Baileigh TN-250 Tube Notcher Review / Contest winner - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Shop and Tools
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2010, 09:45 AM   #1 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 11249
Baileigh TN-250 Tube Notcher Review / Contest winner

Baileigh Industrial TN-250 Tube Notcher

I was the Contest Winner for the Baileigh TN-250 Holesaw Tube Notcher Giveaway back in March and finally got some content for a good writeup.

/forum/general-4x4-discussion/874724-baileigh-tn-250-tube-notcher-contest-giveaway-win-our-new-notcher.html

I have put it to good use in my shop for a few months, so I thought I would pass on what I’ve learned and show off a few features this holesaw tube notcher has. First of all, this notcher is Made in America and if that doesn’t make you feel warm and fuzzy inside, I’m not sure what will! The TN-250 is a unique notcher and it has features unlike any other on the market. I’ll try to outline these features in the text below, but first here’s some information about how it’s shipped.

The Shipment Arrives

The first thing I noticed, other than the quick shipment of my notcher is Baileigh’s packaging to protect the tool during shipment. They use a fairly new system which utilizes positive displacement foam that conforms to the inside of the shipping box as well as forms around the tool to keep it secure. This ensures your tool will arrive with better chances of being operable, rather than broken. No packing peanuts here! The TN-250 weighs in at 50 lbs so it is a heavy duty unit. Since I was a contest winner, I also got a hat or two, decals and a big banner!

Vise handle and fasteners

Rotating Assembly

Main Body

Assembly of the TN-250

As shown above, the TN-250 is shipped in 3 parts all in the same box consisting of the main body, rotating assembly as well as the vise handle and hardware. I found, the easiest way to assemble the notcher is to clamp the main body into a shop vise and assemble from there.

You’ll be ready to notch in mere minutes. Install the rotating assembly by installing the bolt capture plate and 9/16” socket screw fasteners using a 3/8” allen wrench. There is a slight tolerance between the main body and the rotating assembly to keep everything lined up.

The way this notcher is constructed, you can easily adjust from zero offset to 1” with one simple adjustment. No need to remove the screws and install shims or adjust the bearing block. Lastly, install the vise handle with the supplied socket screws with a 1/4” allen wrench. Besides setting the notcher to your desired angle, and installing the metal cutting holesaw of your choice, you are ready to use it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverZuk View Post
"I did it mainly because my 5 year old daughter thanks a Pink Cow is pretty funny!"

Last edited by MudzerK5; 09-07-2010 at 10:08 AM.
MudzerK5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2010, 09:46 AM   #2 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 11249
What’s this thing made of?

The main body and rotating assembly of the TN-250 is constructed of 1” thick machined 1018 cold rolled steel plate with all surfaces precision milled and coated in a machinist black similar to the coating on many fasteners on the market. A bronze bushing ensures super easy left and right rotation between notches in a full 230° axis. The radial vise has 6 fingers that are also precision laser cut steel and are zinc coated for a rust free clamp on your tube or flat stock, regardless of its shape or size as long as it fits in the machine. The clamping jaws are separated by the steel of the main body, so that wil give you an idea of how thick the radial vise assembly is.

Radial vise jaws

The outer plates of the radial vise are zinc coated and are laser cut from 1/4” steel. Attached to the rotating assembly is a laser etched degree ring displaying the entire axis angle in 5 degree increments and a large red pointer that is stout and easy to read.

Degree ring

Bearing Block

The notcher features an Aluminum bearing block, housing 2 sealed needle bearings. The bearing block is mounted on a double slotted rail allowing for 8” of adjustment fore and aft as well as it allows the block to be mounted across the two slots for more adjustment.

I owe you guys a few photos of this assembly and will get them uploaded and edit this post.

The arbor shaft is an induction hardened Thompson shaft with replaceable drill hex end as well as a replaceable thread end so that the main shaft does not get damaged at either end. The arbor shaft also has a lifetime warranty.

Vise Screw and Handle

The radial clamp vise screw is a hardened screw assembly that glides smooth due to a large handle and a bronze bushing and precision machined screw threads.

The vise handle is laser cut from 3/16” plate and pressed to bow the levers so they are easy to operate. The handle is powder coated for long life.

Every part on this machine is built for brute strength, making it a tool that will give you many years of service.

