Cordless Drills - NiCad vs LIon - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Shop and Tools
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2010, 09:55 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 41026
Cordless Drills - NiCad vs LIon

Alright guys, I'm looking at cordless drill/sawzall combos, I need both tools so it seems like a good idea. I know this is more construction stuff but I figured this place would have some good recommendations.

I have found 2 kits, one is $259 with a hammer drill and sawzall, but nicad batteries. The other is $229 with LIon with a normal drill, sawzall and a flashlight thing.

I'm not sure which to go with, better tools with lamer batteries or the new fancy smancy lithium deal. I don't really care about the one lb difference in weight, if the l-ion lasts a lot longer though that's another story. Can the l-ion and nicads be used in the same tools or are they differenct sockets?

$259-
http://www.toolking.com/dewalt-dck25...-saw-combo-kit

$229-
http://www.toolking.com/dewalt-dc3cp...tool-combo-kit
Old 06-01-2010, 03:37 PM   #2 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 70933
I would get a rigid over a dewalt. Lifetime warrenty (including batteries), At work we picked up some rigid cordless tools about 5 years ago right when they came out with them. So far we have gotten about 6 batteries replaced for just the cost of shipping one way. Its great, and I also think they build a better tool..

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91Toyota4x4 View Post
Alright guys, I'm looking at cordless drill/sawzall combos, I need both tools so it seems like a good idea. I know this is more construction stuff but I figured this place would have some good recommendations.

I have found 2 kits, one is $259 with a hammer drill and sawzall, but nicad batteries. The other is $229 with LIon with a normal drill, sawzall and a flashlight thing.

I'm not sure which to go with, better tools with lamer batteries or the new fancy smancy lithium deal. I don't really care about the one lb difference in weight, if the l-ion lasts a lot longer though that's another story. Can the l-ion and nicads be used in the same tools or are they differenct sockets?

$259-
http://www.toolking.com/dewalt-dck25...-saw-combo-kit

$229-
http://www.toolking.com/dewalt-dc3cp...tool-combo-kit
Call the shop at 541-223-8608
Sales@totalmetalinnovations.com
Rockrunner86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-01-2010, 03:41 PM   #3 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 143241
The dewalt lith ions are great. We got a drill/impact combo new at work a few months back and it is a lot nicer than the heavy old 18v nicads. The great thing about lith ion over nicad is they have nearly zero memory to the battery so you can take it off the charger whenever you want. All that being said, I just bought a 14.4 nicad dewalt drill because it was cheap.

EDIT: and after clicking you links, they both look like nicad to me, so I would go with the hammer drill most likely.

Last edited by Jbevs; 06-01-2010 at 03:44 PM.
Jbevs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 03:44 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 18733
This probably won't be an issue for you but in case someone from a colder climate is reading this. I've heard from contractors up here in the frigid north (Canada) that the lithium batterys don't like being cold. So if you are working or storing your drills in the cold you will probably want to stay away from the lithiums.

That being said for me, my tools are always kept inside and correct me if I'm wrong but the lithium batteries won't develop a memory and will therefore last longer so I would go 18v lithium.

Cheers

edit: wow I'm slow, two replies while I typed!

Last edited by Grazz256; 06-01-2010 at 03:46 PM.
Grazz256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 04:30 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 41026
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbevs View Post
The dewalt lith ions are great. We got a drill/impact combo new at work a few months back and it is a lot nicer than the heavy old 18v nicads. The great thing about lith ion over nicad is they have nearly zero memory to the battery so you can take it off the charger whenever you want. All that being said, I just bought a 14.4 nicad dewalt drill because it was cheap.

EDIT: and after clicking you links, they both look like nicad to me, so I would go with the hammer drill most likely.
Damn, your right about them both being Nicads.... guess I brain farted. I know all about the nicad memory deal from my RC days, it sucks.

I am prob going with this, then I can pick up the sawzall separately. http://www.toolking.com/milwaukee-26...pact-drill-kit

Thanks Guys
Old 06-01-2010, 06:00 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 129815
I have a few of the Milwaukee 18v LiOn cordless tools. VERY happy with them. Recently had two batteries replaced while working out of town at an independent retailer with zero hassles because the batteries weren't lasting as long as they did two years ago when I bought the drill.
slodat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 07:13 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 105852
I have used plenty of Milwaulkee Nicad tools at my last job and they were great as long as the new nicad batteries were charged correctly- I did not carry the tools in a belt but just grab off of the bench as needed so the 1lb. difference was not an issue to me and everyone else who used these tools. I have since purchased a LIon and love it as well if not slightly better than the Nicads simply due to the fact that is has good battery life and the last use out of the battery is as strong as being freshly charged until it has no more juice and simply the tool will not operate. It is worth noting that the LIon batteries do not like the colder temperatures much at all; if the tool will work at all. Also, from what I was told that the new tools with the LIon batteries will still operate on NIcad batteries, same with the chargers but not the other way around- someone can correct me if I am wrong. Hope this helps your decision.
dantheman27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 10:01 PM   #8 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 9152
I bought the Makita Lithium Ion kit and it's much better than I expected.
http://www.toolking.com/makita-lct20...iver-combo-kit
Old 06-02-2010, 04:04 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 53864
I"ll speak from my experience with the Li-Ion... I have Bosch drill 18v and it's done more than I would ever have expected it to. took on 3 (3/8 diameter) holes in a 5/8 piece of steel and an hours worth of drilling after that before the battery pooped out - but then it's only 30 min on the charger and the backup battery at least lasts that long.

They may be more expensive, but for my purchases I'll spend a little extra to get better quality.

I vote Li-Ion; and Bosch if you have the option.
XtremeOverKill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 05:41 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 41026
Went with the Milwaukee, got good reviews and the price wasn't too shabby. Also bought a freaking miter saw, I didn't think buying a house also meant going on a tool buying spree. I would be fun if I had more cash
Old 06-02-2010, 07:39 AM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 43079
Even though you already bought something, I have had the Craftsmen 19.2 set for around 6 years now. They had it on clearence because the case was damaged. It came with NiCd, I mainly use the sawzall and 1/2" drill.

I'm still on the orginal 2 batteries, but I kill the drill finally. Apparently the mosfet inside can't handle drill 2.5" holes repeatably. It also got pretty warm when I use to use it to prime my sitting engines with oil. I'm trying to get the mosfet but they are backorder at Digikey.

I haven't tried Lithiums yet as I am too cheap, but craftsmen has them for my set and I have a dual type charger. Also one of my batteries broke from dropping it too many times. The strip that links a battery to the other needs to be resoldered from that.

Also the Craftsmen charger has the trickle charge built in, so you can leave it on the charger all the time. All in all, I have been happy, but I also got them at a great discount. I would not use the cordless circular saw, it eats the batteries quick.

Last edited by 85f150dsel; 06-02-2010 at 07:40 AM.
85f150dsel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 04:03 PM   #12 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 143241
A while back they had the milwaukee lith ion 1/4" impact and drill combo on sale for 199. It was the cheapest LIon combo out there. To me it would be worth the extra coin for the impact just because driving screws with an impact fully kicks the ass of driving screws with a drill.
Jbevs is offline   Reply With Quote