Question for welders - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Shop and Tools
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2010, 09:53 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 15603
Question for welders

Seeing the fab and welding skills of some folks in here I thought yall could help and give me some advice. If this isnt the right place please let me know or move it.

I am looking for a MIG welder and have been looking around at some used ones. I have located a used Lincoln Idealarc SP-200. It appears to be an older unit and they person that has it laid down some pretty good welds it when I looked at it. Does anyone on here have any experience with this unit and if I decide to get it what do I need to look at to make sure its in good/decent condition.

THx in advance

Greg G
Old 03-19-2010, 10:19 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 20541
Send a message via AIM to ryan_ackerman Send a message via Yahoo to ryan_ackerman
ya that is a pretty bad ass machine. make sure you have the power to run it. also make sure that it comes with a wire feeder. what are you gonna be welding with it? how much do they want for it? just because somebody can lay down some good welds with a welding machine doesnt mean shit. im a certified welder and i can weld with just about any machine.
ryan_ackerman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 03-19-2010, 04:05 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 125550
if it is as good as my 1984 idealarc tig300 then it is a great machine but very power hungry mine at needs a 100amp input to get maximum power but that is 375amps
03dodgeoffroad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2010, 10:28 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master Apprentice

Member # 56692
The only real question with those older machines is if the are calibrated right. Worse case your volts might be a little off, but make sure the wirefeeder is good and is adjusted right and you shouldnt have any problems.

If your using a gun that comes with the machine I would suggest switching out the liner just to eliminate a variable and ensure good performance.
Old 03-20-2010, 12:20 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 15603
If this helps, here is a link to it http://memphis.craigslist.org/tls/1620855419.html I think I am going to take a chance and get this one.

Greg G
Old 03-20-2010, 01:48 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 17200
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpdxtreme View Post
If this helps, here is a link to it http://memphis.craigslist.org/tls/1620855419.html I think I am going to take a chance and get this one.

Greg G
Check the power input, three phase vs single phase.
Static-XJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.