Quote:
"I did it mainly because my 5 year old daughter thanks a Pink Cow is pretty funny!"
Sponsored Links
Old 09-07-2010, 10:00 AM   #3 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 11249
How does it work?

As shown in previous posts on the boards, you can see it will clamp a multitude of shapes and sizes. The TN-250 holesaw tube notcher is capable of clamping a 2-1/2” diameter tube, securely in its radial vice clamp – whether it is a straight or has a bend in the tube. The radial vice clamp is by far one of the most interesting features of the notcher with its notoriety being the ability to notch into a bend. You can not only notch into a bend perpendicular, you can also literally notch straight into a bend! At this time, NO other holesaw tube notcher on the market is capable of doing this. Sure, some do claim to be able to clamp a tube in a radius, but there is absolutely no amount of precision when doing so and the clamping force is negligible.

There are so many possibilities with this system that is exciting to think of new ways to use this beast!

I had to notch up a set of shackle mounts for a bud's trail rig and here are a few pics of the notches and finished products.

CAD Model of the assembly

Notching

Finished Product

I will be updating this post with more notches and projects as they get under way. I have a nostalgia drag car to build, tube bumpers for a crawler and some ATV bumpers and racks. This is a work in progress... Stay tuned!

Quote:
Old 09-08-2010, 03:15 PM   #4 (permalink)
Addicted to Gear Oil

Member # 56050
Lucky Bastard

That is
Originally Posted by General Dwight D. Eisenhower
History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid.

For the best deal on 8 lug disc brakes click here--> www.lugnut4x4.com
guidolyons is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2010, 03:07 PM   #5 (permalink)
Fabrication Royalty

Member # 116406
Any updates?
www.baileighindustrial.com
920-482-3220

Metal Fabrication Heaven
BAILEIGH INC. is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2010, 01:25 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 177911
The set screw on the bearing block?
Markee757 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2010, 08:10 AM   #7 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 11249
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markee757 View Post
The set screw on the bearing block?
Thats to add oil to the bearing assembly. It has seals on the outer sides of the bearings and that makes it move smoothly while notching.

I have some updates Shane and I'll get them posted as soon as I grab a few pictures.

Quote:
Old 12-29-2010, 08:12 AM   #8 (permalink)
Fabrication Royalty

Member # 116406
Quote:
Originally Posted by MudzerK5 View Post
Thats to add oil to the bearing assembly. It has seals on the outer sides of the bearings and that makes it move smoothly while notching.

I have some updates Shane and I'll get them posted as soon as I grab a few pictures.

right on!
920-482-3220

Metal Fabrication Heaven
Old 01-02-2011, 08:41 PM   #9 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 11249
Got a little time to work on a project over the Holidays to show the Capabilities of this rig, once more...

I'm Building a bumper for a bud's Polaris Ranger and I had to notch into the bend a few times and at that time I did not have the Camera charged, but went back in time to duplicate the process.

Here's what I found:

My build led me to the normal notches, but I also had to make some notches in a bend in two places as shown in the pic above. The Rhino bumper is built outta 1-3/4"x.093' tube.

I built a duplicate notch with a piece of 1-3/4"x.093" tube - with a long piece of 1-5/8"x.120" tube welded to it to ad some length and weight. Hey, I dint want to waste tube here guys! The Economy is Baad.

So, I tacked the test tube of 1-3/4"x.093" to the 1-5/8" to give it some length to show how much clamping power the TN-250 has within my reach.

This piece is easily clamped into the Notcher, enough that I could let go and grab the level.

After that, just for kicks - a tape...

This piece is around 56" hanging off the clamp of the Notcher. The deal is, you can still "level" the long piece by eye, then grab the large ass clamp handle of the TN-250 to secure the piece. I could then get more precise on how level the tube is by tweaking it, then cranking down like a Crack Hoe on a 2 dolla bill.

Behind scenes, I actually used both hands!

Then, we proceeded to line up the notch by eye. Hey man, you can even get more scientific if you use the attached dial, but I like to pretend to know what I'm doing.

And of course, easily fire up your drill and NOTCH!!!

Quote:

Last edited by MudzerK5; 01-03-2011 at 09:23 AM.
Old 01-02-2011, 08:42 PM   #10 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 11249
This notch was shallow, sort of like I've been in this post.

