Calibrating a John Bean 5800 tire balancer??? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Shop and Tools
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2010, 12:51 PM   #1 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 47464
Calibrating a John Bean 5800 tire balancer???

Anyone know what the calibration procedures are for calibrating a John Bean 5800 tire balancer?? Mine is way out of calibration. 4-5 oz per tire...
Old 01-21-2010, 11:13 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 104645
http://www.snaponequipment.com/commo...ts/5pt1_om.pdf

Its in there and there is more info when just typing "John Bean 5800 manual" into Google

Last edited by AlexNGreen; 01-21-2010 at 11:14 PM.
AlexNGreen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 01-23-2010, 09:31 AM   #3 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 47464
yeh. I foudn that one but its not calibrating and coming up with rP6 and LO on the screens.

I think I'm stuck calling snap-on
Old 09-14-2012, 08:07 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 109649
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonsYJjeep View Post
yeh. I foudn that one but its not calibrating and coming up with rP6 and LO on the screens.

I think I'm stuck calling snap-on

I know this was a while ago, but here's some info for future reference (hopefully it's helpful now too). RP6 LO or LP6 LO mean "right pickup gain low" or "left pickup gain low", and the gains are adjustable via two pots on the main board. They're two cube parts with little white slot screws on 'em.

Screw the calibration slug into the shaft. Enter F11 and let it spin - it'll read two numbers. The number in the left window corresponds to the left pot, and the right to the right. The values should be between .39 and .6, and the manual specifies .53 as "preferred". Just adjust the pots until you get as close to .53 as you can get.

I got my 4100 (essentially the same as the 5800) for free cause the guy who had it couldn't figure out how to fix it - I adjusted the pots and it was good to go.

I have a copy of the repair manual (some of it, anyways) so if you want it, send me a PM.

Hope this helps you or someone else.
isaac338 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2012, 07:44 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 230743
Fmc 4100 lp6 lo

Hi Fellas,

I have the "LP6 LO" issue as well. But I cannot locate the pots that you are talking about. I did find some really small "blocks" that have a "really tiny" screw on the top. They are located side-by-side each other on the motherboard. Are those it? Mine are gray with little-bitty screws on the top. I am going to try to see if there is an adjustment. IF this works, I owe you a coke.

-- Darius

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaac338 View Post
I know this was a while ago, but here's some info for future reference (hopefully it's helpful now too). RP6 LO or LP6 LO mean "right pickup gain low" or "left pickup gain low", and the gains are adjustable via two pots on the main board. They're two cube parts with little white slot screws on 'em.

Screw the calibration slug into the shaft. Enter F11 and let it spin - it'll read two numbers. The number in the left window corresponds to the left pot, and the right to the right. The values should be between .39 and .6, and the manual specifies .53 as "preferred". Just adjust the pots until you get as close to .53 as you can get.

I got my 4100 (essentially the same as the 5800) for free cause the guy who had it couldn't figure out how to fix it - I adjusted the pots and it was good to go.

I have a copy of the repair manual (some of it, anyways) so if you want it, send me a PM.

Hope this helps you or someone else.
darstout is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2012, 07:55 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 109649
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstout View Post
Hi Fellas,

I have the "LP6 LO" issue as well. But I cannot locate the pots that you are talking about. I did find some really small "blocks" that have a "really tiny" screw on the top. They are located side-by-side each other on the motherboard. Are those it? Mine are gray with little-bitty screws on the top. I am going to try to see if there is an adjustment. IF this works, I owe you a coke.

-- Darius
Darius,

Yep, those are the ones. Go easy on the adjustments - turn them a little bit and wait a few seconds as it takes a short amount of time for the display to update. Once you have them reading steadily at as close to .53 as possible, run the calibration routine and hopefully you'll get a "cal gd".

On mine, it was reading 0 and 0 for the gains and it would only spin for a minute; I unplugged and replugged the connector to the encoder board (underneath the second cover under the weights tray) and then it read the gains. It'll keep spinning the spindle until you cancel the gain adjustment routine.

Let me know if I can help anymore. These are good balancers, mine's a real money maker.

Cheers,

Isaac
Old 10-24-2012, 12:37 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 109649
Darius, if your machine is working now, I have a question for you - in the manual it says that to select different weight placements you hit "ALU" and then a number corresponding to the number on the chart which shows the positions.

Does this work on your machine? I'm not sure I'm doing it correctly. I'm thinking mainly for wheels where you need a clip weight on the back and adhesive weights for the front.
Old 03-11-2013, 08:46 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 269418
Would like that manual for the balancer repair. Can you send it.
tireguyz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2013, 09:23 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 269418
Thanks a million. Your emailed info was a life saver and saved me a lot of time.

Once again thank you for your help.

Last edited by tireguyz; 03-11-2013 at 09:25 PM.
tireguyz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2013, 05:47 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 300026
Thank you!!

Thanks a lot for this thread! Trying to get my FMC 5800 going. I need to adjust the pickups!
CraigTRD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2013, 06:52 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 219550
Would love a copy of this manual, just got a FMC 5800.
bigsix00 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2013, 03:24 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 109649
PM me your email, bigsix00, and I'll send the manual along.

Eventually I'll set up a website and post a link here!
Old 11-07-2013, 06:58 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 91648
You can put it up on Megaupload. As a free user, the file will get deleted after, I think a month of no downloads (post the link here and it'll probably stay active for some time), but it would save having to send multiple emails.

Alex.
GMGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2013, 05:07 AM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 219550
Sent you a note Isaac338
Old 09-23-2014, 05:20 AM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 219550
Thanks to Isaac338 for getting me the detailed information to get my balancer working properly.

When I bought this machine, it wouldn't do a damn thing for balancing a tire. The encoder disc was off by about a 1/4 turn. It then would balance tires, but always take 2 sets of weights to do it. Didn't seem right, but the tires felt fine on the car. Been that way for almost a year. I finally picked up a tire changer to add to the garage, so now I will have a need to do more and more balancing, and 2 sets of weights per tire just isn't going to cut it anymore. So I would adjust the pickup gains. Left was 53, but the right was 48. It was within spec, but not perfect. Took a little while to get them both right on, but I won. First tire I put on the machine I had already balanced the old way. I left the weights on, and of course it wanted to add more weight. Took the weights off, and it only took a fraction of the previous weight, and balanced to 0 after the first try.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.