New tube bender, U-strap problems on a Pro4 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Shop and Tools
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2009, 03:56 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 1635
New tube bender, U-strap problems on a Pro4

My Neighbor just got a new tubing bender.
I believe it's a Pro4

Setting up the bender, and calibrating bend tech.
1" die works great! Bend the tube and pull the U-strap pin out.

However, the 2" die is having a problem.
You need to use a punch to drive the U-strap pin out after a bend.
See video in post #8
U-strap & pin goes in fine. Coming out you need to punch it with a hammer.

Any suggestions? Are we doing something wrong, using the equipment wrong? Or can a there be a hardware issue?

It NOT coming out like this..

U-strap

His Bender

Last edited by Mr.N; 01-02-2010 at 09:58 PM.
Mr.N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 06:45 PM   #2 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 19763
Is it because there is pressure from the tube pushing back against it?

I am sure your bender dealer/manufacture would do a good job helping to explain what is going on and if/how to make it easier.

Design full tube chassis in less than a couple of hours with the PRO

We are the developers of the Bend-Tech products.
651-257-8715 for sales and support

[URL=http://www.bend-tech.com[/URL]

10,000+ now using Bend-Tech
fabcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-30-2009, 07:12 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 1635
Quote:
Originally Posted by fabcam View Post
Is it because there is pressure from the tube pushing back against it?

I am sure your bender dealer/manufacture would do a good job helping to explain what is going on and if/how to make it easier.

Correct, the tube is causing pressure against the u-strap.
He is trying to dial in the Bend Tech software. The 1" is done, as the die worked well. My neighbor said the software is very nice and intuitive for a non computer guy.

Bent some cheap tube to 92*, release pressure from the jack and it springs back to 89.7*. Remove pressure from the tension bolt and tube is loose, except for the u-strap.
Then remove the U-strap pin with punch, the tube spring back to 88.8*

Also during the bend with just the 2" the die hits the follower block. Using Mobil 1 for lube, and some good grease on the follower block.

Is there anything WE could be doing wrong?

My Neighbor has contacted the seller, and will be trying a new u-strap...
But we wanted to make sure we are not doing something wrong, both of us are new to this type/style of tube bender.
Old 12-31-2009, 07:29 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 54522
theres nothing wrong with your u strap or die. i can see in the pic your tube has pressure on it. hit the moveing arm with a rubber hammer to loosen the bender then hit the tube to get the u strap out.
Old 12-31-2009, 08:30 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 30965
Quote:
Originally Posted by dopeassjackson View Post
i can see in the pic your tube has pressure on it.
What pic? I didn't see a pic of his bender.
Old 01-01-2010, 05:24 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 54522
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBandit View Post
What pic? I didn't see a pic of his bender.
the pic at the top of this page. unless its a stock pic from there site?? my u strap pin has pressure on it when the tube does so it dont come out like that either.
Old 01-01-2010, 08:26 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 1635
It's a stock pic from the tech section, and another from some site.
I've yet to take any pics of the bender.
Old 01-02-2010, 06:08 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 1635
Is this normal?
Video of u-strap removal on a Pro4

YouTube - Tube Bende U-strap removal

Last edited by Mr.N; 01-02-2010 at 06:37 PM.
Old 01-02-2010, 08:56 PM   #9 (permalink)
TMI
Best fab Tools

Member # 122938
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.N View Post
Is this normal?
Video of u-strap removal on a Pro4.
I have had this happen in the past.
  1. If the U-strap bolt is not tightened tight enough
  2. If you lubed the Die and the tube is slipping causing too much pressure on the U-Strap "causing the u-strap to kinda pinch the tube"
  3. It was the material that I was using. Was it a piece of DOM?

Tel: 763.315.5019 ext. 112
Brooklyn Park, MN 55443
TMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 09:58 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 1635
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMI View Post
I have had this happen in the past.
  1. If the U-strap bolt is not tightened tight enough
  2. If you lubed the Die and the tube is slipping causing too much pressure on the U-Strap "causing the u-strap to kinda pinch the tube"
  3. It was the material that I was using. Was it a piece of DOM?
Thanks for responding Rob.