But the real deal is here guys, you can seriously grab a long piece of tube and notch into a bend or even do normal notches, with ease! This has been the gift that has kept on giving this Christmas Season. Glad I have it in my Shop and I plan on posting up more crazy notches to show its Capabilities real soon.

The above notches were made to show what it can do, but heres closeups on the notches I preformed on the Ranger Bumper.

Both above being "In a Bend". It's that Simple man. Thanks again to Shane at Baileigh for the Killer TN-250 Giveaway and also to Pirate for bringing it to me. I'll catch you guys up later when I start a 4130 1-5/8" chassis for a Nostalgia Drag Car!

Quote:
Old 01-03-2011, 09:15 AM   #11 (permalink)
Fabrication Royalty

Member # 116406
Lookin good man!

Thanks for the update!
920-482-3220

Metal Fabrication Heaven
Old 01-05-2011, 08:32 AM   #12 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 11249
The more I use this, the more I love it. The bumper I am bending up is for a relative's Polaris Ranger. I took measurements and drew up this little rendering to show him what the end result should look like.

Had a couple compound bent tubes and it takes seconds to set them up in this notcher.

Throw the tube in, grab a allen wrench and crank down the angle and you are literally notching that fast. I effing HATE my old Drill Press style Notcher so much I sold it!

One of the uprights sitting in place - Need to clean up the tube and get to welding. Also my Shop is Dayum Mess!

Quote:
Old 02-03-2011, 07:22 AM   #13 (permalink)
Fabrication Royalty

Member # 116406
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showt...light=baileigh

Here is your chance to win a second one.
920-482-3220

Metal Fabrication Heaven
Old 05-06-2011, 08:09 AM   #14 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 11249
Btt

Quote:
Old 05-07-2011, 02:56 PM   #15 (permalink)
I make websites!

Member # 12429
still going strong eh?
Old 05-08-2011, 06:13 PM   #16 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 11249
Sure is, about to start on a full chassis soon so I'll give it a workover.

Quote:
Old 09-14-2011, 01:39 PM   #17 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 11249
Quote:
Originally Posted by MudzerK5 View Post
Sure is, about to start on a full chassis soon so I'll give it a workover.
I'll start that chassis when Hell Freezes Over! I can't seem to get started on my old Nostalgia Drag Henry J, but someday... In the mean time, here's a small project I did with some notching.

It’s now College Football season here in Mid-Missouri and what that means is we have 6 home games for some good ole Tailgaiting! Year after year, we’ve always thrown our old grill or little pancake sized grills in the back of the truck and headed out to cheer on MIZZOU! This year, we wanted something a little different. Recently my FIL discarded his old charcoal grill in favor of a new one so I grabbed his beat down old grill and thought I would make it useful as well as more functional for our use - You know… Get two Birds stoned at Once.

I sketched up something we could all (Fellow Tailgaters) agree on and started picking up the steel to make it happen. I have to apologize to my old friend Harold. You taught me better ways to draw up projects, but this time required a quick sketch!!!
First off, it had to fit in a 2” receiver hitch and be able to swivel so the tailgate could be lowered for a good place to sit. Given this, it needed a damned sturdy hinge as this grill weighs in around 40lbs unloaded.

I bought a 3500# trailer spindle with bearings, seal, spindle nut and cap at our local Farm Supply store on the cheap and secured a short piece of Schedule 80 2” pipe. I cut the seam out of the pipe with my hand mill (cut off wheel) and worked till the bearing races were a easy press fit into the “hub”. This is nothing more than Scott at Rockstomper have provided for years, in fact by the time I was finished - I should have bought his due to cost.

Bearing Kit with seal.

I used 1-3/4” x .120” HREW tube for the main frame of the assembly and chucked it up in my bender and kinked a couple 90°’s per my sketch. I cut a chunk of 2" square tube and drilled out the pin location and burned it in place.

I wanted to secure the hinge spindle in the main tube solidly, so I used my Baileigh TN-250 Notcher to perform a through notch at the end of the tube. I performed this notch in the traditional way with the Notcher clamped in the vice and the tube in the notcher, however below I will try a non-traditional notch to show off its capabilities.

Just so the chassis fab guys can see its capabilities, I performed the same notch on scrap tube with the tube clamped and leveled in the vice and the Notcher clamped directly to the tube to simulate a possible tube mounted on the car, needing a notch. I'll edit this post soon and show a video of this operation.

