Pirate 4x4 banner

NEW Hoodoo trail

45K views 132 replies 55 participants last post by  Mr Stubs 
#1 ·
Just got home from wheeling the new trail around Hoodoo ski area, it was F-ING AWESOME. In my opinion one of the best trails if not top 5 in oregon. Took us almost 5 hrs to run the 2 mile trail, very skinny, good obstacles, and sweet bonus lines. You can def. tell that some actual wheelers with most likely buggy or well built style rigs put there opinions in on this. Dont know how many people on here had a hand in creating the new trail, but great job. I will tell everyone that honestly this trail isnt for stock rigs I would say body armour is a must. The group I was with all vehicles were on built 60's fully linked 3 jeeps and a buggy I did have a bit of carnage at the end of the day Jnau99 and me decided to run the trail backwards and there is about a 8-10 foot waterfall/rock part and I ended up exploding my rear yoke and U-joint with some skinny pedal. This is one of those trails if you were to break halfway through the trail and it was something bad like no power it would be a serious task to get out and there is really no place to pass or escape out once you hit halfway. Sorry for rambling on but just thought i would let everyone know about it. Got a few pics that I will post for you guys..

#2 ·
Credit for the trail goes to Deschutes County 4wheelers. I made it to a couple of their work parties and the opening weekend for the trail last weekend. It really is incredible. I got my Tacoma on 33s and only rear locked through the upper section of trail, but didn't even attempt the lower section. A CJ5 on 35s made it through the lower and they said they got a guy through on 33s, but that is only with extremely experienced drivers.

More trails will be coming to Hoodoo, hopefully, by next summer. They have some good stuff planned.

#7 · (Edited)
I Love this trail and area

I have also been involved a little with the trail, only going to the last few work parties to get it done. all the credit goes to deschutes county 4 wheelers. they have been working for years to get this trail and are looking to expand the area. they have a prty good relationship with the forest service, so if you use the trail PLEASE be respectful. Like it has been said this an exceptional trail, lots of time, sweat and blood were put into making this happen and there is room for more trails.
i actually walked with them as they were taping off another "buggy only" line, to be approved. so if we are responsible, more trails will come.
btw... the guys taping off the buggy line i walked are the same guys who design the coarse at the groundhog rockcrawl comp.

There are 2 sections, upper and lower. the lower is much more challenging and solid axels are a must. winch is also near necessity. there are harder option lines and a play area or two. the upper section gets out of the trees and has incredible views. but has slightly smaller rocks.

Bobert should post up his pics. i know he has them. i took half.

and there is camping at benson snow park for free, and good campsites at big lake.

#8 ·
A recap of the trail, it felt like we were on the Rubicon, dusty, snow tattered trees with broken tops and large loose rocks. These tight trees took paint off both sides of my roll cage. If you have a Wrangler remove the windshield. If you have a full top you better have an exo cage.

The best part about running this trail is the fact that it is not too often you get to run a trail and not know what is around the next corner. If you’re anything like me you have been wheeling for the last umpteen years on your favorite trails and while it is fun your miss the anticipation of wondering what is up ahead.

If your running a Dana 30 keep your fingers crossed, the only Dana 30 in our 5 man convoy broke an outer axle shaft on the first rock.

Thanks again to all who helped create this trail. I know for a fact this trail will quickly grow in popularity.

Attachments

#9 ·
Yup exactly what hckstr09 said be respectful of the trail. We had to pay close attention to the brown trail markers some are very hard to spot. But in alot of areas they put the trail boundry markers out alittle ways off the main trail to allow for play time in the rocks along the trail. The bonus lines are sweet, very technical. Can't wait to see the other stuff as it comes accessible, and also can't wait till the trail gets some people through it and it gets alittle dug out and some of the silt dust moved out. It should make it a bit harder...

#11 · (Edited)
I am glad you all like the new trail and will pass all the compliments along at our next DC4W meeting. I was especially glad to hear that people on here are asking everyone to be respectful of the boundaries and keep the place picked up. Yes it took years to create. Yes it was all done by hand, no heavy equipment just strong hands and some ******* engineering. There are some side trails for the very serious and built rigs but the main trail is no slouch either. This trail is no gravel road and not for beginners or those that travel alone. Also you do not need a chainsaw to run this trail and please unstack anything you stack. I can also guarantee that we are all being watched very closely by everyone in the area that hates us,{ some have a permanent outpost on the next hill to the west }. I hope we get the chance to put in the next side trail because it will be a beauty. Keep the pics coming and if you get the chance drop by www.deschutescounty4wheelers.com and say hi.

#12 ·
Thanks again. We had a great time. The directions getting out are a little lean. At the top of the trail turn right then take your next left and stay on the beaten path. Eventually you will end up back at a different staging area and have to drive on the pavment for a bit to get back to camp.

Here are a couple pics cory took. The one of me on the rock is because there is a bees next right next to the tree coming up the hill. We pissed them off a little and on the decent I did not want to be next to them.

Attachments

#14 ·
This is very true especially if you take the very first side trail, its a good way to kick off the trail straight to the point. Gets the blood a movin on the down hill section before the little rock garden. Also vehicles with side windows beware there are lots of trees that like to get up close and personal.

#15 · (Edited)
I'm a member of Deschutes County 4 Wheelers, and I'm very happy to hear all the positive comments about this trail. Just to reiterate what everyone else is saying, keep the area clean, unstack any rocks you stack (keep it fresh and difficult for everyone), respect the boundary areas (we tried to keep them as large as possible wherever we could so people had lots of room to play), and HAVE FUN! There are people that don't love our sport, and keep a close eye on the area, so the more we can leave it exactly like it is now, the better.

That being said, I sure love the trail! Lots of hard work and muscle went into it, and its so worth it. The main drag through the lower area is challenging but isn't horrible. Like Bobert said, we had a guy go through there with 33's, but he did winch a few times. We have also had a guy with a CJ5 on 35's go through there many many times, and he has a d30 front end, and his damage toll for this year is a dinged exhaust tip! We have had our fair share of carnage though (torn soft tops, mangled windshield frames, tires off the rims, etc) The last pic in the first set of pics posted is a good obstacle, VERY tight rock spot to fit through, especially for full-width rigs! The upper area is great after you make it through the lower section. Its a bit easier and has GREAT scenery! The trail is great to run to the end, then turn around and come back through, instead of going back on the road, just fyi.

Anyway, I love the trail, just thought I'd ramble about it for a bit, it sure is fun and beautiful.

#16 ·
Congrats on the new trail. That is awesome.

Im glad Oregon is getting some new stuff, it seemed for awhile there, more and more stuff gets shut down, with nothing new opening up.

If i ever make it down there, i will leave the area better than I found it...

Thx for taking the time, and putting in the work, to get a new trail opened :smokin:

btw, it looks incredible

#18 · (Edited)
Gladly This is my second fav spot now, and belive Riddler when he says tight I am only able to make it with my full size thanks to the rear steer other wise i wouldnt even try it and would only run it in my cruzer and still use my slidders plenty.I think everyone needs to remember to stay of the trees, rocks will move and can be moved, but trees will die and the evidence will last life times.

Here are some pics that bobert took I copy pasted from my build thread of the opening day run with my friend R Drake (whom the trail is named after)and others

I am sure my bud had to change his draws after this one

#31 ·
Need to get up there before it gets to late, looks awesome! Most of those burnt trees are a burnout we did durring the B&B fire in 03. Looks like it is recovering nicely. Any contact info for the Forest Service people that helped make this happen? I would like to thank them for doing there job as a land manager not a closer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.