I want to make a work type flatbed. - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Shop and Tools
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2010, 10:03 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 171157
I want to make a work type flatbed.

Okay I will get it over with. I am new here. There now on to better things.

I have been lurking for a while now. It is quite obvious that there are a lot of knowledgeable people on here. I love my 4x4 but am not a hardcore wheeler like many of you. It is used for work (carpentry) and getting me into the back country for hunting and camping. I read the whole Toyota flatbed forum and have a good idea of what I want. I just need some material guidance please. Should I use channel, square, and/or rectangle? Given the fact that the truck is a light platform to begin with what would be a good ratio of strength to weight (wall thickness of the metal)?

My rig is a 09 Tacoma 4x4 4cyl. I want to take the box off and build a flatbed. I am thinking 6' wide and 6'8" to 7' long. Kicking the idea around of having a oak or cypress deck on it. I will fab. it myself. I have a welder and am good at building thing.

Thanks for any help.
Mark
flippinover is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2010, 02:13 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 17042
Picts of what you are thinking of building?
Old 10-13-2010, 02:23 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 171157
76scoutman... I see we are almost neighbors. I have a couple of pics. but don't know how to post them yet.
Old 10-13-2010, 02:30 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 17042
Quote:
Originally Posted by flippinover View Post
76scoutman... I see we are almost neighbors. I have a couple of pics. but don't know how to post them yet.
Well since you don't have a red star you will have to host and link here.

1/8" thick tube should be sufficient for what you're wanting to do and not build it too heavy. Will partly depend on how you want to mount the boards.
Old 10-13-2010, 02:53 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 171157
no red star story of my life.

I am planning on using 5/4" x 6" wood. I will mill a tongue and grove on it. I really haven't settled on a way of attaching the wood yet. I thought about welding bolt tabs across the deck supports. Should I use 2x2 or 2x3 tube? Also I plan on bolting the bed to the frame. Do I need use some type of bushing?

76scoutman:
Do you use L.Miller and son here for metal?
Old 10-13-2010, 03:04 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 17042
I typically use Service Steel, ask for Johnny.

I would have to see the truck to say what size would look best but 2x3 turned 3 high would probably be ok. I wouldn't bother with bushings but would mount it to the existing bed mounts if you can.

You'll also want to think about cage, storage boxes, lights, bumper, spare, front wall, rub rails, as well as what you need to make this an efficient work truck.

What equipment do you need to haul and are you going to use this as an equipment and tool work surface?
Old 10-13-2010, 04:54 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 171157
so in steel tube is 1/8" called 11ga.? Is there actually any information/charts on the web about the strength of the different size steel tube?
Old 10-14-2010, 06:22 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 105852
instead of a treated wood bed why not use some expanded metal? You are already going to have some of the supports there for the wood bed and you may need to narrow the spacing/add more supports for the give in the expanded metal if you wish. I would imagine this kind of setup would be lighter but you may already have the wood being a carpenter.
dantheman27 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2010, 07:09 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 171157
I am going with the wood for several reasons. But mostly because that is where my Mountain Cur dog rides. I don't really like having her back there, but that is where she likes it. It is hard to hunt a carsick dog. I believe that wood should be the most neutral insulator in this application.

Do I need to worry about the tubing rusting on the inside? If so are there any suggestions on how to treat the inside of the tubing?

Thanks
Mark
Old 10-14-2010, 07:27 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 7753
Hello, wood is a good choice, but don't T&G it if you are in a humid climate or carry soils etc in the truck. It will rot in short order.

What are you carrying? That will determine cross member spacing and material thickness. Also remember flatbeds are always heavier than the original box.
Slowzuki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2010, 08:03 AM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 171157
I went to Colorado On a self guided elk hunt. I like to put my stuff in totes to help keep the rodents out. Because of the wheel wells I couldn't make the totes fit good. I have a trailer that I built and had to use it to haul gear. That eats into the gas budget. With out the wheel wells I could have gotten 3 totes across and not have to pull a trailer. The truck has the upgraded springs so that should help some. Any heavy Hauling and I just pull the trailer.
Old 10-14-2010, 09:15 AM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 7753
I like flatbeds too, but if thats the only reason to have one, why not build a rack that makes a flat shelf over your wheel wells to hold totes? A flatdeck is great when you need to load stuff over the sides or haul things that will hang out over, but it raises the floor of your entire bed higher than the wheel wells wasting a lot of cubic feet.
Slowzuki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2010, 09:39 AM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 171157
No that is not the only reason. It is just the straw the broke the camels back. As mentioned earlier I am a carpenter. I am alway going over the side to get stuff. I also have a 4' job box that only fits in length wise now. So a flatbed would be better. Plus I can flat stack plywood without the wells in place.
Old 10-14-2010, 01:23 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 17042
Here's a starting point I found on Tacomaworld. Sounds like you just need a flat platform with a front wall/headache rack. You would be able to lower the bed down more if you made raised wheel wells but sounds like you don't want to do that. Just a blank deck that you can strap what you want on top (be it a work box, dog box, cargo bins, cooler, etc). I take it you're keeping the spare in the stock spot? Is there any lift/bigger tires?

As for the inside of the tubing rusting, don't worry about it.

As for the strength of materials, don't worry about it. It's a flatbed, not the space shuttle.
Attached Images

Last edited by 76scoutman; 10-14-2010 at 01:24 PM.
76scoutman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2010, 10:46 AM   #15 (permalink)
Hate keeps me warm

Member # 151139
Jensenkennels has the coolest flat bed /forum/dodge/448507-project-1-ton-fun.html

Also search "*official* Toyota flatbed" thread. It has some descent ideas.

I also seem to remember a huge flatbed picture thread, but I cant seem to find it.

Good luck
And there ain't no good chain gang
Grumpy356 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2010, 08:48 AM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 171157
76scoutman- That is it... plain and simple. I wish I could post a picture as an attachment. I have couple of good pics. of what I am thinking. There is no lift and I don't have plans for one and i am running stock size tires.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.