Knowing I had a good, square notch in the tube, I could set the spindle into its hole and burn it in place. With my notcher back in the vice, I installed a 2-3/8” hole saw to notch the swing tube to fit the Schedule 80 hub, cleaned up the notch and threw it back on the table for a final burn in. We now have the main assembly together. It’s time to spend the rest of the weekend doing the minor details.

2 3/8" Hole Saw Notch.

Welded main assembly.

Quote:

Last edited by MudzerK5; 11-16-2011 at 11:14 PM.
Old 09-14-2011, 01:44 PM   #18 (permalink)
Fabrication Royalty

Member # 116406
920-482-3220

Metal Fabrication Heaven
Old 09-14-2011, 01:49 PM   #19 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 11249
The swing out bar needed a stop, because once the BBQ grill is attached, we don’t need it slamming the tailgate. It also needed a stand to keep it from bouncing while in travel, so I quickly cut out some plate and tube and burned it all in. With that done, we need a latch to keep it all in place during travel, plus we need a foot to drop down to take the weight off the huge moment arm I’ve created with having the hinge point outside the range of the tailgate.

Our local steel supplier sells a cheap little spring loaded latch pin so I grabbed one and burned it into place, including a latch plate to keep the assembly closed during travel. I leveled up and burned in a horizontal tube that attaches to the grill and its almost ready to mate to the grill.

Pin Latch.

Now that the assembly pivots and latches, I need to devise a foot. Out comes more scrap tube and some quickly made brackets and we have an adjustable foot designed to the exact specifications of our parking spot at the Mizzou Arena and our Tailgating vehicle.

Capped end of the tube.

Time to make the assembly fit the grill. More scrap tube, plate and grind, grind, burn, burn – it’s installed! I used some 3”x.25” bar stock to support the grill as well as one 7/8” down tube all welded to a few 1” square tubes I installed where the old legs were. Lastly, I burned in a dowel rod handle I made since the original handle to open the grill had rotted off.

Test Fit on my shop vehicle and it works great. Good way to recycle old junk and a few tubes into a useable masterpiece. This thing fits my BIL's F250 (tailgating vehicle) much better, but I did not grab pics first.

Thanks to Shane at Baileigh and the Folks here at Pirate!

Quote:

Last edited by MudzerK5; 09-14-2011 at 01:50 PM.
Old 09-14-2011, 03:11 PM   #20 (permalink)
Fabrication Royalty

Member # 116406
That is sweet!
920-482-3220

Metal Fabrication Heaven
Old 11-17-2011, 10:56 AM   #21 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 11249
Update: I perform a through notch on a non-captured tube to simulate an open ended tube already mounted on a chassis. The TN-250 can be taken off the vice and used directly on the tube very easily!

Baileigh TN-250 Notcher - YouTube

Quote:
Old 01-27-2012, 08:52 AM   #22 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 11249
I have been dabbling with tube for the past few weeks, so I thought I would post up some of my creations so far. This is a customer job so I should have updates regularly. I did my standard Render to show what I plan on doing and to get a quick estimate of tubing so I could get it ordered.

I know... its a Nissan body, but I stretched it and made it work for my rendering per the dimensions of the Toy.

I started bending up the A-pillars and mocked them in place.

Door Bar per the rendering above. I actually "frenched" this into the cab just a little - enough to protect the door jam if a tree or rock might come in contact when he's 2 wheelin in a ditch.

Using another cool little Baileigh tool, I fabbed up a light bar that will hold (6) 6" diameter off road lights and will be adjustable, plus removable in the event the trails get tight. Thats a real problem here in Missouri - our trails are tight because of trees and so on, so even a Toyota is too fat for some trails!

Eyebrow bar in place and tape to simulate windshield supports. The light bar will mount just in front of the eyebrow.

I bent 2 different dash bars and both sucked, so I am going to make one that has 2 bends in lieu of 3 or 1 as shown in the pic.

Everything will tie into the frame at each downtube besides the shoulder bars. At each down tube, I have cut a hole in the floor, then slid the tube through, and cut an 11 guage 4x4 plate with an 1.75" hole in the center and burned it all into the floor to tie the body in as well.

I'll update you with more progress soon...

Quote:
Old 04-22-2013, 10:18 AM   #23 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 11249
Forgot to update with finished pics of the truck.

Quote:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.