Pirate 4x4 banner

4 Wheel Steer Buggy Project

163K views 805 replies 124 participants last post by  wngrog 
#1 · (Edited)
well, after seeing so many people posting their rigs, plus the fact I finally went through and resized my pictures to fit the board, i'm posting up my 4 wheel steer buggy project which has been named "her ring". hey, i didn't name it, she did. Hendrix Motorsports in Ca built the chassis for me and did a hell of a job. very imressive. this is mike's X-Chassis serial #7. running for now, tbi350/700r4/241c with a pair of front high pinion 60's/35 spline shafts/drive flanges/sitting atop 44's. full hydro steering provided by sean at POS (station). cylinders, orbital, etc to arrive today as per tracking info. the suspense is killing me. picked up alot of items new and used from the board as well as my research/info. thank you all. anyway here's a few pics. constructive criticism is always welcome. shooting for a 3 month long build up. we'll see. :flipoff2:

Attachments

See less See more
#6 · (Edited)
the axles:
2 ford high pinion dana 60's
arb front, spool rear, 4:10 gears (to maintain higher gear strength due to one being used as rear axle - riding on coast side of gear)
35 spline inner/outer w/ 35 spline drive flanges front/rear. no locking hub fuse crap:flipoff2:

Attachments

#10 ·
So do you park it out side or lift the house to move it in!! First thing I did in this house is replace the door header with a new one at 7'-6" with a full clearance door. Looking good, I always like looking at others before re-inventing the wheel for all the misc cr@p.
Kevin

#11 ·
Hey Davey, The hydro looks killer.

He's been working non stop on this thing for maybe 1 month, besides work and keeping the little lady happy, wassap Amy?, this thing is coming together super fast for basically a one man job.

Hendrix's link mounts are so slick it leaves fairly easy math for axle mounts and link length. The link movements are like fluid everything works so well.
Couple more pics.

#17 ·
rockmutt said:
whats the wheelbase?????
"Sick man! Is this a comp rig, or just a fawk around rig?"

"So do you park it out side or lift the house to move it in!! First thing I did in this house is replace the door header with a new one at 7'-6" with a full clearance door. Looking good, I always like looking at others before re-inventing the wheel for all the misc cr@p."
Kevin

==============================================

thanks doug, so far, it gets into the garage by lett'n gas out of the shocks and it lowers to about 2" of shaft left, fits like a glove. a might bit tight eh? maybe comp rig at some point but not for a bit. i don't think i've got enough experience and just haven't checked into various requirements to enter comps yet at this point. hell, you never know. looks like so much fun. building so quick cause i'm impatient and just dying to drive my own idea from scratch.

Attachments

#23 ·
Dan Dibble said:
I like the lines and the overall assembly, I dont think you will have enough motor for the tires, but then again it may be all you want. I have no problem with reliability.

?????????.
Yea, weird huh? Hendrix left them open for options on bumpers or whatever, the tubing is HREW but those open ends are bored to sleeve the ID, I'm not sure how far back though. The whole chassis is joint drilled for an airtank also.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.