anyone have a "eagle" 2 post lift? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Shop and Tools
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2010, 03:55 PM   #1 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 128213
anyone have a "eagle" 2 post lift?

i know theres lots of opinions on lifts, and im not looking to get off the subject too much.

mostly wondering if anyone has the eagle brand, or their "mechanix" brand, or has first hand experience on them. been looking close at them. any good or bad thoughts?
yellowjacketfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 04:42 PM   #2 (permalink)
D60
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 6398
Didn't see a lot of first hand experience w that brand in particular when searching, but here's one:

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showt...ft#post3810407

My local repair shop has a symmetric Eagle. All I know is that they always have something on it. Seems fine (shrug).
Old 03-15-2010, 08:07 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 15461
It's been working fine, no complaints. What would you like to know?
95geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 09:35 AM   #4 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 128213
well, every lift manafacturer bashes the competition, so i thought id try to find someone that owns one of this brand and see if they have complaints.

im looking at several different brands, and reviewed every thread on here. all the other brands ill considered are covered in other threads, but havent heard good, bad, or ugly on the eagle or mechanix brand. i figure the person that owns one would have the most balanced view of it. which model do you have, and any red flags i should know about?
Old 03-15-2010, 10:49 AM   #5 (permalink)
D60
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 6398
Puppy's posted this before in plain text, but by going to the ALI website you can click on a manufacturer's certified lifts and pretty well figure out what all they make. For instance clicking on Wheeltronics will bring up Hennessy, Hofman, Snap-On, etc.

In this instance clicking on Eagle only brings up Eagle and Daytona.
http://www.ali-directory.org/ALI/ALI...000&Expand=3#3

So again not much help but if you can find anyone w a Daytona branded lift it's likely representative of Eagle's quality.
Old 03-15-2010, 11:31 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 15461
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowjacketfab View Post
well, every lift manafacturer bashes the competition, so i thought id try to find someone that owns one of this brand and see if they have complaints.
Ya, everyone thinks everyone elses product is sub par.

Figure out what type of lift or features you want in the lift and find the brand and model that fits your budget and interests. My dad and I searched high and low and finally decided on a 9k symetrical clear floor 2 post eagle back in 2004 or so. I've had half a dozen 3/4-1 ton diesel trucks on it, countless other vehicles and it's never missed a beat. No excessive wear, no slop, the cables needed adjusting one time and it's been flawless since. When you have 7k lbs or so on it and you hang off the bumper the truck will wiggle maybe 2-3" but it's not loose and it stops wiggling quickly so it's pretty rigid. We havent even greased the locks or arms since we put it in 6 or so years ago. We dont use it as much as a shop would but we've always got a vehicle on it and it probably cycles and average of 5 times a week since we've put it up.

I'd spend the money on the same one again.
95geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 01:51 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 12499
Greg Smith's customer service sucks. Hope to God you never need any help from him, oyu won't get it and he'll turn it back on you.
PTSchram is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 05:11 PM   #8 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 128213
Quote:
Originally Posted by PTSchram View Post
Greg Smith's customer service sucks. Hope to God you never need any help from him, oyu won't get it and he'll turn it back on you.
yeah, i read your thoughts on that in just about every thread on car liftsthanx i appreciate advice, but really hoping to hear from those out there with first hand experience with the EAGLE or MECHANIX brands.

if i dont get any other feedback ill assume they are medium, ie: nothing special but not notoriously crappy either....
Old 03-16-2010, 06:59 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 12499
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowjacketfab View Post
yeah, i read your thoughts on that in just about every thread on car liftsthanx i appreciate advice, but really hoping to hear from those out there with first hand experience with the EAGLE or MECHANIX brands.

if i dont get any other feedback ill assume they are medium, ie: nothing special but not notoriously crappy either....
My next one will be an Eagle four-post. The folks I've spoken with on the phone seem top-notch. Their lifts are ALI/ETL which Greg Smith's aren't and the pricing is about the same. I believe they even have a somewhat nearby warehouse for when I'm ready for lift number two (hopefully mid-spring, early summer if business keeps up).

From their sales material, I think the latching mechanism is more robust and won't be pinched by the ramps like Greg Smith lift is. I'm constantly either adjusting, inspecting, or checking before I lower to the locks as they aren't the best by any stretch.

I love my Greg Smith lift, just wish I'd never bought it from him.
PTSchram is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 06:35 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 17646
lift

I have the Bendpak 10k symetrical 2 post and couldnt be happier. Installation instructions werent exceptional but clear enough if your a good enough mechanic to need a lift
Old 03-21-2010, 07:41 PM   #11 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 138602
I dont have a ton of miles on my eagle but everything its built like a tank.

FWIW a trans shop next to where i work bought a off brand lift and have had all kinds of problems.
Grindin_Gears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 07:52 AM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 127251
my buddies shop has 3 eagles. they abuse the crap out of them with no issues. There not the sexiest but they work
RocksteadyRacing #246
Shortstar TJ
rocksteadyrobk#246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 05:53 AM   #13 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 128213
well an update for anyone that might be considering one like mine.....

i bought the eagle i was looking at. been up about 6 months now, no issues. with the base models, i knew i would be giving up features no matter what brand i went with. the part that seems cheap and sketchy is the motor/pump assembly. no brand, data plate missing all the important info, ect. obviously a chinese motor or equivelent. i figured if thats the worst part, i can replace it with quality when it goes out, so i can live with that.

install instructions are worthless. very sketchy. said to bolt one post down, and leave the other freestanding at the dimensions marked on the floor while you tighted the cables.... but when you tighted the cables, it pulled the post away from the marks, and you cant move it back under tension.... i finnally said forget that! and double checked my measurements and bolted the second one down. i had to go in 1 1/2 inches just to be able to get the cables hooked up. cause theres not enough to get the nuts started at the reall width.

so yeah, im happy with it. i guess if someone cant put one together, they probably dont have any buisness building off road rigs either...
Old 09-11-2010, 11:10 AM   #14 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 82908
i just got finished installing one for a friend today. its about like everybody else says, cheaper quality, but definately good for the hobbyist. i agree with yellow jacket on the instructions, but the asymetrical lift that we installed lined up like it was suppose to.

when i build my shop, i will prob buy an eagle if i cant find a good used rotary...
cgwfab is offline   Reply With Quote