A review of the cheapest plasma cutter on ebay.... the Colossal Tech Cut 50 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Shop and Tools
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2010, 06:23 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 11622
A review of the cheapest plasma cutter on ebay.... the Colossal Tech Cut 50

Here is a video review of the Colossal Tech Cut 50. Its cheap, mine had a few bugs, but its a cutting sombitch.....

Camera was giving me fits so its in 5 parts....

part 1
YouTube - Colossal Tech Cut 50 Plasma Cutter part 1 of 5

part 2
YouTube - Colossal Tech Cut 50 Plasma Cutter part 2 of 5

part 3
YouTube - Colossal Tech Cut 50 Plasma Cutter part 3 of 5

part 4
YouTube - Colossal Tech Cut 50 Plasma Cutter part 4 of 5

part 5
YouTube - Colossal Tech Cut 50 Plasma Cutter part 5 of 5

Ebay link
http://cgi.ebay.com/50A-New-Plasma-C...item414af4be1f

It took 15 minutes and a trip to Lowe's for a plug end and it was going strong. I purchased a 26 gallon CH air compressor and it runs it just fine. Hope this helps someone decide on a cheap plasma. I know I am not disappointed. Its not perfect but it gets the job done.
Kamikaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 06:32 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 54522
hum i was board after i skipped through the first 4min of the first video.

Last edited by dopeassjackson; 02-19-2010 at 06:32 PM.
dopeassjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-19-2010, 06:34 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 11622
Quote:
Originally Posted by dopeassjackson View Post
hum i was board after i skipped through the first 4min of the first video.

Thats fine. You must not know enough to know what to look for then.....
Old 02-19-2010, 06:59 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 54522
already own a plasma thats made by miller. china thanks you for your money.
Old 02-19-2010, 07:08 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 71492
Good little review, thanks for sharing.

I know it isn't Tuesday yet, but could someone outline why a plasma cutter is more desirable than an oxy-acetylene cut off torch? From what I can tell a plasma cutter cuts much faster and with less slag, but the axy-acy. is cheaper and can also be used for simple welding. right?

Thanks
Old 02-19-2010, 07:18 PM   #6 (permalink)
I make websites!

Member # 12429
zOMG another re-badged china unit
Old 02-19-2010, 07:26 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 11622
Quote:
Originally Posted by dopeassjackson View Post
already own a plasma thats made by miller. china thanks you for your money.
I own a welder made by miller and i like it. I also own a lot of stuff from china, like my tv, my car, and a lot of other good electronics. Why don't you find something else to do tonight besides being an internet rambo and trying to derail this thread with your tough guy bs....btw how much shit have you bought from china??? ever been to wal-mart

This machine works fine, if I had a review like this I would have ordered it no questions asked.
Old 02-19-2010, 07:28 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 11622
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd W View Post
zOMG another re-badged china unit
So it does what it says it does...... who gives a fawk where it comes from. Yeah they make a lot of crap over seas. My shop fixes a lot of crap from india and Korea. If it works it works, why pay more for the same thing?
Old 02-19-2010, 07:30 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 11622
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfthedrum13 View Post

I know it isn't Tuesday yet, but could someone outline why a plasma cutter is more desirable than an oxy-acetylene cut off torch? From what I can tell a plasma cutter cuts much faster and with less slag, but the axy-acy. is cheaper and can also be used for simple welding. right?

Thanks
Oxy-acetylene is more difficult to use on thiner materials. If you will notice in my review there is an oxy-acetylene setup in the cart under the welder and plasma. I got that first. It will do a lot of things, like heat up parts to bend, and cut much thicker steel. It has its place along with plasma.
Old 02-19-2010, 07:37 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 11622
Nice... a guy driving a Toyota wants to bag on an import plasma cutter.....

Last edited by Kamikaze; 02-19-2010 at 07:38 PM.
Old 02-19-2010, 07:53 PM   #11 (permalink)
From Stock to Rock

Member # 89723
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfthedrum13 View Post

Thanks
Have you ever bought a set of gauges,hose,torch,and bottles i dont think you would be coming out ahead,or even cut aluminum or stainless with a torch not happening.
Thanks for the review on a cheap,quality cutting unit,just what most garage guys are looking for.

Quote:
CTD NUT:Going full retard with a welder will not gain you any respect on this forum.

