What the hell do you do with excess dirt? - Page 2 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Shop and Tools
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2010, 11:58 AM   #26 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 130003
Decent size skid loaders will load a single axle dump truck.
There are lots of folks wanting fill dirt. Like others, if you were closer, I'd come get it!
And 30 miles wouldn't stop me either.
And I wouldn't charge a thing, I'd be happy to get it !!!
Shit, I would pay a dump truck guy to bring me some! But I'm on 2 1/2 acres and want to place pads for 2 buildings,,,,
When I bought the place it had a dirt "loading ramp". It was a piece of shit and in the way.
Harold Phipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 12:01 PM   #27 (permalink)

Member # 77424
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold Phipps View Post
Decent size skid loaders will load a single axle dump truck.
There are lots of folks wanting fill dirt. Like others, if you were closer, I'd come get it!
And 30 miles wouldn't stop me either.
And I wouldn't charge a thing, I'd be happy to get it !!!
Shit, I would pay a dump truck guy to bring me some! But I'm on 2 1/2 acres and want to place pads for 2 buildings,,,,
When I bought the place it had a dirt "loading ramp". It was a piece of shit and in the way.
If you are making pads for a building, ask a local paving company about getting grindings (ground up AC) dumped at your place for free. If they are doing a job in your area, they will be happy to do it. It is the next best thing to CLII AB and you won't have to pay a thing for it.
Old 01-20-2010, 01:24 PM   #28 (permalink)

Member # 147378
Send a message via ICQ to johnmcd
Quote:
Originally Posted by adampfisters View Post
Dig a hole and bury it.....
fcuk, that was my answer!
Old 01-20-2010, 02:23 PM   #29 (permalink)
Dana 44 Polisher

Member # 13731
I've always been able to put an ad on Craigslist and get rid of all the dirt/rock/broken concrete I have created at my house.

BUT -- I've had to haul most of it myself, in my truck and on my car trailer... But it saved my big $$$'s.
uglyscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 02:46 PM   #30 (permalink)
Run For the Hills

Member # 44531
Do some landscaping with it. I had some fill dirt left over from a project and hauled it into my back yard to build up some berms. I then planted trees and shrubs on the berms. You could add some rock if you wanted to make it even fancier. Several of my neighbors have large berms in their front yard covered with trees and rocks. It makes for some nice privacy.

Not mine but you get the idea ...

Old 01-20-2010, 02:50 PM   #31 (permalink)

Member # 85771
cover it with grass seed...wait
Old 01-20-2010, 08:44 PM   #32 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 37600
Send a message via AIM to PAToyota Send a message via Skype™ to PAToyota
craigslist - "free dirt"

Or check with local landscapers. Depending on projects, they are often looking for cheap fill.
GET INVOLVED - Join the Blue Ribbon Coalition

'93 Chevrolet 6.5TD K2500 NV4500 Std. Cab Longbed 176K
'85 Toyota 22R RN60 4x4 Std. Cab Shortbed 178K (Currently retired for rebuild)
PAToyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 09:32 PM   #33 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 4506
10 yards is nothing. Spreading it only 1" thick that will only cover a 50' x 65' area.

Just doing some simple landscaping in my back yard I burn through 10 yards pretty quick.

Start filling holes in the yard, make some landscaping mounts like shown above or just spread it out if you want to redo parts of your lawn anyway.

If you don't like that, Craigslist "free" section with "free fill dirt". Put in there will help load, or if someone is willing to take the whole pile you'll split a tractor rental with them.

10-yards would be 5-10 pick-up loads, or 2-3 10K dump trailer loads (or less depending on how much you want to overload stuff).

Rent a TRACTOR not a skid steer. For what your doing tractors are faster and tear shit up a ton less. Skid steers are good for tight areas were you need to turn on a dime, anything else I prefere a wheeled tractors with steering.
Old 01-20-2010, 09:48 PM   #34 (permalink)

Member # 103610
Send a message via AIM to jeep937
Yea, 10 yards ain't shit. I live on an acre and have about a 15 yard pile. I use it for stuff all the time. Save it if you've got the room. Got any landscaper buddys? Call them. They can use it and charge for it.
jeep937 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 10:06 PM   #35 (permalink)

Member # 53596
Send a message via MSN to PhantomEB
Quote:
Originally Posted by WYJAX View Post
Run an add in Craigslist advertising "clean fill dirt, FREE" and see what you get. You may have to do some shovel work to help them load (a pickup) but you'll be able to get rid of it. The other thing you may be able to do is raise the grade elevation of your shop with that dirt. My shop in my backyard sits up quite a bit higher (8-10" higher at the bottom of my slab than anywhere else in the yard) and I love it. I have a nice natural slope all the way around it (except for the approach) which helps with keeping water away in the wet season as well.

yup this would be my choice, make sure you have a knee wall all around then elevate the elevation, to ensure a nice little slope all around except for at the doors.

