used a few of those saws at work, aside from the noise they work rather well. Our biggest problem is guys going in too agressive when they start the cut and chipping the blades all to hell. Ive seen this happen to a brand new blade a number of times. We use Porter Cables, Milwaukees, Makitas and I think a Jepson. The Makita was the nicest out of all of those.
ChiScouter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 01:36 PM   #14 (permalink)
Run For the Hills

Member # 44531
I don't take it personally, but do you really think most of the reviewers of products actually pay for them? I'm sure a few do - those without professional writing/reviewing credentials and Consumer Reports, but that's how product manufacturers get reviews ... they give someone one of their products to use. As long as you don't limit your reviews to a single product line, you can remain relatively un-biased as a reviewer.

/Hi-jack
Old 05-15-2009, 09:00 PM   #15 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 9835
Quote:
I don't take it personally, but do you really think most of the reviewers of products actually pay for them? I'm sure a few do - those without professional writing/reviewing credentials and Consumer Reports, but that's how product manufacturers get reviews ... they give someone one of their products to use. As long as you don't limit your reviews to a single product line, you can remain relatively un-biased as a reviewer.

/Hi-jack
So if I understand this correctly you want to ask your buddy to give you a saw so you can tell us all about it. If it is a POS are you going to bullshit us to cover you and your buddy, or tell us its a piece of shit and fuck your buddy over
ChiScouter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 11:04 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 76684
Quote:

Sears sold Milwaukee, what's your point? I AM the OP.
Old 05-16-2009, 03:19 PM   #17 (permalink)
Run For the Hills

Member # 44531
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiScouter View Post
So if I understand this correctly you want to ask your buddy to give you a saw so you can tell us all about it. If it is a POS are you going to bullshit us to cover you and your buddy, or tell us its a piece of shit and fuck your buddy over
FYI - the request was made of Milwaukee. I didn't ask my buddy to absorb the cost of the saw. And, yes, if the saw was a POS (although I have a hard time imagining a Milwaukee tool being an absolute POS) I would have said so. Would that have been "f***ing my buddy over"? I don't think so. He most likely would have stopped carrying that saw and avoided a number of expensive returns and warranty claims. Seems like a good thing to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nissancrawler View Post
Sears sold Milwaukee, what's your point? I AM the OP.
What do you want me to say? "I was wrong"? I was simply making a shorthand reference to the saw in your OP. I could have typed out "Evolution 14-inch Rage 2 TCT Multipurpose Chop Saw." That would have been more precise, but more of a pain. You've never used a shorthand reference before?

Last edited by Mudinyeri; 05-16-2009 at 03:26 PM.
Mudinyeri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 03:54 PM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 76684
Quote:
FYI - the request was made of Milwaukee. I didn't ask my buddy to absorb the cost of the saw. And, yes, if the saw was a POS (although I have a hard time imagining a Milwaukee tool being an absolute POS) I would have said so. Would that have been "f***ing my buddy over"? I don't think so. He most likely would have stopped carrying that saw and avoided a number of expensive returns and warranty claims. Seems like a good thing to me.

What do you want me to say? "I was wrong"? I was simply making a shorthand reference to the saw in your OP. I could have typed out "Evolution 14-inch Rage 2 TCT Multipurpose Chop Saw." That would have been more precise, but more of a pain. You've never used a shorthand reference before?
First off saying "I can't imagine the Sears saw is as heavy duty as the Milwaukee. ", makes it sound like you think it's not, because it's a sears saw.

Second, no, I don't call my Estwing hammers "lowes hammers", and I don't call my Snap-On wrenches "craigslist wrenches", and I don't call me Snap-On ratchets "ebay ratchets".

A smart person would have said "evolution saw". I realize it's 4 more letters, but I'm sure you could handle it.
Old 05-17-2009, 06:32 PM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 135952
I am looking into buying a new chop saw and am interested in this one. I have been using an old Astro and it finally gave up. I would be using this for chop saw notching tubing quite often and wonder how well it would work for that? I know that sometimes you need to make frequent re-cuts that are just a hair or so more...if that makes sense? I was looking at getting the Ridged because it will bevel 45* both ways, but the lack of sparks and dust make this appealing! Anyone that has this saw how do you think it would work for this?
joebiv318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 07:18 PM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 76684
That's one of the reasons I like it. It will shave a hair off, if you want to. Good luck with an abrasive saw.
Old 05-17-2009, 08:13 PM   #21 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 16680
I hjave one and really like it. My milw. chop was dusty and slow.

This is a faster cleaner cut for me. Loud as hell, in a much more shrill way, but nice cuts. Can cut paper thin slices off flat stock

PM me for CPR/First Aid Instruction for you club
plug ugly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 08:36 PM   #22 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 30026
Yeh, i left the ear plugs in the box after unpacking it. After making a few cuts, i immediately went back and dug them out before continuing.

I don't have a miter saw at school and this thing can cut anything (there's a nifty acronym on the box: SAW ...steel Al wood). I cut up a ridiculously built beerpong table my roommates had made before i moved in and made it into a sawhorse today ...was way better than following a line with a sawzall and belt sanding smooth.
Old 05-17-2009, 09:15 PM   #23 (permalink)

Member # 135952
Thanks guys! sounds like I will be buying this one.
joebiv318 is offline   Reply With Quote