Cherry Picker - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Shop and Tools
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-30-2011, 07:23 PM   #1 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 26468
Send a message via AIM to BigWoodyWag
Cherry Picker

My attention to detail and need for a good "Cherry Picker" got crossed up recently.

To begin I have to go back a couple years. Someone offered my dad a "FREE" Engine Hoist, he has a good one, but since he's a sucker for "FREE" he drags it home. It's a real pile! The roller bearings are out of every caster, so they won't spin unless you smack them with a hammer to get them to line up. The jack will only lift to horizontal and I had gone to wrapping the base with a rag because it leaked so much oil. But again it was "FREE". Dad more or less pawned it on to me, since I didnt own my own. My plan was to restore it but time flew and it got pressed into service more times than I'd like to count since it sucked so BAD.

Well in August last year it met its full demise at Bonneville. I drug it home and it sat outside until a few weeks ago, rusting and languishing.

Here is the monster rebuild and attention to detail upgrade of a Pile-O'Junk AC-Delco hoist from Oriellys.

New they are $299
http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/ACD9/34132.oap

So I figured even if I spent a bit more than $300 redoing mine the way I want it, I'd be better off than buying a new one.

So first up. I bought a new Replacement jack from Oriellys $105.
http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/ACD9/34133.oap

Here it is slightly after being torn down and modifications have begun. Note the dirt & oil around the jack mount and then down?

Next up casters, and an upgrade.
Ballbearing 6" bad mamajamma's, $72. These roll like silk even on uneven pavement or as I need on Salt and not sink in. Downside its much taller now so going under low vehicles it no beuno. I may build a new set of low rider legs for it though, we'll see.

I did break down the old casters and steal the old wheels, they are nice and worth saving.

Now with the wheel upgrade the mounts on the chassis were totally undersized. Bring on the new burned ones.

One thing this Hoist gets used for is to lift the nose of our SaltCar for loading and unloading off the trailer. Kind of a mini-towtruck boom. It has a 2" receiver and you'd hook and jack up to lift the car and could pull it out of the trailer with the truck. Well the old one was welded in place and made for a BITCH when packing the trailer and strapping it to the wall. (as a matter of fact it wiped out one of our Moon wheel covers last year, luckily Moon was pitted right next to us and we traded tool use for a new one) So the new version receiver is removable and stash able.

Old 05-30-2011, 07:23 PM   #2 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 26468
Burned in

Now what to do with the 2" tube when not in use??? Bring on some tabs!

As I mentioned this thing travels in my race trailer and occasionally attached to the receiver on the front or back of my truck. The Damn legs have always gotten tossed somewhere. Well no more. I pinned them.
Small spring loaded pins.

Which brings me to the jack itself when the unit isn't in use. The jack would just flop around. So I initially welded a 5/8 stud and you could use a bolt to hold it in place. I rethought that and cut a 5/8" receiver pin so you just pull the pin vs. needing a wrench.
Threaded before the 86'ing

Pinned as it is now
Sponsored Links
Old 05-30-2011, 07:24 PM   #3 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 26468
Now the next thing that swings around is the boom. Set it up to be Spring loaded pinned off the jack mount base.

Next up where to mount the jack handle. Before it had a piece of bailing wire so you could hang it off the handle. Some 1" tubing and whamo!

And lastly this thing really lacked tie downs or any good way to secure it in the trailer. Bring on the "Eyelets"
Old 05-30-2011, 07:25 PM   #4 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 26468
And here as some fully assembled pics before I tore it down to go to paint and powder coat.

And in case you were wondering about the ratchet strap. It goes down and hooks to the gooseneck chain catches in the bed of my truck to counter the lifting force when its hanging off the receiver.

And here is how it looks right now as I'm taking it over to my buddy Robert Leady at FURL Coatings (Fuck You Robert Leady) sometime this week. Any suggestions on colors? I'm planning on Powder coated main body, and then just single stage base for the legs, sliding boom, two vertical braces and the receiver tube. Red looks too generic like a Craftsman, I thought about Green as it would match my SnapOn box. But around my truck and the salt car it would look like XMAS with the Red & Green clash. Yellow looks cheap to me like Harbor Freight, same with Orange. I was kind of thinking Silver with White legs and stuff. Then get it pinstriped and labeled in Black and Red.

My next pics will be of it full assembled after getting coated. So a lot of work and I didnt even increase its carrying capacity

Last edited by BigWoodyWag; 05-30-2011 at 07:25 PM.
BigWoodyWag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 09:21 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 82644
Nice I like it. My buddy has this cylinder on his. Just hook it to the compressor.

http://www.harborfreight.com/8-ton-l...ack-94562.html
Old 05-30-2011, 10:25 PM   #6 (permalink)
Got Solar?

