Hypertherm.? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Shop and Tools
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2010, 05:58 PM   #1 (permalink)
Karnage

Member # 55444
Hypertherm.?

Looking at a new plasma, either the Powermax30, or Powermax45.
I like the cut capability of the 45, and it's definetely my first choice, but I like the dual power (110 or 220) of the 30.

The odd time I cut 3/8, but normally it's just 3/16" , and it will become the backup machine once I get a bigger one and the plasma table.

The only thing I wonder is, does the dual power option outweigh the loss of capacity, or does anyone ever find themselves using it? I've never had the option of running a plasma on 110, so don't know if I would use it very often or not
Old 04-08-2010, 06:09 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 44136
The only benefit I could see for the 110 is if you plan on it being portable. Otherwise, it seems pretty useless.
Snowbird13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-08-2010, 07:02 PM   #3 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 7876
Send a message via AIM to Arya Ebrahimi
jimcolt is a long time employee of hypertherm(and has a yellow star) and seems extremely knowledgeable on their products. You might try PMing him if he doesn't show up in this thread.
Arya Ebrahimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 07:18 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 116245
It's nice being able to "odd time" cut 5/8" steel with the 45. Never thought I'd need to do that, but I have.

Plus I'm tied down to my shop's compressor anyway, so 220V is the only way I'd run my plasma. I could see running 120V if you needed to be cutting while installing sheet metal ductwork or something like that... but if you're in a shop with 220V, it doesn't really come in to play. I bought a 50A 220V "RV Extension Cord" off of ebay, so I can get well outside my shop with the plasma now. Love that extension cord.

Love my 45. Bought in July last year, still on the original tip.
cabletech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 07:23 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 105381
I have a 30 and love it. I have tried the 110 and it does not have the power it has with the 220 but would work with sheet metal and up to 1/8 probably.

I don't use the 110 plug anymore as I don't need to.
firehawk7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 05:25 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 145912
Actually if you run the Powermax30 on a 30 amp 120 volt line, you will see no difference in power from operating it on a 220 volt input line. It is designed so you can run it on a 120 volt 20 amp (or even less input) but in that case you will notice less cutting power and thickness capacity.

To compare the 30 and the 45:

On materials below 3/16" you will see similar speeds and cut quality, but longer consumable life with the 45 as it has new torch technology called conical flow...developed after the 30 torch was introduced.

Above 3/16" the speeds start to drop off rapidly with the 30 due to power limitations.

Think about what you may want to cut a few years down the road before making your decision. If you foresee the need for more cutting or thicker materials, the 45 may be a wiser choice. I'm spoiled as I have both units (and yes, I have to buy them even though I work for Hypertherm!).

I keep the 30 on my welding cart with a Hobart Handler210 mig. I keep the 45 wired up to my cnc machine for mechanized cutting with the machine torch. If I need more hand cutting power I can plug the hand torch into the 45 in seconds without tools.

Either choice, the Hypertherm 30 or the 45 will be around for years to come and will be supported by the largest producer of plasma equipment in the world....located in Hanover NH, and owned by the employees! A wiser choice in many was compared to the import plasma systems!

Jim Colt
jimcolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 05:52 AM   #7 (permalink)
MC
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 21997
Send a message via Yahoo to MC
Go for the 45 unit and never look back. You never now when you will do some 1/2"

Fully machined components
We own the MFG process, click me
.................................................. .........

American Motors Engine HERE!!
TOLL FREE 1-855-433-3689
MC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 06:28 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 14528
You don't want it "too portable" or all your buddies will think they can borrow it whenever they want.
Bruce T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 06:50 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 145912
I had to show this picture of my woodsplitter I built 5 or 6 years ago, talking about things that friends like to borrow. It gets more use from my friends that just drive over to my house and take it home with them. I have a one friend that doesn't bring it back.....and he further complained that my design did not have a log shelf to help hold large chunks for splitting. This picture shows the log shelves being added with my last name clearly cut into them with my Powermax45 to remind him of where the splitter belongs. All of the parts on this splitter were cut with either a Powermax45 or a Powermax1000, even the 1" wedge and ram. Also had to add some 1/2" reinforcement to the ram, 11 hp was just too much for 1" steel! The 1/2" reinforcing for the ram and the 1/4" shelves were cut with the Powermax45 on my 4 x 4 cnc machine.

Jim Colt
Attached Images

Old 04-09-2010, 09:52 AM   #10 (permalink)
Karnage

Member # 55444
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcolt View Post
Actually if you run the Powermax30 on a 30 amp 120 volt line, you will see no difference in power from operating it on a 220 volt input line. It is designed so you can run it on a 120 volt 20 amp (or even less input) but in that case you will notice less cutting power and thickness capacity.

To compare the 30 and the 45:

On materials below 3/16" you will see similar speeds and cut quality, but longer consumable life with the 45 as it has new torch technology called conical flow...developed after the 30 torch was introduced.

Above 3/16" the speeds start to drop off rapidly with the 30 due to power limitations.

Think about what you may want to cut a few years down the road before making your decision. If you foresee the need for more cutting or thicker materials, the 45 may be a wiser choice. I'm spoiled as I have both units (and yes, I have to buy them even though I work for Hypertherm!).

