Pirate 4x4 banner

5.3L & 6.0L Turnkey Engines - Starting at $1995

441K views 470 replies 159 participants last post by  4x4ExE 
#1 ·
4.8L, 5.3L & 6.0L Turnkey Engines - Starting at $1995

BD TURNKEY ENGINES are GM GENIII Engines that are obtained from wrecking yards primarily from California. They are 5.3L & 6.0L engines from trucks & suv’s. I stipulate they must be clean, free of unusual corrosion, and have reasonable miles for an aftermarket project or second car. These are the “cream of the crop” of junkyard engines.

The 5.3L & 6.0L GM engines are great engines for modern aftermarket projects. The 5.3L produces a legitimate 300hp, and the 6.0L, 325hp in stock form. With a good tune that I provide, these numbers go to around 325hp and 350hp respectably. With the addition of the Z06 / LS6 camshaft it is estimated that it pushes the 5.3L to 350+hp, and the 6.0L to 375+hp. These horsepower ratings are honest, naturally aspirated, and most importantly, RELIABLE – and AFFORDABLE!

My objective is to provide the budget minded garage mechanic / fabricator with a simple, one-stop-shop solution to modern fuel injected engines. My turnkey packages are truly complete. All you will need to run my engines is a fuel system & battery. Anyone that has completed an engine swap project knows how the “little things” will nickel & dime you to death. Additionally, my budget installation manual encourages you to utilize as many of the factory components as possible. GM spent millions in research and development of these engines, there is no need to reinvent the wheel!

PRICES - August, 2012

Demand is increasing significantly for these engines for various reasons. Many are getting exported and put back on the road. The average american car is 10.4 years old now and being repaired. Wrecking yards are having to pay more for them increasing my costs - PERIOD!. I have no choice but to pass it along. Prices will vary depending on AGE, MILEAGE, and CONDITION! Don't be discouraged though. A "turnkey" V8 290HP 4.8L for $1995 is still available.

COMPLETE TURNKEY ENGINES
generally 80 -120k miles - Sometimes less at a premium price!
4.8L ---------------------- starting at $1995.00

5.3L LM7 ------------------ starting at $2400.00
5.3L LM7 w/ Z06 Cam ------ starting at $3100.00

6.0L LQ4 ------------------- starting at $3200.00
6.0L LQ4 w/Z06 Cam ------- starting at $3900.00
6.0L LQ9 ------------------- starting at $4200.00
The prices above are somewhat the average for engines lately, for the real nice, clean, decent mileage stuff.

ENGINE OPTIONS & ADDITIONS:
- TO RUN 4L60e/80e TRANSMISSION - $50. Includes performance transmission tune, wiring, etc. for "plug & play".
- CRUISE CONTROL - $50. Only available on DBW engines.
- SMOG / EMISSIONS SETUP - $50. Includes MAF, Rear O2's, & Tuned for compliance.
- COLD WEATHER / LONG TERM STORAGE PREP - $30. Mallory fogging oil, RV antifreeze, rubber & plastic port caps, etc.
- TRANSPORT CRADLE - $50. Far superior to a tire!
- PALLETIZING - $50. Custom made pallet and ratchet tie-downs.
- SHIPPING INSURANCE - $30. Additional insurance for used goods up to $5000.

SHIPPING:
Shipping is pretty reasonable. I do charge a $50 palletizing fee and you will need the engine transport cradles that i make (can be seen in pictures) at $50. I have shipped to some odd East Coast locations for for around $350 with all the toll roads and bridges, and California for $150. So you can estimate anywhere in between. If you require a Residential and Liftgate I recommend shipping to one of the LTL Shipping Company Terminals and you go pick up. It is the same price as commercial. Residential deliveries are only required to unload at street. At a terminal they will put it in the back of your truck.
I won't be doing actually shipping costs until a deposit is given. Sorry, its just too time consuming for folks that are just window shopping.

TURNKEY HARNESS & ECM MOD, includes performance tune. Usually 1-2 week turnaround.
If you want to get your own wrecking yard engine.