Check us out on facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Extrem...e/281441086664
extremeoffroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 07:55 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 11622
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeoffroad View Post
Have you ever bought a set of gauges,hose,torch,and bottles i dont think you would be coming out ahead,or even cut aluminum or stainless with a torch not happening.
Thanks for the review on a cheap,quality cutting unit,just what most garage guys are looking for.
Your welcome. Finally some one who gets it.........
Old 02-19-2010, 08:19 PM   #13 (permalink)
I make websites!

Member # 12429
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamikaze View Post
So it does what it says it does...... who gives a fawk where it comes from. Yeah they make a lot of crap over seas. My shop fixes a lot of crap from india and Korea. If it works it works, why pay more for the same thing?
The point is that the same ones rebadged have been for sale on here for years now and they all have problems sooner or later. The point is the lincoln, miller, hypertherm, thermal dynamics will last the china plasma units are NOT up to quality yet. Not to mention their cut quality is inferior too.

Hypertherm recently released two new units which much lower costs than the past and their cut quality is INSANELY good. Not to mention their customer service is among the best in any industry.

The Chinese Plasma cutters may work, but not for a long period of time, and def. are not as rugged as the name brand units.

Reviewing one is like reviewing them all it's not coincidence they all look the same they are all the same with different stickers.

The only possible benefit you have buying one from a vendor here is you have someplace to possibly go if you have an issue.
Old 02-19-2010, 08:30 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 11622
This one came with an American 1 year warranty. Thats good enough for me. Honest opinion....it cuts better than the ones I have at work that are miller, and ESAB. So your point is?
Old 02-19-2010, 09:29 PM   #15 (permalink)
D60
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 6398
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeoffroad View Post
Or, in some cases, cast. I've got a smaller O/A setup and cut the bolt pattern out of an 8.8 drum the other nite. It did it, barely. I also needed to cut the rotor off a front wb hub (oddball '87 Ford one-piece shit), simply never could get enough heat to blow thru. Using a #2 tip IIRC. Had to turn to the plasma.

Kamikaze, your commitment to your position is admirable, but no need to be so defensive. I doubt you'll be around here much, your ass gets hurt too easily.
Old 02-19-2010, 09:37 PM   #16 (permalink)
I make websites!

Member # 12429
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamikaze View Post
This one came with an American 1 year warranty. Thats good enough for me. Honest opinion....it cuts better than the ones I have at work that are miller, and ESAB. So your point is?
Do you know how many of those plasma sellers have been BANNED from selling on ebay over the last few years when they came out the point is when it dies, and you can't get it repaired or a part for it don't come here, we've seen it often

My point is just because it works now I doubt it will in 2 years.
And you acting like it's the best thing since sliced bread is probably what we find amusing.

"Look I bought the cheapest junk I could find and it works for now"... in 2 years please update this thread.

I've beat the piss out of some Chinese junk and it's lasted a long long time. Others not so much... Hell, a lot of quality computer parts are from China.. the difference here is that the Plasmas just are NOT a quality part yet. They could be, but they either haven't figured it out or there is no demand for a quality Chinese unit. Probably because probably it puts it damn near the price of the Hypertherm. I would also venture to guess the hypertherm circuit board or parts of are made in China.. Jim Colt will have to confirm or deny this. The engineering and company on the other hand doing the quality control is American, and their service and parts are PROVEN.

Take risks all you want but the plasma has been beaten. They are not quality yet.
Old 02-19-2010, 09:39 PM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 11622
Quote:
Originally Posted by D60 View Post
Or, in some cases, cast. I've got a smaller O/A setup and cut the bolt pattern out of an 8.8 drum the other nite. It did it, barely. I also needed to cut the rotor off a front wb hub (oddball '87 Ford one-piece shit), simply never could get enough heat to blow thru. Using a #2 tip IIRC. Had to turn to the plasma.

Kamikaze, your commitment to your position is admirable, but no need to be so defensive. I doubt you'll be around here much, your ass gets hurt too easily.
I've been around long enough. My ass is fine, I just know 'em when I see 'em.
Old 02-19-2010, 09:41 PM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 11622
Quote:
Do you know how many of those plasma sellers have been BANNED from selling on ebay over the last few years when they came out the point is when it dies, and you can't get it repaired or a part for it don't come here, we've seen it often

My point is just because it works now I doubt it will in 2 years.
And you acting like it's the best thing since sliced bread is probably what we find amusing.