I keep the 30 on my welding cart with a Hobart Handler210 mig. I keep the 45 wired up to my cnc machine for mechanized cutting with the machine torch. If I need more hand cutting power I can plug the hand torch into the 45 in seconds without tools.

Either choice, the Hypertherm 30 or the 45 will be around for years to come and will be supported by the largest producer of plasma equipment in the world....located in Hanover NH, and owned by the employees! A wiser choice in many was compared to the import plasma systems!

Jim Colt

Thanks. The new shop looks like it will have no shortage of 220, so it looks like I'm going with the 45. Just means that the next machine will be bigger

I may have a couple more questions for you, thanks for poking your head in here.
Old 04-09-2010, 10:36 AM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 115241
Send a message via AIM to varsis
Thanks for posting this thread up spidr. Im looking into one of these machines, or a longevity 50 amp... But the consumable life on this machine sounds to be a 1000x longer... Can anyone vouch for this? In comparison to the powermax45. I talked to the guy at the local praxair and he said this machine cuts very well. He said he has even seen it cut 2" metal at a severe sever. But still 2" on a small machine like this impressive. Only thing is the cost is 3x that of a china built one... Will I save on consumables over the years? Just a thought in here. Sorry for hijacking lol.I did post a thread bellow but only got one response.
Old 04-09-2010, 12:22 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 145912
Well I certainly won't promote the Powermax45 for cutting 2" material....while with a good steady hand on the torch you may be able to sever it, you could probably cut just as fast with a hacksaw!

Consumable life and reliability are two major features that Hypertherm has to offer over anyone else in the plasma cutting industry. We do not make the lowest priced plasma, but we make the most reliable, the lowest price to operate (due to consumable life) and our systems will all do everything we advertise them to do.....and then some. That and being built in the U.S. If you keep the plasma a few years and actually use it, the Hypertherm is less expensive to own. (higher purchase price + lower operating cost over time = less expensive)

Jim
Old 04-10-2010, 06:27 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 26935
Send a message via Yahoo to jduck
What amp breaker do you recommend for the 45?
jduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 05:02 AM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 145912
The input current draw of the Powermax45 when cutting at it's rated thickneses is 28 Amps with a 240 volt input voltage, and 33 Amps with 208 volts input.

The 45 has the capacity to stretch the arc to much higher output power levels....such as severing a piece of 1-1/2" thick material, or for arc gouging. These activities can create a higher than normal input current draw for short periods of time, in fact on 240 volt input power if you are cutting material thicker than the unit was designed for the input amperage can be as high as 45 Amps.

Input fuses or breakers should be in the 50 Amp range , although many use the 45 on a 40 Amp circuit for most normal aplications.

Jim Colt

Quote:
Originally Posted by jduck View Post
What amp breaker do you recommend for the 45?
Old 05-04-2010, 07:17 PM   #15 (permalink)
Karnage

Member # 55444
Quote:
Originally Posted by varsis View Post
Only thing is the cost is 3x that of a china built one... .
I've got to say, I've got the Powermax 45 in the shop now, and have been playing with it for about a week and a half, and it's definetely worth every penny. Way nicer to use than comparable units, and the drag tip on it rocks

Now I want a 1250 or 1650 and a cnc table though
Old 05-05-2010, 03:31 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 115241
Send a message via AIM to varsis
Quote:
Originally Posted by spidr View Post
I've got to say, I've got the Powermax 45 in the shop now, and have been playing with it for about a week and a half, and it's definetely worth every penny. Way nicer to use than comparable units, and the drag tip on it rocks

Now I want a 1250 or 1650 and a cnc table though
I am still deciding my issue is that hypertherm I can consumable locally. any other brand well I guess im out of luck unless they can use the same tips.

Ever thought about using the 45 for the plasma table? 100% duty cycle on 1/4"

Il have to check out your site here and keep looking for some of the cool stuff you will be building.
Old 05-05-2010, 03:53 PM   #17 (permalink)
MC
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 21997
Send a message via Yahoo to MC
Go with the smaller if its going to be a backup later.

Fully machined components
We own the MFG process, click me
.................................................. .........

American Motors Engine HERE!!
TOLL FREE 1-855-433-3689
MC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 08:09 PM   #18 (permalink)
Karnage

Member # 55444
This will be my backup

I like the fact that 1/2" by hand is a comfortable cut. The Miller I was using wasn't very happy with 3/8". This opens a new realm of possibilities until I get my table.
Old 05-06-2010, 12:25 PM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 145912
If you look a few posts back at the pic of the logsplitter....the new support gussets for the Ram are 1/2" steel as cut with the Powermax45, the log shelves are also cut with the 45 out of 1/4" steel. My name is cut in the log shelves so my buddies that like to borrow the splitter will remember where it came from.

Jim
Old 05-06-2010, 12:46 PM   #20 (permalink)
Karnage

Member # 55444
Yeah, that helped with the decision for sure. Thanks for the input Jim, I may have some questions for you towards the end of this year about another unit.
Old 05-09-2010, 08:58 AM   #21 (permalink)
mj

Member # 1919
the 110 option doesnt soundvery portable if it requires a 20 or 30 amp circuit. never seen a house with those breakers
I had a 110 mig that needed 20amp breaker. it gets annoying running to the breakerbox every couple minutes
mj is offline   Reply With Quote