1. U-strap bolt is tighten down very snug at the start. See pic below for what happens after a 45* or more bend
2. Grease on the block, and Mobil 1 on the tube, nothing on the die.
3. Seamed tube, 2" by .120

Tension bolt is not touching the tube, even though it was tight at start

Pic of tube

Last edited by Mr.N; 01-02-2010 at 10:01 PM.
Old 01-02-2010, 10:03 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 1635
FYI, the one inch die works perfect. Pin pulls out with two fingers.
Old 01-03-2010, 06:09 AM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 14848
My pro tools 105HD does that now and again too. I just loosen the follower and pull the tube away from the die. Then I can normally pop the u-strap off with no issues. I think it is just due to the tube being really snug in the dies, if it were looser, you'd see more deformation.

Later,
Jason

Last edited by Wicked_S10; 01-03-2010 at 06:10 AM.
Wicked_S10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 08:20 AM   #13 (permalink)
TMI
Best fab Tools

Member # 122938
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked_S10 View Post
My pro tools 105HD does that now and again too. I just loosen the follower and pull the tube away from the die. Then I can normally pop the u-strap off with no issues. I think it is just due to the tube being really snug in the dies, if it were looser, you'd see more deformation.

Later,
Jason

Have you tried a different piece of tube? It might be the tube. Like I said, I have seen that in the past to create problems as long as every thing else is right. If the problem persist you might have to call Dean over at Pro Tools because they do all that warranting of there dies.

Brooklyn Park, MN 55443
Old 01-03-2010, 09:25 AM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 14848
I've bent probably around 4-500 foot of tube with it. It's 5 years old and bent my complete chassis as well as lot of other stuff, so yes, it's had a bit of tube through it. I personally don't see it as a problem, and maybe mine isn't as bad off as MR.N's neighbors, or maybe it's not even the same issue. I don't know, but I like that I need to put my hands on the tube and give it a quick tug before the U-clamp will release, It saves me from dropping parts.

That's all mine takes though, is a little tug and it pops out of the die and releases the tension on the strap...

Later,
Jason

Last edited by Wicked_S10; 01-03-2010 at 09:26 AM.
Wicked_S10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 06:33 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 1635
Quote:
Have you tried a different piece of tube? It might be the tube. Like I said, I have seen that in the past to create problems as long as every thing else is right. If the problem persist you might have to call Dean over at Pro Tools because they do all that warranting of there dies.
Rob,

Right now we are hoping to work with you, as everything was new and bought from your shop. So far things are moving well, and thanks for your help. We'll try that new u-strap soon.

Would you have another 2" die we could try in the bender?
Or can you suggest what else we can try to find a solution to this issue? (Want to make sure we are using the product correctly)

Last edited by Mr.N; 01-03-2010 at 06:39 PM.
Old 01-03-2010, 08:27 PM   #16 (permalink)
TMI
Best fab Tools

Member # 122938
Quote:
Rob,

Right now we are hoping to work with you, as everything was new and bought from your shop. So far things are moving well, and thanks for your help. We'll try that new u-strap soon.

Would you have another 2" die we could try in the bender?
Or can you suggest what else we can try to find a solution to this issue? (Want to make sure we are using the product correctly)
Now that I know who this is. I am not sure why you started this tread? Your neighbor (Paul) was just up here the Friday right before Christmas. In my shop and I built a bender right in front of him and his son just to show him that the die worked just fine. The bender & Die worked just fine at that time. So if Paul wants to contact me and needs any additional question answered he can give me a call. Like he has done in the past and Paul will tell you that I have went out of my way to make myself avalible for him. I really do not think that this post was necessary other then trying to get a response out of a vendor witch is against the PBB policies.

FYI- "New tube bender, U-strap problems on a Pro32" The Bender is not our New Pro32 Bender so I am going to put a request in to get thread removed.

Brooklyn Park, MN 55443
Old 01-04-2010, 03:14 AM   #17 (permalink)
Addicted to Gear Oil

Member # 56050
Rob, I don't think he's badmouthing the ProBender, he just wanted to make sure they weren't doing something wrong (operator error)

I don't feel the thread needs to be removed, I don't see it a detrimental to ProBender, it sounds like you have gone above and beyond to get Mr. N's neighbor (Paul?) sorted out, like any good vendor would

And he changed his post to "Pro4" rather than "Pro32" he can't edit the title.
Originally Posted by General Dwight D. Eisenhower
History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid.
guidolyons is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 06:19 AM   #18 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 3511
Pin for the u strap looks awfull short, the hole also looks egged out. If the end of that pin is tapered then the strap isn't going to stay put for long.

