Cheap, yet good band saw - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Shop and Tools
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2010, 11:38 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 150600
Cheap, yet good band saw

Been lookin around at bandsaws, wantin to make things a little easier then using the portaband and too its about to lay down on me anyways. So, thought id ask around and see what would be a good cheap band saw for metal working to buy. ? . Everytime i go in tractor supply i look at the Clarke bandsaw they sell, pictured below.
FabJunky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2010, 02:53 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 8879
Looks identical to my Jet that I bought from a local tool supplier for $269. Buy it you wont regret it. I use mine all the time with no problems. Best piece of advice is to buy good quality bi-metal blades. The best one i've used was a 10-14 starret die master. I think i paid like 30 bucks for it on sale at msc. I tried the cheaper blades but you just work the saw harder than it was intended. Hope this helped.
J Hulsey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 01-31-2010, 03:02 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 113181
I agree with the above. Its a good small shop saw but use good quality blades and you should not have ant dramas. The only thing I didn't like about mine was the crappy stand it came with, so I made one

aussiejoeblow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2010, 06:19 AM   #4 (permalink)
krb

Member # 7692
Yep that looks like a rebaged Jet.
Have one at the shop that is probly 10-15 yrs old.Use to use it a lot until something larger was bought.
Like the others said buy good blades and also get the correct teeth count for the mat'l being cut.Dont push it when sawing.
It's a good saw for non production sawing.
Old 01-31-2010, 06:40 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 116245
Yeah, that's the standard Chinese 4 1/2" band saw (same as Harbor Freight as well). I picked my HF saw up a year or two ago for $151 (on sale with coupon).

Enco sells bi-metal Irwin blades for $15. I bought 3, and am still on the first one.

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?P...PARTPG=INLMK32

Look for a free shipping or discount offer coupon from Enco as well.
cabletech is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2010, 07:23 AM   #6 (permalink)
one handed mechanic

Member # 119289
change out the shitty oil in the gear boxes in any of the chinese saws. it gets so thick when its cold, it literally wont let the motor turn.
Old 01-31-2010, 09:13 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 54522
Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiejoeblow View Post
i agree with the above. Its a good small shop saw but use good quality blades and you should not have ant dramas. The only thing i didn't like about mine was the crappy stand it came with, so i made one:d

nice!
Old 01-31-2010, 10:34 AM   #8 (permalink)
Union Fab Works

Member # 21939
Send a message via AIM to carwash Send a message via Yahoo to carwash
I have this one, from HF. No issues with it at all, after using it for 6 years, daily.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=97009

has hyrdaulic drop, coolant if you want, etc... just buy a nicer blade.
Old 02-01-2010, 07:51 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 81341
This is a little more than what you are looking at but well worth it. The miter head is great. you never need to move the saw or the material stands it can be set up along the wall and just left where it is.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/4-x-...vel-Head/G9742

I got one of these back in September and it is worlds better than what you are looking at. $400 for a miter head saw is the best you will do in my opinion.

Edit: Just noticed they put the price back up to $500. They had lowered the price to $400 for a long time, not sure why they put it back up. Still worth the money but not quite as good of a deal, also helped that I could have it picked up and did not have to pay shipping.

Last edited by Disturbed; 02-01-2010 at 07:53 AM.
Disturbed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2010, 07:04 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 72838
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disturbed View Post
This is a little more than what you are looking at but well worth it. The miter head is great. you never need to move the saw or the material stands it can be set up along the wall and just left where it is.

I got one of these back in September and it is worlds better than what you are looking at. $400 for a miter head saw is the best you will do in my opinion.

Edit: Just noticed they put the price back up to $500. They had lowered the price to $400 for a long time, not sure why they put it back up. Still worth the money but not quite as good of a deal, also helped that I could have it picked up and did not have to pay shipping.

I bought this saw last fall. Well worth the money. It is a great saw for the price.
Old 02-02-2010, 10:30 PM   #11 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 111402
Quote:
Originally Posted by FabJunky View Post
Been lookin around at bandsaws, wantin to make things a little easier then using the portaband and too its about to lay down on me anyways. So, thought id ask around and see what would be a good cheap band saw for metal working to buy. ? . Everytime i go in tractor supply i look at the Clarke bandsaw they sell, pictured below.
same thing as my 4x6 Buffalo, cut some 1.5" x 3" cr1018 with it today...took it like a champ! cost me $40 on craigslist
Nalin400m is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2010, 11:36 PM   #12 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 52387
Send a message via AIM to billybob_81067 Send a message via MSN to billybob_81067 Send a message via Yahoo to billybob_81067
Quote:

I also have this bandsaw and it's pretty damn good! Also picked up their 7" x 8.25" unit too and it's REALLY badass!
billybob_81067 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2010, 01:35 AM   #13 (permalink)
Addicted to Gear Oil

Member # 56050
That Grizzly miterhead bandsaw is nice.

I have the HF 4x6 bandsaw, look for it on sale ~$199+20% off you can walk out the door for ~$170

Get a good blade, change the gearbox sludge and it will cut nice. I'm very happy with mine, it's quieter, cleaner, and cut straighter than my abrasive chopsaw ever did. I thought my first project would be building an new base, but 2 years later, it's still in one piece.

Name:  93762.gif
Views: 2465
Size:  49.6 KB

Google 4x6 bandsaw modifications and you'll get several website with ideas to make them better. Build a new base, add coolant, etc.
Originally Posted by General Dwight D. Eisenhower
History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid.

For the best deal on 8 lug disc brakes click here--> www.lugnut4x4.com
guidolyons is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2010, 06:08 AM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 28735
Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiejoeblow View Post
I agree with the above. Its a good small shop saw but use good quality blades and you should not have ant dramas. The only thing I didn't like about mine was the crappy stand it came with, so I made one

Nice! I didn't like the stock stand either, so I fabbed up a better one as well.

97 F350 CC PSD 4x4
97 Taco Xtra Cab 4x4
74 Baja
INSAYN_BCR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2010, 09:32 AM   #15 (permalink)
D60
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 6398
Quote:

Northern looks to carry the same thing. Appears identical down to the sheetmetal stand. $400

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...5543_200365543

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.