1999-2002 DBC 4.8/5.3/6.0 ----- $400.00
With 4L60e or 4L80e tuning: +$50
2003-2006 DBW 4.8/5.3/6.0 ---- $450.00, send Pedal, TAC, TB. proper pedal-to-tb will be validated and throttle stop.
With 4L60e or 4L80e tuning: +$50
Cruise Control (dbw only): +$50

STIPULATIONS FOR HARNESS MOD:
-Has to be less than 100k miles.
-Must be original OEM that came with YOUR engine, not sourced elsewhere.
-Must have matching Pedal & TAC if DBW, not sourced elsewhere.
-Must have matching ECM, not sourced elsewhere.
-NO broken, chaffed, cut wires, or missing plugs - NONE! I can't stress this one enough. People consistently send me harnesses with complete portions cut off and missing. Please inspect harness carefully for damage. I MODIFY harnesses. I will NOT repair them.

Your BD Turnkey Engines come with the following:

Engine (of course!)
Engine Harness w/OBDII Port (modified OEM for minimum 3 wire hookup to run)
ECM (tuned to your specifications)
Gas Pedal Assembly & TAC Module (if DBW)
Intake Manifold
Oil Pan (generally truck style)
IAT Sensor
Fuel Rail - (5/16 & 3/8 hose easily adapts)
Throttle Body (DBC or DBW)
Throttle Cable, factory OEM style if applicable
All necessary sensors for turnkey application
Flexplate
Starter
Exhaust Manifolds, with connecting pipe to O2’s
Spark Plugs, Wires, & Coil Packs
Water Pump
Alternator & bracket
Air Conditioning Compressor, Bracket, Belt, & Port Blocks
Power Steering Pump & Bracket
Idler Pulley
Serpentine Belt

Every engine is VIN verified via CarFax, compression tested, placed on a run-stand, and brought up to full temperature. All sensors are checked for proper function, as well as general engine performance. I do not dyno run engines. I encourage anyone interested in my engines to come by and see and hear the engine run for your self. It is very satisfying to know you are truly getting what you pay for, a TURNKEY ENGINE!

If you require an engine be shipped I will forward you final pictures and run video similar to the one below.

Ultrasound 1GCGK13U43F109818 - YouTube

Emissions & DTC Codes

All of the Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC/check engine light) that do not pertain to this engine will be turned off in the tune. The DTC's that remain will help you trouble shoot a problem if the check engine light is being displayed. Most common DTC's are when sensors become unplugged, damaged or stop working. The sensors that remain on the motor are crucial to keep it running. This is a list of the sensor and /or codes that remain. Some of the sensors listed have several codes depending on what is wrong to help you fine tune a diagnosis.

IAT Sensor
Throttle Position Sensor
O2 Sensor Bank 1
O2 Sensor bank 2
Fuel Trim System Lean Bank 1 and 2
Fuel System Rich Bank 1 and 2
Injector Control Circuit
Fuel Pump Relay Control Circuit
Engine Misfire Detected
Knock Sensors
CKP Sensor (Crank Position Sensor)
Camshaft Position Sensor
Ignition Coil Control Circuit 1-8
PCM Memory ROM & RAM
5-Volt Reference Circuits

Drive-by-Wire (DBW) & WATER DEMONSTRATION

People consistently ask and believe they want a Drive-by-CABLE engine over a Drive-by-WIRE engine for reliability issues. Primary related to the system getting wet, malfunctioning, and leaving them stranded. Personally I have seen MANY DBC related issues with sticking throttles, broken cables, etc. and NO issues related to DBW. Just about every car manufactured after 2000 is DBW on the road today. Additionally, big cam motors with DBW are much easier to establish a steady idle and eliminate stalling. Older DBC engines use an IAC (idle air control) valve to control idle air. It is small, and has its limitations. DBW engines use the actual throttle blade as the IAC, it is large & reacts very quickly to maintain proper idle air flow. Other benefits of DBW are the ease of routing wires versus a cable. Cables need large sweeping curves to maintain longevity, smooth action, and no sticking.

CHECK OUT THIS VIDEO ABOUT DBW AND WATER!

Drive by Wire and water demonstration - YouTube

Please contact me via PHONE or DIRECT EMAIL below. I can forward you complete info and my budget install manual that covers transmission considerations and adapters, part numbers, links, etc. that will make your project go smoothly and most importantly - WITHIN BUDGET!

Bryan Dacus
Reno, NV.
775-240-3738
9am-9pm Daily - PST

direct email: bdturnkeyengines@att.net

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)

---------------------------------------------

CLICK HERE FOR CURRENT INVENTORY PAGE!!!

---------------------------------------------

They are VERY clean and the cream of the crop. When completed they will look just like all my engines pictures posted.