Looking at the video, you're going to ruin the strap taking it off like that.

That being said, with my homebuilt bender that has about the same configuration as the one you are using
- I had to let the pressure off the ram and then grab the tube that was still being fed into the bender, push and pull pretty hard to get it to pop loose and remove the u-strap.

It also looks like you are already scratching the heck out of the follower die. That piece of tube in the picture doesn't look nearly clean enough. You'll have better luck getting the shiny tube from Discount steel, rather than the grey stuff. The shiny cleans up a lot better.

Last edited by oldjeep; 01-04-2010 at 06:27 AM.
oldjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 12:32 PM   #19 (permalink)
DRM
Super Moderator

Member # 8
Personally, I think it is either a material issue, or a die/strap issue. And since Rob says they tested the die at his shop and it performed correctly, that would leave the next logical step to look to the material as an issue.

I know that personally I have had similar problems on two different benders, using the same material - so thanks to this thread I need to check my own materials for the problem, where I thought it was "operator error" (me )
>"A little nonsense now and then is cherished by the wisest men."
DRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 01:32 PM   #20 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 83837
Had similar issues with mine - pushing back the die has seemed to have fixed the issue... Although I've only made 3 or 4 bends with it so far - need to pony up and get the bend-tech software :P
Old 01-04-2010, 01:52 PM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 129677
When I got my bender all set up I had a similar problem, but not that bad. I just had to tap on the tube open fist to pop it loose. I found that after the first 2 pulls of the handle (mine was manual) I could snug the bolt up a little more. This is what I did, and have been doing. Getting the bolt a little more snug early on kept my u-strap from sticking like yours is. Get a wrench that will fit yours, and try snugging it up a little more that way. Don't be like the hulk or anything, but just a full turn or turn and a half. That is what I got in the habit of doing and it works like a charm.
Clay
jeepman1320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 11:28 PM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 1635
Quote:
Now that I know who this is. I am not sure why you started this tread? Your neighbor (Paul) was just up here the Friday right before Christmas. In my shop and I built a bender right in front of him and his son just to show him that the die worked just fine. The bender & Die worked just fine at that time. So if Paul wants to contact me and needs any additional question answered he can give me a call. Like he has done in the past and Paul will tell you that I have went out of my way to make myself avalible for him. I really do not think that this post was necessary other then trying to get a response out of a vendor witch is against the PBB policies.

FYI- "New tube bender, U-strap problems on a Pro32" The Bender is not our New Pro32 Bender so I am going to put a request in to get thread removed.
I correct that to a Pro4, but it will not allow the title to change.

Did you not read this part?
Quote:
Any suggestions? Are we doing something wrong, using the equipment wrong?
Or this?
Quote:
Is there anything WE could be doing wrong?
But we wanted to make sure we are not doing something wrong, both of us are new to this type/style of tube bender.
I wanted to make sure we were not making any mistakes.

I'll let the party whom bought this from you resolve the issue.
I was just trying to help find the problem.
Old 01-09-2010, 09:19 AM   #23 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 9363
Quote:

Nobody is calling you out because of anything you did or didn't do, this thread was started to find a solution to a problem.
Old 01-12-2010, 05:15 PM   #24 (permalink)

Member # 1635
Tried new tube today, same issue.
Pin was stuck a tad worse. Pin was even stuck at the 18* bend.

Good quality 2" D.O.M. at 0.125"
Old 01-13-2010, 06:04 AM   #25 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 3511
Quote:
Tried new tube today, same issue.
Pin was stuck a tad worse. Pin was even stuck at the 18* bend.

Good quality 2" D.O.M. at 0.125"
If you're still using the same strap as the one in your picture, then it's no suprise. The strap is trashed, holes are egged. I'd count myself lucky if it doesn't pop off the pin while bending.
oldjeep is offline   Reply With Quote