Better yet if you can slope the water somewhere you can deal with it and doesnt affect your home or shop.
Old 01-20-2010, 10:09 PM   #36 (permalink)

Member # 53596
Send a message via MSN to PhantomEB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudinyeri View Post
Do some landscaping with it. I had some fill dirt left over from a project and hauled it into my back yard to build up some berms. I then planted trees and shrubs on the berms. You could add some rock if you wanted to make it even fancier. Several of my neighbors have large berms in their front yard covered with trees and rocks. It makes for some nice privacy.

Not mine but you get the idea ...

This would be a secondary idea to complement my original idea. Why get rid of good dirt when you can use it to your advantage?
Old 01-21-2010, 03:22 AM   #37 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 15076
Keep it, you will be glad you did when you get the shop completed and need a few loads to get things dressed up again after the carnage of a building going up......it would be a mf'er to give it away or worse, pay someone to haul it away only to find out 6 months from now you need a load of dirt.

I did a re-grade job on my yard a few years ago and needed about 6 tri-ax loads to do the job. Long story short, I got it all for free and ended up getting 27 loads instead of the original 6. I burned up every last bit of it and could have taken a few more when it was all said and done.
MQYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 04:28 AM   #38 (permalink)

Member # 21100
Backstop?
Old 01-21-2010, 06:12 AM   #39 (permalink)

Member # 55768
so your building a shop, with a concrete floor. If so how is the concrete truck getting in.
f-4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 07:17 AM   #40 (permalink)
Bean flicker

Member # 43637
Thanks for the tips guys, but I am using it to fill some things around the house. For instance the previous owners put in some crappy Koi pond. All it breeds are mosquitos. That will be filled, along with another large hole. Other than that I have no more need for it.

The shop will only be built up about 8 inches on the left side, none on the right, so I won't have much more use for the dirt around it. I plan on keep some to dress the left side exposed wall, but not much.

The driveway will only have to be built up a little bit, so I'm going to use gravel, not dirt like that last person did, and watch it crack to hell.

f-4x4......We may try bringing in the cement truck. But most likely, a pump truck will be used.
Back in college, we were making up acetylene balloons and putting them in a box to take off to light. Guy comes into the room, goes "Balloons!" and grabs a balloon, rubs it on his head, and sticks it to the wall... Everyone was diving for cover...
Ol'Customcj7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 01:24 PM   #41 (permalink)

Member # 103610
Send a message via AIM to jeep937
Quote:
Originally Posted by f-4x4 View Post
so your building a shop, with a concrete floor. If so how is the concrete truck getting in.
Hey dumb ass, Ever hear of a pump truck?
jeep937 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 02:18 PM   #42 (permalink)

Member # 17042
Picts of said yard?
Old 01-21-2010, 02:26 PM   #43 (permalink)
Bean flicker

Member # 43637
Yeah, this is looking at the plot.

See where the fence ends? That's where the building will start. It will face to your left, towards that little bit of the driveway. The building will be 40' wide, away from the fence. I will be extending the driveway to the shop. You can see part of the ghetto pond in the foreground of the pic.

Basically, see that little storage shed. That's my neighbors right behind my house. Imagine that exact scenario, just in a 30'x40'.

Back in college, we were making up acetylene balloons and putting them in a box to take off to light. Guy comes into the room, goes "Balloons!" and grabs a balloon, rubs it on his head, and sticks it to the wall... Everyone was diving for cover...
Old 01-21-2010, 07:22 PM   #44 (permalink)

Member # 129581
Put a sign on it- Fill Dirt For Sale $50/pickup load Help yourself and leave money in mailbox

Some fawkers will steal every last bit of it.

Last edited by Muddy Oval; 01-21-2010 at 07:22 PM.
Muddy Oval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 06:20 AM   #45 (permalink)

Member # 28196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol'Customcj7 View Post
It will be little over/under a dump truck load.

Don't want to use the dirt as leveling dirt since it will be tilled up and softer.

There are two guys who need a couple hundred tons of dirt for fill, but they are 30 miles away each. Dang.
Who is wanting $1500 to haul a dump truck load of dirt off for you? PM me if you must. Seriously, I'd like to know.
threadkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 06:42 AM   #46 (permalink)

Member # 7753
I was trying to build up the pad my shop was on, I had something like 30 loads of 14 yards each and only raised the pad 12".

I'd fill that coy pond in and see whats left, you might be surprised how much it takes.

Built a raised bed garden or flower bed and most of the rest is gone.

If you spread it on your lawn they make a top dressing thing that speads it thin and even so it won't kill the grass. With your huge yard you could easily get rid of that load and not notice.
Slowzuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 07:21 AM   #47 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 130003
Actually "Muddy Oval" has it about right !!!!!!!
Harold Phipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 08:15 AM   #48 (permalink)
Bean flicker

Member # 43637
Thanks for all the answers guys. I put an ad up on our local off-road forum, and have had a few responses about getting it. Also had a buddy want a dump-trailer load.

So hopefully I'll get rid of 75% of it. The rest I can just spread and smooth around.