Option List
4L60e/4L80e +$50, Cruise Control (DBW only) +$50
TH350, TH400, or Manual Transmission no charge.
See first post for shipping info, etc.

Production right now is about 8 weeks out to process these engines. $500 deposit secures as yours. Balance due 7 days after completion. Email direct or call to finalize. Will provide Carfax on EVERY engine and a tentative completion date with deposit.

-----------------------
-----------------------

My engines are VERY CLEAN. Here are a just a FEW pics of engines I've done this year.

4.8L - V8 power for an affordable price.
Same block as the 5.3 with aluminum heads.
300HP on premium fuel.
Trying to keep them as my entry level turnkey motor at $1995.

Here is a 5.3 L33 all aluminum i did for a sandrail. Installed Z06 cam giving an estimated 375HP - Customer to do additional tuning. Not a "turnkey" motor

Here is a standard 6.0L LQ4

Here is an 8.1L BIG BLOCK that i'm working on for my own personal boat.

Here is a 2003 6.0L LQ9 Cadillac Escalade

READY TO SHIP!

#3 ·
I bought an LQ4 with Z06 cam from Bryan and I HIGHLY recommend his engines......buy with confidence and piece of mind over an unknown condition Junkyard or Craigslist motor!

Jeff

#4 ·
Bryan is badass! Very thorough detailed instructions. Harness is complete and well labeled. I put a lq4 with z06 cam in my cruiser. It was a complete no brainer install and has been flawless.
I just had another friend buy a 5.3 off Bryan to put in his cruiser and couldn't be happier.

#6 ·
GOOD QUESTION!

I don't like to, and don't get involved in transmissions. Unlike the engines that I compression test & run (every engine is probably on the stand running for an hour or more) there isn't a good way to test transmissions. If something is bad you won't know until YOU run it. Then i'm in the middle with a warranty issue and you are 1000's of miles away.

IMO, its much better to buy a trans from a local wrecking yard or rebuild shop to alleviate any warranty or return issue. There really isn't anything to do to them, it is a Plug-N-Play situation anyhow.

#8 ·
NO. My focus is for the more budget orientated builds or retrofits. LS engines are MUCH harder to get. Wrecking yards often if not always have a waiting list for them and they fetch a PREMIUM price, far beyond the "average" builder / fabricator IMO.

A 6.0L truck motor is a great base and with a few mods that aren't too expensive will get you in the 400+HP range at a fraction of the price of some of the LS engines. But if you really need that 500+HP you need to "build" it or lay down the $10-15k for an LS Crate engine.

#13 ·
ONLY 3 WIRES TO MAKE MY ENGINES RUN.
I give you more, but it can't be any easier!

3 main wires, 2 relays, Fuse block, & OBDII Port

October 12, 2011 - Current inventory to be processed

Can have ready in about a week.

2002 5.3L DBC, 110k miles - $1995 w/ stock performance tune, $2600 w/ ZO6 Cam. - SOLD

2005 5.3L DBW, 95k miles - $1995 w/ stock performance tune, $2600 w/ ZO6 Cam. - SOLD

2005 6.0L LQ4 DBW, 90k miles - $2800 w/ stock performance tune, $3400 w/ Z06 Cam. - SOLD

#15 ·
man these come with alot more than the junk yard gives us. really interested in a 6.0l......i have a 4wd turbo 400 tranny from an 85 pickup that went behind a 6.2l diesel how hard would it be to put it behind one your motors?
email me direct at: bdturnkeyengines@att.net and i'll forward you my install manual that among MANY other things covers transmissions. the trans should work, but you'd probably want to change the torque converter as it is relative to the diesel power curve.

#18 ·
Bryan, I wish I had heard about you sooner. This is exactly what I was looking for a year ago before I got a 2003 LM7 for my Scout. Now you have me thinking of selling what I have and buying one of your packages.

Do you sell just the modified harness and tune to put on the engine I already have? My LM7 is in my Scout without the harness right now.

#19 ·
from the top of page, first post;
TURNKEY HARNESS & ECM MOD, includes performance tune.
If you want to get your own wrecking yard engine.

1999-2006 4.8/5.3/6.0 ----- $400.00

this is to modify YOUR harness. if you don't have a harness & ecm it is almost better to buy a pure aftermarket harness as wrecking yard harness & ecm adds about $250 to the cost, so total $650.00.

also, do you have EVERYTHING? i.e., Pedal & TAC module, all accessories, etc? because if you don't, you might be better to sell.