Member # 105362
Nice build. I actually have that exact same AC Delco cherry picker from O'Reillys, although it's only about 5 years old and not nearly as transport ready as yours is...

As for colors, you could alwasy go with the stock colors. Silver/Tanish and Blue.
krugford is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 09:27 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 93136
I like the hitch mount! Don't know where you got the wheels from, I got some 6" steel polyurethane wrapped casters for about $30 each and they have a 1,200lb rating per caster. Ive gotten all my casters for my axle dollies and mobile axle rack, might look them up http://www.cc-efi.com/Products/Casters/casters.aspx. Not trying to be a know it all, just might save you a little $.

Ive been kicking around the idea of upgrading mine too, was also free but one of the better heavier duty ones. Thinking about beefing up the boom, changing out the ram for air over, adding a couple pulleys to the topside, and a 12v 3,000 lb +/- winch to the back side. We'll see if I actually get enough motivation to do it...

[SIZE="4"][COLOR="Red"][URL="http://www.mudprometalworks.com/"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]MUDPRO METALWORKS[/FONT][/URL][/COLOR][/SIZE]

Last edited by NIDDLE; 05-31-2011 at 09:36 PM.
NIDDLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 09:42 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 29016
so what are those plastic caster rated at?
trkklr77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 06:11 AM   #9 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 26468
Quote:
Originally Posted by NIDDLE View Post
I like the hitch mount! Don't know where you got the wheels from, I got some 6" steel polyurethane wrapped casters for about $30 each and they have a 1,200lb rating per caster. Ive gotten all my casters for my axle dollies and mobile axle rack, might look them up http://www.cc-efi.com/Products/Casters/casters.aspx. Not trying to be a know it all, just might save you a little $.

Ive been kicking around the idea of upgrading mine too, was also free but one of the better heavier duty ones. Thinking about beefing up the boom, changing out the ram for air over, adding a couple pulleys to the topside, and a 12v 3,000 lb +/- winch to the back side. We'll see if I actually get enough motivation to do it...

No got all 6 for $72 + tax Thats $12 a piece. I use Mapp Caster, just walk in the front door and find what fits my needs for each project. They are just east of downtown Houston so its reall easy to scoot over at lunch. I'd have scrapped this thing before paying $72/wheel, shoot even $30/wheel is higher than giraffe pussy

I hear you on beefing up the boom. I really thought long and hard about it. Problem was I would be adding weight to an already heavy piece of equipment. And for my mobile needs of in and out of the trailer, etc. I opted to leave the boom alone....for now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trkklr77 View Post
so what are those plastic caster rated at?
They are actually Phenolic, and rated 900lbs/each. Mapp had some 6" Rubber on Aluminum Core Casters in the bargains bin for $10 but they were really heavy and for the couple buck difference I went with the phenolics. IIRC their capacities were near the same.

Dropped it all off yesterday to get powdercoated. The base, mast, and boom will be silver. An almost metalflake silver. And the legs, boom extension, support bars, and reciever will all be bright white. SHould have it back this time next week then taking it to a buddy of mine to pinstripe it and letter the boom for lift capacities. Should be a nice piece of equipment that will last another 10+ years before needing another revamp.
Old 06-01-2011, 07:11 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 4878
Send a message via ICQ to Travis Waldher Send a message via MSN to Travis Waldher Send a message via Yahoo to Travis Waldher
Guess you just have to keep in mind you have effectively derated your cherry picker.

900lb casters, means you probably shouldn't pick up 1.5-2 tons now since most of the weight sits on the front of the lift.

Don't know what you use yours for, but I've used mine to jack up rigs a lot more than I've ever used it for engines.
Travis Waldher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 09:09 AM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 4073
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Waldher View Post
Guess you just have to keep in mind you have effectively derated your cherry picker.

900lb casters, means you probably shouldn't pick up 1.5-2 tons now since most of the weight sits on the front of the lift.

Don't know what you use yours for, but I've used mine to jack up rigs a lot more than I've ever used it for engines.
I agree. The majority of the weight will be on the front two casters and if those two casters are rated for 900 lbs each- I'd follow those ratings considering the riskiness of how the load is suspended.

Last edited by Dustball; 06-01-2011 at 09:09 AM.
Dustball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 09:18 AM   #12 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 26468
Quote:

Appreciate your concern and input.
I can assure you that these casters are a HUGE upgrade over the ones that come stock on these units. The stockers are considered a Light/Medium duty caster, the ones I replaced with are a Heavy Duty unit. I was unable to get a rating for the listed rating for the stocker, but a compareable one was only 200lb capacity. Which is likely why all 6 of the stockers were trashed most missing half or more of the ball bearing that allow them to spin. The limiting factor is the steel of caster assembly not the wheel.

