Pirate 4x4 banner

2.5L--->AX15 swap update!

226K views 312 replies 98 participants last post by  davecooley808 
#1 ·
OK guys i know a few of you are interested in this. Most people say that an AX15 cannot be mated to a 2.5L in place of the weak ax5.

Well thanks to a tip from Greg_5599. I decided to try this swap.

WHat you need is a bellhousing from a 96-98 4 cyl dodge dakota. The dakota uses the same 2.5l as the wrangler but come with the ax15. These are external slave set ups. I found mine on www.carpart.com for $65 shipped next day. It is in perfect condition and even has a CPS attached.

The CPS location is in almost the exact location.

The new bell is exactly 1" longer than the old. 6.875 vs 7.875"

I found a used AX15 that came with a new internal slave and my old set up is internal so for simplicity i will be going that route.

old set up on the left, new on the right:

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
There is also a difference in the protrusion of the input shaft. The ax5 extends 0.5" and the ax15 is flush with the face of the bellhousing. This will require a 1/2" longer pilot bushing. I left my calipers at work so i havent measure the o.d's of inputs for pilot bushings.

Attachments

#3 ·
The overall length of the ax15 is approximately 2" longer than the ax5 as well. SO d-shaft mods will be required. I will be adding a KLuneV and a flipped D300 as well.

The internal slaves are identical in every dimension but the ax15 version has the bleeder exiting beside the feed line. Where the ax5 exits on the pass side. WIth a little tweaking both the feed and bleeder fit in the hole for the external slave perfectly. I will cut a rubber grommet to keep the two separated and not rubbing on the bell.

I will reuse my pressure plate since it has very low mileage on it.

Now for clutch disks, The ax5 uses a 9" od with a 14 spline 1" id.

You need a 9"-10 spline 1 1/8" ID. The closest piece i found is 9.125" -10 spline 1 1/8". The 9.125 will work fine with the pressure plate, there is enough room to accomodate .0625" all the way around.

I dont have the part# handy but the disk is from a:
1984 CHevy Camero with a 4 banger and a 4 spd tranny. It HAS to be the 4sp 4cyl. Its about $45 bucks at napa. I have not yet purchased mine.

I can post pics of the slave set up tomorrow.

It will be a while before i actually get this set up in my jeep. I am going to move the motor forward and rear axle back some to make room for the klune. PLus i need more money for the klune.

This swap promises to be very simple and cost effective for 2.5L owners. In reality all you need is the tranny, bellhousing, pilot bushing and clutch disk.

#5 ·
cool, nice work

if i'm going to change my tranny might as well get a motor too.

#6 ·
Kickass:beer: to ya. I'm watchin close, the more info the better. Thinkin more along the lines of the 3550, but everything should apply.

#9 ·
kwrangln said:
Kickass:beer: to ya. I'm watchin close, the more info the better. Thinkin more along the lines of the 3550, but everything should apply.
I will list all part numbers and do a full write up when i get everything assembled. I didnt want you to think i bailed on this so i wanted to give a mid swap update. I am buying a house so this is taking longer than i expected.

I need to check the dakota pilot bushing. Getting one and turning it down is no big deal. I believe the AX15 has two different pilot bushing dimensions, and early version & a late version. My tranny is an early version so all the dims may not match a newer ax15 or nv3550 exactly.

I was considering a motor swap, but i like the little 4 banger. It leaves you tons of room to move it forward and with the correct gearing it does just fine on the trail. It will be a trailer whore for the most part so highway performance isnt an issue.

I wanted to do this swap because its easy and fairly cheap. No custom adapters or bellhousings like with the NP435 or sm420 swap. AX15 will be more than enough tranny for the 2.5L.

If anyone wants any specific pics of something just let me know. :beer:

#12 ·
Impressive young man, Impressive! :D THIS is what this board is all about. I love it when damn near everyone says it cant be done or is too hard, and someone has the gumption and balls to figure it out. Good for you. Keep us posted.

#13 ·
Thanks guys, and a big thanks to greg that gave me the tip on the bellhousing.

I know i am not the first to do this, but i will try my best to do a good detailed write up. That way there will be a reference for the future. :D

I will try to get everything done as soon as i can. I will probably bolt tranny up when i get the pilot and clutch just to test fit everything. I will snap a ton of pics when i do.

#16 ·
Randall Edge said:
Should work. The 3550 will work with the AX-15 bellhousing. Clutch disk should be the same. I think the slave is interchangable as well.
Wow, good info, I didn't know AX-15's, and NV3550's shared a bellhousing patturn.

So....

To bolt an AMC (4cyl) engine to an NV (3550) transmission,
you use a bellhousing from a Dodge, that has a Chevy engine bolt patturn on one end, and a Japanese 5spd patturn on the other. :grinpimp:

And they said things were weird when AMC was in charge :D

#19 ·
keith,

you can put a NP435 in there. They dont get much stronger than that. My buddy(papabear on PBB) installed one in his 95YJ behind the 2.5L. Works pretty well. I needed an overdrive thats why i went the ax15 route.

AA will modify a NV4500 plate for the np435, it was about $130, i think. You have to buy a 1" longer input for the 435. Machine a pilot and use a 4 cyl mustang clutch disk.

Call mike at AA he will know what your talking about. He has sold several.

#22 ·
jpnjim said:

Wow, good info, I didn't know AX-15's, and NV3550's shared a bellhousing patturn.
Yep, found that out when someone was considering an engine swap for a TJ. Seems that some dodge trucks came with a 3.9L V-6 and an AX-15. Since the 3.9 has the same bellhousing as a 318 you could probably find a dodge 3.9L bellhousing and use it to mate up a 318 to a TJ with a 3550. The specs on the 3550 are the same as the 3500 that comes stock behind the 318 so it should live. Just something for the TJ guys to ponder.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.