#20 ·
Another very satisfied customer here! Bought a LQ9 6.0 from Bryan a few months ago. Way Cool! Great guy, great service, great attention to detail. I was able to go pick it up from him at his place and actually start my engine on the stand and rev it up a couple times, wow that is freakin' cool! What a piece of mind versus junkyard motors knowing everything is dialed, complete, and working! That is worth its weight in gold to me. Harness is sweet, instruction sheet is sweet, and the stand the engine was on (make sure you buy one from him) is sweet. After running my engine on the stand, I stood around and gawked at all of his cool stuff in his shop and 10 minutes later he had my motor ready to load up. Only if everything about building a rig from scratch was this easy, I would be golden..... I have spent a ton of money on parts lately for my build, and I will say without hesitation, best money spent so far, zero buyers remorse! Thanks again Bryan!

#22 ·
I don't sell "parts", just complete packages. But beware about DBW pedals & tac modules. there are several out there and compatibility issues. there is a common 50% pedal = 100% throttle problem with mix matched pedals, tacs, and tunes. it will throw the ECM into limp mode if not correct. I require the original pedal & tac that came with the engine and verify proper operation for my customers.

I only do GenIII. My focus has been for more "budget" builds and the GenIV & GenV is out of the price range of many builds - especially in this economy. I will be doing them down the road as by simple attrition the source for low mileage GenIII will eventually come to an end.

#24 ·
Oh shit, I was gonna call a local shop tomorrow about rebuilding my TBI 350 for my '89 suburban. So for another $600 I get a turnkey, lighter, higher power, more economic engine, hmmmm... Expect a call this week.

#30 ·
Yes, I change the valve springs also to the Z06 (yellow or blue have same specs) to handle the additional lift. The pushrods aren't necessary as they are the same length as the Z06. I run the Rev Limiter up to 6200 (factory is around 6000 depending on application) which is below the pushrod limit of 6500'ish from what most people recommend.

The Cam upgrade that I offer is a pretty good deal. Its no secret, the GM Performance Parts Cam & Springs from Summit Racing is around $375 out the door. I charge $600 for parts, install, AND the corresponding tune for the 5.3L-LM7 or 6.0L-LQ4

If you look at the Cam picture closely, and at the lobs, although the additional lift (approx .100") isn't apparent, you can CLEARLY see the added duration. Its no wonder it "wakes" these motors up.

On average the 5.3L draws about 7-8% more fuel in the upper RPM range from 4000-6000, and the 6.0L about 8-10%. You can directly equate additional fuel burn to HP increase. So a stock 5.3L is factory rated at 300HP. 8% of 300HP is 24HP. Increasing the moderate factory timing from 11 degrees (87 octane) to 22 degrees (91 octane) will give you another 15-25HP which puts a 5.3L/Z06 around 350HP, 25HP more than a stock LS1! AND, let me mention, for HALF the price at $2600.00, TURNKEY!

#33 ·
NOVEMBER SPECIAL!

I usually only like to deal with engines under 100k miles. This 6.0L LQ9 was sent to me as a replacement for a low mileage, but BAD 6.0L engine that had a rod knock and low compression.

keep in mind; all engines go through the same process including a HOT compression check to verify condition.

2003 6.0L LQ9 DBW, 113k miles, w/ performance tune

This is the High Output 6.0L from the Cadillac Escalades and Denali trucks & suv.

DISCOUNTED $3200 Turnkey! SOLD

#35 ·
Smog laws vary everywhere and change from time-to-time. So don't take your buddies word for it and check with local DMV before doing anything.

But, generally if the engine is newer than than vehicle and you run any and all smog related equipment than your good. The beauty of the 2001 and up GM is that there really isn't any "smog" related equipment on them and the EGR systems were eliminated. With a standard CAT the engines pass smog. I believe the need for the EVAP system (which i usually eliminate, but it is available) is related to whether your vehicle came with it as it is part of the gas tank & fuel system, not the engine.

Our engine swap regulations have changed in Nevada. You can not put a V8 in a vehicle that it is not classed for, or came from the factory. example: A guy up here put a Cummins Diesel in a Toyota 4Runner. the Cummins is for a 3/4 & 1 Ton class truck, NOT an SUV. Even though he lived in a NON Smog county, the black smog coming from his tail pipe prompted a highway patrol visit and he was sited. He has since removed the engine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.