Here is the wheel I used as comparison to the stock ones. 200lb rating
http://www.mappcaster.com//DetailPag...402501STL.aspx

Stock vs. new. No comparison. The stock assembly is stamped maybe 1/8 steel, the new is 1/4" steel plate. The bearings on the stocker are non-greasable tiny units held in compression. The replacement is a greasable monsters held in compression

I fully agree with you somehow these things get used for this that and everything. The task I did most of the mods for was for when we are at the Bonneville Salt Flats racing. The salt is a bit soft and the old hoist would sink in when dragging it around, dont worry we would jack on plywood. And I used this hoist to lift one end of the car up to load and unload it since its so low it would otherwise get hung up on the lip of the trailer.

Not the best pic but only one I got of unloading this year. The jack itself blew a seal mid week so it didnt get reused to load back up.

Heres how the reloading went. Thank god for a winch in the trailer

Here is the car.
Old 06-01-2011, 04:57 PM   #13 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 26468
Quote:

I replied above, but you rubbed me the wrong way. So, I took some time to read a couple pages of your other posts on PBB. Wow you're a real Dudley Do-right....

Why exactly again did you post on my thread? And what grounds did you believe you had empirical knowledge to talk down to me that I had done some sort of disservice to myself and my piece of equipment?

I had already posted pics of the stock caster and the replacements, and yet you took a perception that the tiny piles of shit I posted where somehow superior??? Yes, I'm being a dick. But I'd like to know what empirical data did you bring to the table. Are you a mathematician, an engineer, a caster designer? Or just a guy inserting his asshole into a TECH thread that clearly was posted as an exhibit in attention to detail, purpose, and exhibition of forethought?

Yeah, I'm calling you out here because the whole progression and transfer of knowledge tends to be impeded by some assclown (insert Travis Waldher here) inputting their $0.02 on something they know zero about and have put even less thought into aside from lemming pluggin away at their keyboard like most "Shit Shat" sheeple on PBB.
Old 06-02-2011, 04:52 PM   #14 (permalink)
White Trash Fab

Member # 100827
Send a message via AIM to smewhtguy
Sweet upgrades and you garage is nicer than the kitchen in my last house before remodeling. Got to ask how fast does the car run?

The "Trifecta"
http://pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1027210
DirtyGirl build
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/gener...irty-girl.html
smewhtguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 07:44 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 4878
Send a message via ICQ to Travis Waldher Send a message via MSN to Travis Waldher Send a message via Yahoo to Travis Waldher
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigWoodyWag View Post
I replied above, but you rubbed me the wrong way. So, I took some time to read a couple pages of your other posts on PBB. Wow you're a real Dudley Do-right....

Why exactly again did you post on my thread? And what grounds did you believe you had empirical knowledge to talk down to me that I had done some sort of disservice to myself and my piece of equipment?

I had already posted pics of the stock caster and the replacements, and yet you took a perception that the tiny piles of shit I posted where somehow superior??? Yes, I'm being a dick. But I'd like to know what empirical data did you bring to the table. Are you a mathematician, an engineer, a caster designer? Or just a guy inserting his asshole into a TECH thread that clearly was posted as an exhibit in attention to detail, purpose, and exhibition of forethought?

Yeah, I'm calling you out here because the whole progression and transfer of knowledge tends to be impeded by some assclown (insert Travis Waldher here) inputting their $0.02 on something they know zero about and have put even less thought into aside from lemming pluggin away at their keyboard like most "Shit Shat" sheeple on PBB.
I'm guessing that caster is a 3" caster, just based on the size of the 6" caster you have. Now, unless that 6" caster is on the small side, the caster next to it is actually a bit larger than 3".

Within three sites, I find a 3" caster rated for 1,000lbs.
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...ct_40248_40248

I also found similar looking casters rated in the 250-300lb range on the way to those.

It is not inconceivable that the original casters on that thing were rated for a little more than 1,000lbs. Since no one could possibly know what the original wheels were rated for, personally I wouldn't go making assumptions about the old wheels being weaker than what you have now.

I liked the rest of the build up, never thought about a receiver mount for the thing before.

Last edited by Travis Waldher; 06-02-2011 at 07:45 PM.
Old 06-03-2011, 03:05 AM   #16 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 9835
Quote:
I'm guessing that caster is a 3" caster, just based on the size of the 6" caster you have. Now, unless that 6" caster is on the small side, the caster next to it is actually a bit larger than 3".

Within three sites, I find a 3" caster rated for 1,000lbs.
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...ct_40248_40248

I also found similar looking casters rated in the 250-300lb range on the way to those.

It is not inconceivable that the original casters on that thing were rated for a little more than 1,000lbs. Since no one could possibly know what the original wheels were rated for, personally I wouldn't go making assumptions about the old wheels being weaker than what you have now.

