Cheap pole barn insulation? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Shop and Tools
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2010, 07:04 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 13820
Cheap pole barn insulation?

Looking for cheap way to insulate my pole building. It has steel sheeting and dosent hold heat for squat.
I dont want to stud it out if I can keep from it and I need to figure out how to seal the slidding doors. Funny My front shop was built by my father and I and without insulation is tight enough to cause the hanging heater to cycle on and of and keep the shop about 60 deg without issue. New shop was built by a company and it snows inside the doors,,,, go figure..
Old 02-12-2010, 07:12 AM   #2 (permalink)
Bean flicker

Member # 43637
Search Insulation in here. There are lots of threads on this already.
Back in college, we were making up acetylene balloons and putting them in a box to take off to light. Guy comes into the room, goes "Balloons!" and grabs a balloon, rubs it on his head, and sticks it to the wall... Everyone was diving for cover...
Ol'Customcj7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-12-2010, 07:33 AM   #3 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 11249
If you don't feel like searching, I used the cheap bubble wrap on the walls when I built mine. I used 3" Metal Building Insulation on the roof. It is a 3" batt insulation with a white/aluminum foil. The foil faces towards the outside of the building to reflect heat and it does just that.

I can bring mine up to 60F real easy with two kero heaters. I installed a 50,000 btu Lennox Unit Heater but have not fired it up yet, due to propane costs.

Since your building is already built, I would go this route. They make a foamcore board that is 5/8" thick, and I am not sure of the R-value. Buy enough to install on walls and ceiling, PLUS - enough to insulate your garage doors if you haven't already. My Garage doors are insulated and it helps. Since you are installing the R-board after the building was constructed, I would use some sort of caulking along the board sections that meet the poles, this way it seals out the weather and keeps those breezes from flowing in - do this expecially around the corner posts, due to the corner trim creating a void and it can let air in. Since my building was wrapped with continuous layers of bubble wrap, it keeps out the cold air, but its dreadly hot in the summer. Good luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverZuk View Post
"I did it mainly because my 5 year old daughter thanks a Pink Cow is pretty funny!"
MudzerK5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 09:29 AM   #4 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 130003
No idea what to do about the doors, but spray foam insulation is excellent for this. Just not sure how "affordable" it is.
I did 4' batts 8" thick on mine. The way the Morton style sheds are built makes the horizontal boards mouse freeways. The spray foam takes care of that! And kills air infiltration.
Harold Phipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 11:12 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 73465
I used this in my pole barn... I can easily keep it at 65 inside when it is single digit outside.

http://www.insulation4less.com/Insul...l-48-Inch.aspx

I did the walls and the ceiling (5 rolls) and am happy with the results.

Good Luck!

[QUOTE=nahmus;10554695]This country is trying to childproof the world when they should be worldproofing their children.[/QUOTE]
71PA_Highboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 08:13 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 13820
YA should have searched,, Forgot.

Thanks for the replies,,
I have alocal dealer who has the reflective stuff.
I was leaning towards cutting the foam pannels to fit in around the stringer boards then cover with OSB...