"Look I bought the cheapest junk I could find and it works for now"... in 2 years please update this thread.
That might be why I was smart enough to drop an extra $30 for a shit ton of consumables. If it lasts me 2 years I will be tickled....
Old 02-20-2010, 04:51 AM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 15354
Send a message via AIM to iniviate
Quote:

~3 years ago i bought a parker plasma for $299 from a guy selling them here on pirate. it's the same exact unit this guy has.

mine still works great today, it's never once given me an issue. i use it all the time.

so..... fawk off, brand whore.
Old 02-20-2010, 05:13 AM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 54522
Quote:
The point is that the same ones rebadged have been for sale on here for years now and they all have problems sooner or later. The point is the lincoln, miller, hypertherm, thermal dynamics will last the china plasma units are NOT up to quality yet. Not to mention their cut quality is inferior too.

Hypertherm recently released two new units which much lower costs than the past and their cut quality is INSANELY good. Not to mention their customer service is among the best in any industry.

The Chinese Plasma cutters may work, but not for a long period of time, and def. are not as rugged as the name brand units.

Reviewing one is like reviewing them all it's not coincidence they all look the same they are all the same with different stickers.

The only possible benefit you have buying one from a vendor here is you have someplace to possibly go if you have an issue.
well said.
if you searched there are many "O look at my china plasma cutter threads".
Old 02-20-2010, 07:57 AM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 12499
LOL, I bought a plasma advertised on Craigslist. It is American made by the same company that rebadges them for Snap-On, Matco AND Mac. Sadly, it isn't the most robust unit as it's down more than it works.

I got flamed for buying and not spending 15 times as much, you expect better with a Chi-Com machine? LOL
PTSchram is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 05:40 AM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 145912
Hypertherm circuit boards are manufactured by Hypertherm in the USA. The components on the circuit board can come from pretty much anywhere in the world.....they have to meet stringent specifications in order to be used on Hypertherm products. Hypertherm designs, builds and tests every one of its products in the USA.

As far as comparisons to the Chinese imports.....in my opinion...there certainly is a market for very low cost equipment like these units. Most of them have been comparison tested in our labs in NH.....and the units have serious issues with duty cycle, with reliability, with "out of box" failures, and with consumable life and cut quality. They do not even come close to safety standards that you get with high end products. They cut metal when they work....and are very low priced. A gamble....but for someone that uses the unit sporadically...they may be an adequate solution.

Anyone that cuts with a system like the Hypertherm Powermax45, then cuts a few minutes later with an import up to 60 or 80 amps.....will definitely understand differences in performance!

Jim Colt Hypertherm

" I would also venture to guess the hypertherm circuit board or parts of are made in China.. Jim Colt will have to confirm or deny this. The engineering and company on the other hand doing the quality control is American, and their service and parts are PROVEN.

Take risks all you want but the plasma has been beaten. They are not quality yet.[/QUOTE]
jimcolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 05:53 AM   #23 (permalink)

Member # 118370
Quote:
Same deal as above. Bought a Parker 50 a couple of years ago for <$500 and it works great. Sure, I'd love a Hypertherm and I'd also love a Torchmate CNC plasma table, but for this home garage it ain't happenin'.

You pays your monies and you make your choices.

Last edited by WTF-J; 02-21-2010 at 05:54 AM.
WTF-J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 06:16 AM   #24 (permalink)

Member # 12499
Quote:
Originally Posted by WTF-J View Post
Same deal as above. Bought a Parker 50 a couple of years ago for <$500 and it works great. Sure, I'd love a Hypertherm and I'd also love a Torchmate CNC plasma table, but for this home garage it ain't happenin'.

You pays your monies and you make your choices.
Eggsactly, I have almost $20K in diagnostic computers that get used almost every day, a plasma that might get used a couple times a year doesn't warrant that big an investment. If I'm not gonna spend the money on a newer, bigger toolbox (that I'd use EVERY day), I'm not gonna spend big bucks on a plasma.

Hopefully, mine will be back up and running for longer this time.
PTSchram is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 07:52 AM   #25 (permalink)

Member # 45530
Quote:
Originally Posted by iniviate View Post
~3 years ago i bought a parker plasma for $299 from a guy selling them here on pirate. it's the same exact unit this guy has.

mine still works great today, it's never once given me an issue. i use it all the time.

so..... fawk off, brand whore.
Same as a TON of other people on Pirate including myself. The only thing that pushed me to a parker is their customer service. I called them up the other day after buying that plasma over 3 years ago and the guy stayed on the phone with me for no less than 30 minuets getting my problem figured out (user error BTW) and my machine is still working great.
Panthers65 is offline   Reply With Quote