I liked the rest of the build up, never thought about a receiver mount for the thing before.
So you did all that caster research before you replied to his thread and only brought it up after you were so eloquently and correctly called out for being a douchbag?
ChiScouter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 07:02 AM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 4878
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiScouter View Post
So you did all that caster research before you replied to his thread and only brought it up after you were so eloquently and correctly called out for being a douchbag?
I knew the caster existed I just had to find it again to prove it to him. He never would have believed me.

And since when is it being a douchbag to point out a potential shop safety issue. Oh, that's right, it's when I point it out, right since you guys didn't jump dustball.
Old 06-03-2011, 08:01 AM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 12499
That shop is cleaner than my kitchen.

Car looks neat, I used to have an old front engine drag car, I never thought of using a drag car as a salt car.
PTSchram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 08:48 AM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 4073
Quote:
I knew the caster existed I just had to find it again to prove it to him. He never would have believed me.

And since when is it being a douchbag to point out a potential shop safety issue. Oh, that's right, it's when I point it out, right since you guys didn't jump dustball.
Well, I do agree with you. The fact that the original casters were falling apart shows that they were overloaded. Replacing the original casters with ones of similar load ratings will lead to eventual failure of the same type (ball bearings falling out). The advantage the OP gets with the new caster type is that it'll roll easier. With the taller profile of the wheels though, there will be more leverage on the swivels if the wheel don't get turned properly.

Last edited by Dustball; 06-03-2011 at 08:50 AM.
Dustball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 04:17 PM   #20 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 26468
and Dustin for the win!!!
I am concerned about the leverage on the taller caster, thought that when I was deciding on them. The Mapp rep said exactly what you did that with the better rolling it shouldnt be a problem. Its something I will be paying attention to. In the end the weldplates are on, and if I have to change casters to a lower profile I will, just take 4 bolts per wheel to swap.

Thanks for the compliment on the garage. I'm a neat freak, and the cabinets are nicer than the ones in my own house. Scored them from a 3 year old new build that was already getting remodeled.

As for the car. 2010 190" Spitzer Top Fuel frame with a rigid lower rail to take the flex out. In that pic its running a 155ci Ford 4cam Coyote good for a bit over 1200hp on methanol. Car runs upper 200's, and my goal is 300 with it after we clean up the air around the front axle and where the air exits over the chutes.

Got the call today that everything will be ready for pickup on Tuesday at lunch. I'm going to semi assemble and drop it at a guys shop to have it labled and pinstriped. He's a slow old dude, so probably be two weeks before I get it back from him.
Old 06-03-2011, 08:24 PM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 4073
Since you're pimping out your hoist- I suggest fabbing up a handle that attaches to your hoist cylinder release screw. Mine has a handle and it makes it very easy to feather the down speed of the hoist arm.
Old 06-04-2011, 07:07 AM   #22 (permalink)
Vertical Limits

Member # 26443
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustball View Post
Since you're pimping out your hoist- I suggest fabbing up a handle that attaches to your hoist cylinder release screw. Mine has a handle and it makes it very easy to feather the down speed of the hoist arm.
Good call, like a star wheel or T handle so you aren't trying to use the cheesy jack handle style to do it.
Wyatt, burn a fancy handle for it and install
Your ORI strut dealer along with about anyting else you need!
team Nasty co dog
blacksheep10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 07:18 PM   #23 (permalink)

Member # 28084
I made a similiar mod to my HF hoist last week. I added a piece of 2" tube to the back so I can stick it in reciever on the back of my truck. But I just welded it to the main upright tube below where the ram is mounted. Just remove 3 bolts and leave the extra weight of the legs on the ground. A pair of ratchet straps for pendant lines back to the tie downs in the bed and it's good to go.
Old 06-11-2011, 08:07 AM   #24 (permalink)

Member # 9576
Keep the photo's coming.

Since the cherry picker is used on the SALT, use of the different castor wheels makes sense.

On my homemade engine tilter... I stamped "max weight, 1000 pounds" on it. It will outlast me, so the kids someday will wonder "can I use it for that diesel engine?".
Old 06-14-2011, 10:42 AM   #25 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 9835
Here are some pics of mods I have done to mine over the years. I wanted bigger wheels, but I needed to keep the arms low to get under carts and trailer axles. I picked the wheels up used, they don't turn or roll well with a big load. If I was to do it over I would get phenolic wheels with a rounded profile, rather than the 2 inch wide flat profile on mine. The spacer between the jack and frame helped a lot to get the lift higher without shortening the effective length of the top arm. I am very happy with that mod. Mine started with 6 casters, now it has 4. To store it I have a small dolly I install that mimics the 2 wheels that were removed. Another trick I learned that worked well is to use bolts rather than the supplied pins for the lower arms and tighten them down snuggly. It makes it a lot more rigid, it rolls better, and is easier to position accurately.
Attached Images

ChiScouter is offline   Reply With Quote